Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

• 1.  Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 09-21-2020 07:09 PM

I am looking for some recommendations of sources for pedestals, acrylic tops, etc.  I am also interested in variations that the standard square.

Thanks
    David

------------------------------
    David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 09-22-2020 09:57 AM
    David,

Our company custom fabricates pedestals and vitrines and more from any materials. I'd be happy to send you an estimate. Visit our website http://callahanartandassociates.com/pedestals and let me know what you would like.

Best regards,

--
    Dennis Callahan
    Callahan art & Associates
    Office 1+ 773-278-1111
    Studio 1+ 773-533-1111

P.O. Box 477029
    Chicago, IL 60647
    CallahanArtAndAssociates.com
    visit us on facebook

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 09-22-2020 02:55 PM
    Thank you Dennis - I will look into it

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 4.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 09-22-2020 12:00 PM
    Hi David,

We recently used Custom Edge out of Tacoma (Lakewood, technically) to fabricate some custom vitrines for a traveling exhibit. They turned out really nice.  They traveled to Maine on a non-exclusive truck and made it without any issues.

Point Of Purchase Displays | Custom Edge Inc | United States
    Custom Edge Inc remove preview
    Point Of Purchase Displays | Custom Edge Inc | United States
    Custom Edge produces quality store fixtures, point of purchase displays, sign & literature holders, and museum quality display cases for some of the world's finest retailers, exhibitors and brands. Our products are proudly manufactured at our 11,000 SF facility located in Lakewood, WA.
    View this on Custom Edge Inc >

Erin Quinn Valcho
    equinnva@ci.lacey.wa.us
    Museum Curator
    Lacey Museum
    Lacey WA

• 5.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 09-22-2020 02:55 PM
    Thank you Erin - I will check them out.

David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA

• 6.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 09-23-2020 09:46 AM
    Heads up that acrylic deliveries are delayed right now due to extensive fabrication of sneeze guards (now coronavirus guards).

Below are options that typically use glass:

For very basic, inexpensive, quicker delivery: https://www.displays2go.com/Class/Museum-Pedestals-Tables-1102 

For top top quality: http://www.clicknetherfield.com/

In the middle would suggest a local quality cabinetry shop for convenience and to save shipping.

Best of luck!

John Corcoran
    Director, Attraction Development
    Ripley Entertainment
    Orlando FL

• 7.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 09-24-2020 07:50 PM

While many offering regular acrylic may be low on stock due to ever increasing COVID related demands, Tru Vue has healthy inventory and our suppliers are willing and able to take orders. There are COVID and natural disaster related challenges with transport, however, so lead times may be longer than normal.

Yadin Larochette
    Museum + Conservation Liaison
    Tru Vue - Optium Acrylic Glazing
    McCook IL

• 8.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 09-25-2020 08:01 AM
    If you have not used Tru Vue acrylic in the past, this is a great time to switch to their quality controlled and superior product. We do not use any other brand of acrylic.  Tru Vue has a proven track record and we are assured of giving our clients the highest quality for clarity of viewing the artwork and protection as many of their pieces end up in museum collections.

Laney Lewis
    The Fine Arts Conservancy
    West Palm Beach, FL

• 9.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 10-20-2020 07:53 PM
    Tue View is deliciously beautiful. It is profoudly expensive.

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 10.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 10-21-2020 10:01 AM
    While it is true that TruVue Optium Museum acrylic is by comparison expensive, TruVue has a broad product line that includes regular, conservation, reflection control, conservation reflection control, and regular Optium acrylic.  Optium Museum acrylic is also available in three thicknesses, so there are many price points.

Vitrines are typically fabricated from regular acrylic, sometimes conservation, but rarely from Optium due to the challenges of solvent welding around the optical coating. (That's not to say that it can't be done, SmallCorp has a proprietary method.)

In many framing applications, the benefits of Optium are greatly outweighed by the costs.  Benefits such as anti-static, scratch resistance and of course, near elimination of reflection.  If you invest in framing an artwork for exhibition and your audience can't see it, your money spent has been wasted.  In this case, you get what you pay for.

Not a TruVue rep, just a 35+ year framer.

Scott Lewis
    Preparator
    Colgate University Museums
    Hamilton NY

• 11.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 10-21-2020 11:05 AM
    Solid point there Scott, they do have a variety of lines. If folks can afford the Optimum Museum quality plex, OMG, it will change your life. It's so beautiful and like you said, there's the UV and anti-static features. Recently we used it for it's anti-static feature because we were traveling a show and didn't want to risk glass breakage as the work toured for 2 years.
    Good Luck out there everyone,
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 12.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 10-21-2020 05:52 PM

Thank you Laney, Scott and Matthew for being such awesome advocates! While it's true that Optium is more expensive, the one other property not mentioned as of yet is abrasion resistance: The hard coat applied to the Optium acrylic substrate makes it last longer than standard acrylic. The initial investment pays off in the long run for permanent displays and framing, and can be re-used if included in short term situations.

And while also true that Optium is more challenging to build cases with, there are several fabricators across the US that have been working with it, SmallCorp among them.

I'm happy to send glazing samples to practice fabrication, a list of fabricators, and local distributors to anyone interested.

Yadin Larochette

Museum and Conservation Liaison- Americas

Tru Vue, Inc.  |  9400 West 55th Street  |  McCook, IL 60525

Cell: 312.758.3737 |  Fax: 708.854.2660

ylarochette@tru-vue.com

http://tru-vue.com/museums-collections/

• 13.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 10-21-2020 06:02 PM
    Oh, one more tip that Yadin reminded me of, bag your framing plex after each show (Optium or otherwise), it's a bit arduous, but pays for itself in the long run, plex on plex faces will definitely scratch over time. This isn't very applicable to you David, but just thought I'd throw out one more tip.

I love Small Corp, I haven't used them, but love their newsletter.

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 14.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 10-20-2020 07:58 PM
    Hi David,

I'd look for a local cabinet builder. Someone you can have an ongoing relationship with. A large exhibits company is fine for a large order, but they (generally) don't want to run one off peds now and again. The same goes for plex. I LOVE my plex builder, Mary has been doing our cases (big and small) for 10 years now. Relationships matter. Interview 5+ people for both categories, visit shops. It's worth the time to get it right now. 
    As for unusual variation I can only say that I enjoy having a variety of squares and rectangles to make exhibits work. Unusual sizes and shapes have gone by the way side here at the Crocker.
    Good Luck which ever way you go!
    Feel free to ask any questions back...

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 15.  RE: Pedestals - Standard and Variations - sources

Posted 10-23-2020 03:43 PM
    A local cabinet shop may be just fine depending on your needs and budget. If you are displaying objects with more stringent conservation requirements you may want to contact a company such as ours that specializes in producing museum quality display cases. As all of our cases are built to order we work with our clients  to provide the sizes, shapes, finishes and other details that meet their specific requirements.

Steve Meyer
    Artifact Cases by Proto Productions
    Addison Illinois
    630-628-6626
    steve@protoproductions.com