Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

• 1.  NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-24-2018 04:15 PM
    Hi all,

I am hoping to propose a session for AAM 2019 on the topic of negotiating skills and advocating for yourself in the workplace. In general, I don't think there are enough industry resources on how to successfully negotiate during salary and promotion conversations--it remains somewhat of a taboo topic but is so important to museum professionals in all stages of their career! In addition to fiscal negotiations, I think it's also important to discuss other ways in which we can advocate for ourselves in the workplace (professional development resources, special project assignments, etc.). 

I am by no means an expert on the topic, and would propose bringing together a variety of viewpoints as a panel. In particular, I think it would be helpful to have someone in an HR position, someone with a long history of successful negotiations, and perhaps someone from AAM who works on their salary survey and can discuss industry trends. If you think you could provide valuable perspective to this topic, please let me know! Also, if this topic interests you in general let me know--I'm curious as to how much of an appeal it would have to the AAM audience, but judging by conversations I've had with colleagues it sounds like everyone could benefit from a candid and helpful discussion on the topic.

Cheers,
    Lindsay Grinstead
    Executive Assistant and Project Manager
    Chazen Museum of Art

------------------------------
    Lindsay Grinstead
    Executive Assistant to the Director and Project Manager
    Chazen Museum of Art
    Madison WI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-27-2018 10:07 AM
    I find this a very interesting topic and believe that it starts with a strong CEO/ED that wishes to be a compassionate employer that provides funds for professional development (that is often chosen by the employee).  Salary surveys are very important in justifying to the board.  All of our employees are better than the 50th percentile and many are 75-90th.  Our full time employees receive a platinum level BCBS health insurance.
    I'd love to see the session, but do not  wish to be a panelist.
    Bobby Welch Gadsden Cultural Arts Foundation

Robert Welch
    Executive Director
    Mary G. Hardin Center For Cultural Arts
    Gadsden AL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-27-2018 10:20 AM
    Edited by Jaclyn Kelly 08-29-2018 11:59 AM
    Hi Lindsay, I read your post with great interest.  It is a much needed topic for workers that (due to a variety of factors I won't rehash here) often don't feel like they have a lot of leverage.  Another important piece of your panel idea on negotiating for career and salary growth you may want to consider is organized labor.  At my employer we bargain as a group and therefore have significantly more leverage.  We have guaranteed raises, 401(k) contributions and matches, healthcare costs, and non-financial benefits such as scheduling parameters.  We also have language in our contract to support career growth regarding new positions.

One thing to consider about negotiating collectively is that you can use negotiations to benefit both yourself and the industry as a whole.  I very much view our work with the local as part of the larger project of creating a more diverse, equitable museum industry.  We keep positions as well-paying as possible (we routinely negotiate with management to increase the "floor" of current or proposed positions) and negotiate to create as many full time positions as possible.  Just today (August 27th) the weekly Leadership Matters blog said "Maybe, just maybe, there's a recognition that an all-white, all-privileged field is not such a great thing and creating a more diverse field means making it a better paid field."  By negotiating as a group with management, we benefit not only ourselves but also support a local museum workforce accessible to people who depend solely on their own labor for money; a workforce that doesn't require access to other sources of money as a prerequisite for getting a job.  Since issues of income inequality hit communities of color the hardest, I hope we are, in some small way, fostering a jobs climate accessible to would-be museum workers of color.

Perhaps this is not exactly what you were thinking of for your panel, but I hope this somewhat expansive idea of "negotiating" is food for thought.  I'd be happy to help with the panel discussion in any way.  Thank you.  

Jaclyn J. Kelly
    President, AFSCME Local 526, AFL-CIO   

Jaclyn Kelly
    Educator II
    Milwaukee Public Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 4.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-27-2018 10:59 AM
    Dear colleagues:

Negotiation strategies are key in the museum field where constantly rising, yet unresourced, expectations on workers that produce task saturation, time poverty, resulting stress, burn- & push-out (Thistle 2017).

See my blog post  "Review of the Best Book for Fully Loaded Camels" at Review of Best Book for Fully Loaded Camels
    Solving Task Saturation for Museum Workers remove preview
    Review of Best Book for Fully Loaded Camels
    Ury, William (2007) The Power of a Positive No: How to Say No and Still Get to Yes, New York: Bantam Dell. 'Read to better balance my work and non-work life? I don't have time for that!' What workers who feel like fully loaded camels operating under a constant rain of straws (read rising and altogether...
    View this on Solving Task Saturation for Museum Workers >

Author William Ury, Director of the Global Negotiation Project at Harvard, presents a practical strategy for placing the worker's real world circumstances of the job into the necessary negotiations. Ury argues that workers presented with unrealistic demands must base their "No" response to unrealistic demands on first saying a positive "Yes" to the workers' own values and core interests (Ury 2007: 2, 17-18, 34, 43, 80-1, passim).

Ury (2007) truly is the best book for overwhelmed museum workers who need to renegotiate the chronic unresourced expectations in our field.

References Cited:

Paul C. Thistle. 2017. "Museum Workers Leaving the Field: Survey Results & Solutions." Solving Task Saturation for Museum workers blog posted 14 November at Museum Workers Leaving the Field: Survey Results & Solutions

Solving Task Saturation for Museum Workers remove preview
    Museum Workers Leaving the Field: Survey Results & Solutions
    The conversation often starts with, "I love working in museums, but I don't think I can do it anymore because of [insert reason here]. I'm thinking about getting out of museums altogether" (Erdman et al. 2017). Anecdotes from conversations like the above stimulated noted museum bloggers Sarah Erdman, Marieke Van Damme, Claudia Ocello, and Dawn...
    View this on Solving Task Saturation for Museum Workers >

Paul C. Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford ON

• 5.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-29-2018 02:28 PM
    Hi All, 
    Great topic! On a related note, I am the moderator for a proposed AAM session about wage inequality and low/no pay labor within the field. The heavy interactive lecture will emphasize possible solutions. I'm looking for a third panelist. If interested, please contact me directly.

Kristina Durocher
    Director
    Museum of Art - University of New Hampshire
    Durham NH
    kristina.durocher@unh.edu
    (603) 862-1996

• 6.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-27-2018 12:10 PM
    Great idea Lindsay!

Blair Denniberg
    Executive Assistant- Finance
    Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
    Portland OR

• 7.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-28-2018 06:25 AM
    Please contact Wyona Lynch-McWhite, Vice President at Arts Consulting Group, who guides a variety of executive searches, serves on the AAM Diversity Committee, and previously was Director at the Fruitlands Museum and Fuller Craft Museum. She can be reached at wlynchmcwhite@ArtsConsulting.com or (888) 234.4236. Thank you.

Bruce D. Thibodeau, DBA
    President
    Arts Consulting Group
    Boston MA

• 8.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-28-2018 09:42 AM
    I too reiterate Jaclyn's comment as food for thought.  I also work in a museum where most staff are union members, either of the OPEIU or SEIU.  We gain so much more through collective bargaining than we could ever accomplish alone.

Again, not necessarily on the mark with what you are looking for in terms of panelists, but a topic that you should perhaps mention in your session.

I would be happy to discuss my specific experiences with our unions at Mia if it would be useful.

Kind regards,
    Leslie Ory Lewellen
    Associate Registrar for Acquisitions
    OPEIU (Office and Professional Employees International Union) Local 12, Union Steward
    Minneapolis Institute of Art

Leslie Ory Lewellen
    Associate Registrar for Acquisitions
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    Minneapolis MN

• 9.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-28-2018 09:44 AM
    ​Great panel discussion idea! I'd certainly attend and will be ready to take notes :)

Aysha Preston
    Museum Registrar, Museum of Contemporary Art of North Miami
    North Miami FL

• 10.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-28-2018 01:53 PM
    Greetings Lindsay:

I'm not sure if my forthcoming book How to Get a Museum Job: An Insider's Perspective (Rowman & Littlefield) would be helpful but you can contact me directly for more information.  The museums I worked in over the years never had unions or specific advancement tracks. Any negotiating was on a one-to-one basis with internal bosses reflecting where I wanted to go, or, with hiring committees in the case of seeking directing positions.   

It sounds like a good session.

Regards,

Steve

sh.miller2@verizon.net

Steven Miller
    Executive Director Ret.
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 11.  RE: NEGOTIATING YOUR WAY UP: AAM 2019 Panelists Needed!

Posted 08-29-2018 10:38 AM
    Hi Lindsay,

This is an interesting topic...Elizabeth Merritt at AAM may be able to suggest someone to talk about salary trends. She can be reached at emerritt@aam-us.org.

Dean Phelus
    Sr. Director, Leadership Programs
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA