Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vinyl Cutter Machine Recommendations

Posted 01-10-2022 10:08 AM
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/recommendations on vinyl cutters? Our museum is looking into buying one to create exhibit signage. Previously we used a company here in town, but it is more cost-effective to just cut and mount the letters ourselves. 

Right now I am looking into machines that can cut 24-inch letters.

------------------------------
    Lisa Highsmith
    Curator
    Mayer Museum
    San Angelo TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Vinyl Cutter Machine Recommendations

Posted 01-11-2022 12:09 PM
    We have a Graphtec 24" plotter. It has served us well for over 12 years. It integrates seamlessly with Illustrator with its free software. Someday I'd love to get the next size up (widthwise), but you can do a ton with 24". I'm happy to talk further or offer tips and tricks if you run into any troubles. I have a large how-to on MuseumTrade.org if you wanted to see me putting up a title wall?
    https://museumtrade.org/custom-vinyl-letters-for-the-title-wall-in-our-museum-including-a-failure/

Good Luck,
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Vinyl Cutter Machine Recommendations

Posted 01-12-2022 01:42 PM
    Hello Matt,

Thank you so much for your input! Twelve years is a testament to the brand's quality, and I will be forwarding this to the Museum's director for consideration. Once they decide what model to go with, I will definitely reach out to you if I have questions.

Sincerely,
    Lisa

Lisa Highsmith
    Curator
    Mayer Museum
    San Angelo TX

• 4.  RE: Vinyl Cutter Machine Recommendations

Posted 01-25-2022 11:22 AM
    Hi Lisa,
        A bit late to the conversation, but wanted to add a very positive review of the vinyl cutter that we brought onboard at the Nasher back in 2007.  It's a Roland 30" GX-300 ( https://www.rolanddga.com/support/products/cutting/camm-1-pro-series-gx-300-30-vinyl-cutter ) and has been an absolute workhorse through a long history of exhibitions and other museum applications (need a last minute parking lot sign?...done!).  Like Matt, I've always used a plug-in for Illustrator that came with the machine, as I'm most comfortable working in it....although I imagine the Roland sign-making software is fairly easy to learn.  Though the cutter will handle vinyl rolls up to 30", I seldom use anything wider than a 24" roll for our needs.  I will add that I worked at a couple of sign shops prior to my museum career, one of which used a Graphtec plotter, and they are also terrific, reliable machines.    
        Needless to say, being able to produce, install, and edit(!) wall text and signage in-house has been a game-changer for the whole exhibition team. I wish you well in your hunt, and feel free to contact me if I can be of help!        

Alan Dippy
    Senior Preparator
    Nasher Museum of Art - Duke University
    Durham NC

• 5.  RE: Vinyl Cutter Machine Recommendations

Posted 01-26-2022 09:48 AM

I would encourage you to look for other solutions besides vinyl. People are becoming more and more aware that vinyl that contains PVC and/or phalates is toxic to human health causing infertility and changes to human hormones. Also PVC production happens primarily in in "Cancer Alley" in SW Louisiana and causes sickness and death to a low-income community of color. For lettering, consider stencils created on a laser cutter or silk-screens. Here are some articles if you would like to read more. 

https://www.greendotsign.com/gdsnews/vinyl-an-honest-conversation/

https://www.sixclasses.org/videos/bisphenols-phthalates

Douglas Flandro
    Exhibit Designer
    Cambridge Seven Associates, Inc.
    Cambridge MA