Open Forum

View Only

Expert Volunteers during slow visitation

• 1.  Expert Volunteers during slow visitation

Posted 10-09-2017 10:14 AM

Hello,

I work at a museum with an educational exhibit focusing on social justice that in part features the story of Anne Frank and Holocaust education. It is a powerful and wonderful exhibit, but sometimes it is not a heavily visited part of the museum. I coordinate the volunteers within this space, and many of them are subject matter experts. There are two in particular; one is a woman who is an Anne Frank expert who, as part of her studies, has travelled to every place that Anne Frank ever lived and walked in her footsteps. The other volunteer - his parents were both Holocaust survivors, and his father is featured in video clips in parts of our exhibit has well as the Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC. This volunteer is a subject matter expert on Auschwitz and gives a short presentation about his parents titled "Stories of Surviving the Holocaust" within the Anne Frank space as part of his volunteering shift. Both of these volunteers feel strongly (as do I) about their mission of outreach and Holocaust education, awareness, and remembrance.

Volunteers usually come in for 2-3 hours and we usually schedule them to "host" within the exhibit. We have them use a cart with a stool and usually they will pull out a few historic objects and props, books, scrapbooks, and photos to engage with guests in the exhibit. Many times during their volunteering shifts, there is no one or very few guests in the exhibit. During these slow times, I have trouble thinking of activities for them to do or ways to make them feel engaged and like a meaningful part of our team and the exhibit.

Even when the exhibit is well attended, it is still challenging for some volunteers to initiate interactions with guests. One volunteer expressed that they feel like they're at a booth at the mall, trying to get reluctant customers to come over. Beyond that, the subject matter and topic can be a challenging conversation to begin.

How can I facilitate a successful volunteer experience where these people can feel utilized and effective? I want to foster their success and give them tools to succeed. Does anyone have similar experiences and tools that they used or ideas they tried?

Amy Lamar

Lead Interpreter, Core Exhibits

The Children's Museum of Indianapolis

3000 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46208-4716

Amy Lamar
    Lead Interpreter Core/POC

The Children's Museum of Indianapolis
    P. O. Box 3000 | Indianapolis, IN 46206-3000
    Office: 317-334-3726
    amyla@childrensmuseum.org
    www.childrensmuseum.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more