Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Call for presenters: AAM session on teen programs

Posted 08-29-2017 11:58 AM
    Hello,

I'm looking for another presenter for an AAM roundtable session exploring the question of what teen programs can do to promote global literacy-thinking critically about the world, understanding global systems, circumstances, and relationships, and being empowered to effect change in an increasingly interconnected world.

If this is something you're thinking about at your museum, let's talk! 

------------------------------
    Linda Alvarez
    Teen Programs Coordinator
    Phoenix Art Museum
    Phoenix AZ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Call for presenters: AAM session on teen programs

Posted 08-30-2017 10:13 AM
    Hey Linda,

I would love to hear more about what you have in mind. I run several teen and high school programs that have an emphasis on critical consciousness and critical action. Most of it is not necessarily global, though since I work at an anthropology museum colonialism does come up often. My email is tleisc@upenn.edu. Let's try to find a time to talk on the phone since the due date is very close.

Best,
    Thomas

Thomas Leischner
    Museum Educator
    Penn Museum - University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Call for presenters: AAM session on teen programs

Posted 08-30-2017 01:13 PM
    ​Hi Linda,

We have a fairly large suite of teen programs that we offer at Shedd Aquarium, several of which, hit on the topics that you mentioned. I'm with Thomas, I'd love to hear more about what your thoughts are for the presentation/roundtable. I can be reached at rbirk@sheddaquarium.org to chat further.

Thanks!
    Renee

Renee Birk
    Assistant Director
    John G. Shedd Aquarium
    Chicago IL