Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  2020 AAM Annual Meeting Session Topic Ideas

Posted 07-09-2019 02:45 PM

What topics are you most interested in learning at the 2020 AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo? We want your input on the session topics you'd like featured at the annual meeting. Your suggestions will help us with the upcoming Call for Proposals opening in August. Your suggestions will be valuable for the submitters, the National Program Committee and staff so that we can provide you with the best educational content possible.

Suggest a New Topic

*THIS IS NOT FOR SESSION PROPOSAL SUBMISSIONS. THE SESSION PROPOSAL SITE WILL OPEN IN AUGUST. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER PROPOSAL IDEAS. THANK YOU.

------------------------------
    Tiffany Burns
    Manager, Conference Education
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: 2020 AAM Annual Meeting Session Topic Ideas

Posted 07-10-2019 09:31 AM
    1. Volunteerism (i.e. planning, recruiting, on-boarding, on-going support & management)
    2. Internships ​(definition; processes/procedures; recruitment/management; funding)
    3. Explaining/clarifying fundraising for the programming and operational support staff

Herbert Jones
    Volunteer & Intern Programs Manager
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: 2020 AAM Annual Meeting Session Topic Ideas

Posted 07-10-2019 12:00 PM
    I think the Museum field in general has not been discussing enough the challenges and opportunities around on-line learning models. There will come a time when students spend more time at home learning on their own with virtual teachers or online programs. How will the Museum field poise itself to be a place of interactive, 3D learning that cannot be replaced?

Elisabeth Ward
    Executive Director
    Los Altos History Museum
    Los Altos CA

• 4.  RE: 2020 AAM Annual Meeting Session Topic Ideas

Posted 07-12-2019 02:59 PM
    Hi Tiffany,

Wearing my Historic Houses and Sites Professional Network hat, I think it would be incredibly useful to see sessions dedicated to the following:

-Diversity: particularly how to reconcile the stories we tell with relevance to the greater community and audiences. For those of us for whom the building and site history is a major mission focus, it can be a challenge to reach and resonate with diverse populations.
    -Facilities: preservation, sustainability, and access are evergreen topics that speak to all institutions, particularly those with historic structures.
    -Infrastructure: past conferences have been heavily weighted towards education and programs, when such topics could be addressed in the context of resource management and allocation. Governance, finance and operations are less sexy but important utilitarian concerns, and ones that would benefit organizations of all sizes and disciplines. Integrating program strategy with institutional capacity could be really great.

Just some ideas off the top of my head. I look forward to seeing what others offer!

Rebekah Beaulieu
    Director
    Florence Griswold Museum
    Old Lyme CT

• 5.  RE: 2020 AAM Annual Meeting Session Topic Ideas

Posted 07-16-2019 09:33 AM
    Tiffany,

My most recent experiences at AAM say that attendees are looking for those tool kit, or nuts and bolts sessions along with the "think big thoughts and change the world" sessions so I would suggest topics that deal with the realities of historic houses and sites (the house IS a collection item, certainly not purpose built to be a museum, etc. etc.), practical ideas for programs, managing volunteer programs, the importance of good care of staff (professional development, appropriate management, rights, pay, benefits), dealing effectively with boards and other governing bodies, effective membership programs and structures, effective development strategies for different types of organizations.

Ann Loshaw
    Consultant
    Grosse Pointe Park MI