Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Advice on angled shelf

Posted 11-04-2021 10:38 AM
    Hello all, 

I am working on an exhibition of miniature paintings on paper and would like to display them on an angled shelf that hangs 40-45 degrees off the wall. Has anyone purchased brackets for these before? I am having a hard time finding anything pre-fabricated that would work. 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Veronica Cianfrano
    Curator
    Melton Gallery
    University of Central Oklahoma
    Edmond, OK
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Advice on angled shelf

Posted 11-05-2021 09:30 AM
    Hello Ms. Cianfrano,

Here is one that adjusts to 50 degrees (though that's not quite the 45 you requested):

Adj. Shelf Brkt Steel LdCap 35lb PK48
    Govets remove preview
    Adj. Shelf Brkt Steel LdCap 35lb PK48
    Buy Econoco item #SW/AJ12 from our huge selection of Material Handling to show your support for our ♻ Socially Responsible Veteran-Owned Business.
    View this on Govets >

Here's one that may go to 45 degrees, but it doesn't say. It's infinitely adjustable within its range though:

Adjustable Gridwall Shelf Bracket - STORE FIXTURES, USA

STORE FIXTURES, USA remove preview
    Adjustable Gridwall Shelf Bracket - STORE FIXTURES, USA
    Adjustable tilt straight bracket with lip. Accepts shelf rests and bumpers for glass shelves. Works well with wood, bullnose plastic shelves or with tempered glass shelving. Color: chrome. Shippable by FedEx 12" $3.25 each Item #: GWKBA12 14" $4.00 each Item #: GWKBA14
    View this on STORE FIXTURES, USA >

Here's one that does go to 45 degrees:

https://www.storesupply.com/pc-12386-539-12-adjustable-slatwall-shelf-brackets-45141.aspx

This one is available in sizes down to 8" (most of the others come only in 12 or 10"):

Slatwall Adjustable Glass Shelf Bracket
    www.acmeshelving.com remove preview
    Slatwall Adjustable Glass Shelf Bracket
    Product Description: Slatwall Adjustable Glass Shelf Brackets>Chrome Only>Adjustable to 5 Positions>Available in 4 Sizes: 8", 10", 12" and 14">Sold In Packages Of 25>10% Discount Applied
    View this on www.acmeshelving.com >

There are more. I found these running a Google image search with "adjustable gridwall shelf brackets" in the search field. Good luck!

Cordially,

Paul Pallansch

Paul Pallansch
    Dot-Connector,
    Up-Close Realism
    Silver Spring MD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Advice on angled shelf

Posted 11-08-2021 05:07 PM
    Hi Veronica,

Last week, I was looking for a pre-fab angled shelf for a client. We tried searching for angled shelves, magazine racks, shoe racks, etc. We didn't find anything and are having a local metal worker make some for us.

I don't know if this might work for you, but there is a company that makes angled reader rails. They don't wall mount, but maybe they could do something for you? MuseumRails and MuseumSigns

I noticed that Paul Pallansch's suggestions mount onto a slat wall. If you are dealing with regular drywall walls, that might not work for you.

Good luck with your project!

Melanie Greenaway
    Exhibit Designer
    Double Dare Design
    North Vancouver BC

• 4.  RE: Advice on angled shelf

Posted 11-08-2021 11:37 AM
    Thank you for searching for this, Mr. Pallansch. Unfortunately, I will have to attach our shelf to drywall so the brackets that need to adhere to a slatted wall or grid wall won't work. 
    Regards, 
    Veronica

Veronica Cianfrano
    Curator
    Melton Gallery
    Edmond, OK

• 5.  RE: Advice on angled shelf

Posted 11-08-2021 07:34 PM
    Hello Ms. Cianfrano,
    You could always cut thin pieces of wood that fit behind the bracket mounts to hold them parallel to the wall, then drive screws through the holes in the brackets into the studs, or into drywall anchors, for locations between the studs. The spacers could be painted to match the wall, for the least obtrusive look. You could even paint the mounting brackets to match, along with the screws.
    Alternately, you could put in one long wood strip to drive the screws into, and another under it to bring the brackets parallel to the wall. Each could be secured to the studs, leaving plenty of places to screw the brackets into that are independent of the studs. Though more visible, these could be incorporated into the exhibit design and look quite good, possibly matching the shelf material or the picture frames' finish.

Cordially,

Paul Pallansch

Paul Pallansch
    Dot-Connector,
    Up-Close Realism
    Silver Spring MD

• 6.  RE: Advice on angled shelf

Posted 11-09-2021 09:43 AM
    Hi Veronica,

it has been a while, i am so happy to see you are doing well!

we fabricated them in house when we couldn't find them, i have attached photos of the ones we made.  the post it is on the inset cleat, which is angled to slip into a cleat on the wall and remain flush.  these were made to hold booklets, but you could make them to fit your needs as well.  they come in handy, we have used them several times. 

Alison

Alison Walsh
    Yale Architecture Gallery
    Exhibitions Coordinator/Registrar
    New Haven CT

• 7.  RE: Advice on angled shelf

Posted 11-10-2021 08:44 AM
    Edited by Jason Jay Stevens 11-10-2021 08:47 AM
    Hello!
    My company started manufacturing and selling 30° museum brackets earlier this year, precisely to solve this kind of problem. We've been using them for years -- they come in super handy when a reader rail or angled shelf is needed! We even keep a bunch in our roadkit because they're so useful when improvising solutions on-site. We decided we should market them to other museum professionals -- we make a range of styles, and can customize the colors. We are only making the 30° angle right now (60° if you flip it!), because it is an optimal angle for many applications -- 45° display shelves are pretty steep. 
    They're sturdy, easy to use, and can be mounted wherever you want to mount them!
    I hope these help folks the way they've helped us!

Jason Jay Stevens
    Exhibit Designer/Principal
    Flutter & Wow Museum Projects
    Ann Arbor MI

• 8.  RE: Advice on angled shelf

Posted 11-10-2021 10:32 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I ended up finding someone on Etsy who can make custom brackets and ordered through them. I appreciate all your help!

Regards,

Veronica Cianfrano, MFA (she/her)

Gallery Director

Melton Gallery

College of Fine Arts and Design

Phone: 405-974-2432

Web: meltongallery.com

Instagram/Twitter: @ucomeltongallery

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpnl5u_sLSp48LFQIbkohZw