Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Object ID Removal

Posted 05-10-2019 11:22 AM

Hi All,

My museum just implemented a new Collections Policy that is leading to a redefining of our collection. We are in the process of some mass deaccessioning of items that simply don't relate to our story. These items have been marked with our object ID number, and I am looking for advice on how to remove that number without causing harm to the objects. Do any of you have any experience with this that would be able to share insights with me or know of any resources I can look into?

Thanks!

Shelby

------------------------------
    Shelby Miller
    Curator/Dr. of Education and Outreach
    Galena History Museum
    Galena IL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Object ID Removal

Posted 05-13-2019 09:17 AM
    Hello Shelby,

Your project for removing accession numbers from objects is indeed a challenge. It entails at least two instances of "it depends" for each item. From one point of view, it could become a conservation treatment for every procedure to avoid harming the object, assuming that the number can be removed. In the best scenario, easily-removable materials were applied to stable and impermeable surfaces -- one can only hope. Other scenarios might well include resistant materials applied to delicate substrates. it is easy to envision the damage: abrasion, tidelines and staining on paper; damage to clear finishes or paint on organic materials; rips and tears of textiles; ad nauseam.

I suppose that one could take the attitude that the objects in question are not (or soon won't be) permanent collections, so, how careful do you need to be when removing old numbers? I am not recommending free reign with scrapers, strong solvents or other aggressive treatments, mind you. Alternatives to complete removal of the accession numbers might include removal of the covering layer (if any) and the number itself, if the base layer (if any) cannot be removed safely. I suppose that obscuring the number with new opaque layers of something is an alternative. Sometimes museum staff even send an object out of the collection with the accession number intact, thinking, "Does it really matter?" I don't have a good answer to that, assuming that the applied number is very resistant to removal.

In my own experience, deaccessioned items were sent out the door with our accession numbers only partially removed, or merely obliterated. We balked at the thought of removing patina, surface coatings, or any bits of original materials by mistake. I doubt that we ever sent away any object with a complete accession number on it, but I wonder what the consequences might be if we did. Perhaps other folks on the listserv have better answers about that.

In any case, there are seldom any easy answers, and I apologize for taking so long to express that. Good luck in this project!

Best,

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Cooperstown NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Object ID Removal

Posted 05-13-2019 09:59 AM
    Edited by David Clapp 05-13-2019 09:59 AM
    Good Morning Shelby,
    I do agree with Bruce. We all hope that the objects were marked with a good non-acidic base layer. I would worry of causing more damage regardless of the materials and the precautions we hope the previous owners have taken. Appelbaum even states (I'm loosely quoting) that reversability doesn't safeguard against damage (Reversibility on pgs. 353-359 in "Conservation Treatment Methodology").

I've been going through our non-porous, stable objects in the collection (glazed ceramic and silver at the moment) and removing old, non-relevant numbering systems (with attempts to keep them within the database as the old numbers) with cotton swabs and nail polish remover. At times, I've used plastic tweezers to help score the super thick nail polish and other marking materials with the knowledge that metal and glazed ceramic are stronger than and resistant to any damage of plastic. It takes me at least 5-10 minutes to remove the marking systems (nail polish) from the glazed ceramics if not much longer. This process can be highly time consuming and highly annoying at times but it can be weighed by you and your staff prior to starting it.

If I received or see any object that is porous and has an old numbering system (e.g. wood seen in our decorative arts/furniture collection), I wouldn't try to remove the numbering systems due to my worry about damaging the object with any solvent used. I would simply either use the lease evasive method when marking as possible (archival tags with pencil) or using multiple layers of B-72 and a different color of archival ink than the old/previous numbers. I would definitely make the notation in the object records and notify the staff about the markings to look for.

Of course, the lack of any previous markings/numbering is ideal but the preservation of the object takes more of a priority. Consultation with a regional conservator and the books Museum Registration Methods, and Conservation Treatment Methodology can be good places to start. Feel free to contact me if you want to bounce ideas/thoughts.

David Clapp
    Registrar/Collections Manager
    Biggs Museum of American Art, Dover, Delaware
    dclapp@biggsmuseum.org
    302-674-2111 ext. 113

• 4.  RE: Object ID Removal

Posted 05-13-2019 10:40 AM
    Hi David and Bruce, 

I really appreciate both of your thoughtful comments on the subject. The biggest challenge I will find in this, I think, is that the vast majority of the items we are deaccessioning will come from before there were standards for conservation.

When our museum opened in 1938, we accepted anything that came through our doors. We then permanently marked the items with our Object ID numbers without regard to conservation science. Now that we aren't keeping those items, we have to discover the best way to handle these objects.

Our Collection Policy does state that "All identifying catalog numbers shall be removed or disguised before the item leaves the Museum." So now I just have to explore and find the best way to handle this fun project.

Thanks All,
    Shelby

Shelby Miller
    Galena History Museum
    Galena IL

• 5.  RE: Object ID Removal

Posted 05-13-2019 01:18 PM
    Hi Shelby,
    I know we have undergraduate conservation students from a regional (in Delaware) university that will occasionally need experience along with the occasional student interested in Curatorial/Registration. It's one of the things I think I'll be including in an internship for someone looking for experience this summer to assist me with. Possibly good for your situation, especially with enough training?

David Clapp
    dclapp@biggsmuseum.org
    302-674-2111 ext. 113

David Clapp
    dclapp@biggsmuseum.org
    302-674-2111 ext. 113

• 6.  RE: Object ID Removal

Posted 05-13-2019 01:40 PM
    Hi David, 

I have an intern now (tomorrow is her last day with the semester coming to the end). Unfortunately, the universities surrounding my museum in NW Illinois don't have Museum Studies courses. My intern now is a History major with no practical museum experience. I've been working on cultivating relationships with schools to continue to develop more interns and help those wanting to get in the museum world with hands on experience. The closest programs are Chicago, about 3 hours away. And as a museum that cannot offer stipends for interns, it is nearly impossible for us to receive interns from a distance. 

Thanks!

Shelby Miller
    Galena History Museum
    Galena IL