Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Transition to PC computers

Posted 10-07-2021 03:38 PM
    Our IT team has asked us to explore transitioning our graphics and design work to PCs to align with other institutional machines. Our department has been on Macs for ages and I'm hoping to find someone who has made this transition (either successfully or unsuccessfully). Please let me know if you'd be willing to share your experience. 

Thank you! 

Sincerely,
    Emily

------------------------------
    Emily O'Hara
    Curator of Exhibit Design
    Detroit Zoological Society
    Royal Oak, MI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Transition to PC computers

Posted 10-08-2021 10:19 AM
    Dear Emily,

If you are working with Adobe products, I would say that there is little to no difference outside of, possibly, some keyboard shortcuts. We previously exclusively used Macs for our design work but are prohibited by expense and purchasing policy from continuing to do so. I use a Mac at home and a PC in the office and while I prefer Macs in general I have no problems switching back and forth for graphics work. Hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Laurie
    --

Laurie Duke 
    Head of Finance and Administration
    Grey Art Gallery, NYU
    100 Washington Square East
    New York, NY 10003
    laurie.duke@nyu.edu
    Pronouns: she/her/hers

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Transition to PC computers

Posted 10-08-2021 10:38 AM
    Thank you, Laurie!! Do you have any issues with files or formatting when switching between the two? And are you still able to share files with vendors without problem?

Unfortunately, one of our standard fonts (Helvetica Neue) isn't compatible between the two, but we want to make sure we aren't missing anything else in our consideration. 

Sincerely,
    Emily

Emily O'Hara
    Detroit Zoo - Detroit Zoological Society
    Royal Oak, MI

• 4.  RE: Transition to PC computers

Posted 10-08-2021 10:58 AM
    I can't recall any problems with formatting in design files when switching between the two, but I have noticed it with Word documents. You might get more accurate or detailed responses from someone who has made the switch more recently. In my current position I don't do as much design work as I did in the past, so please take my experience with a grain of salt!

Best,
    Laurie

• 5.  RE: Transition to PC computers

Posted 10-11-2021 09:45 AM
    I have Adobe Cloud and have no problems using it on a PC and a Mac Mini. It is an internet platform so works on both. I am still working remotely and use it on my work computer, home computer and the Mac Mini and have no problems logging out of one to use on another (only have 2 licenses). Maybe you need to upgrade to Adobe Cloud? We used to upgrade our Adobe products through Tech Soup and everyone was always on a different version which was a nightmare, regardless of type of computer. If you have a missing font, you may just need to load it onto your PC.

Dana Neitzel, Curator
    San Mateo County Historical Association
    2200 Broadway
    Redwood City, CA 94063
    650-299-0104

• 6.  RE: Transition to PC computers

Posted 10-11-2021 09:57 AM
    Thank you, Dana! I appreciate you sharing your experience. 

I'm glad to hear that you don't lose anything in formatting/etc swapping between the two. Unfortunately, this particular font is proprietary on a Mac, so we can't just load it onto a PC, but we're going to be weighing if that (along with the other feedback we have received) is enough to prevent us from switching or not. 

Sincerely,
    Emily

Emily O'Hara
    Detroit Zoo - Detroit Zoological Society

• 7.  RE: Transition to PC computers

Posted 10-12-2021 12:08 PM
    Emily

You should not have any problems if you have to switch to Windows machines. Check with your vendors in advance when you have to send files for production. If fonts might be an issue, you can convert type to outlines (be sure to save editable type also) before sending for production.

You can buy Neue Helvetica for Windows. I'm not a font expert, but if there are any differences with Helvetica Neue I don't think you'll be able to see them. Do your own research on this.

Hope this helps.

Mark Driscoll, Designer

DRISCOLL DESIGN INC. / 334-294-6663 / www.driscolldesigninc.com

• 8.  RE: Transition to PC computers

Posted 10-12-2021 06:14 AM
    Hi Emily,

I never had much of an issue with graphics between a mac and a PC. The only problem I came across in the field was processing oral history interviews for my GRA. I do not think Adobe Premiere Pro had the issue, but I do know Sound Forge and the other programs we used would not work on my Mac laptop.

Meghan Foster
    Museum Assistant