Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Teen Programs In Rural areas

Posted 02-18-2022 11:20 AM
    Hello!

I am in the research phase of proposing a new teen program model at my museum, and am seeking any studies done or examples of successful teen programming, especially sustained engagement such as a teen council / advisory board, in rural or more isolated areas. Most of what I am finding are examples of brilliant and successful teen programs taking place in cities, which are helpful, but I know the needs and experience of teens here are different. 

If you know of any reports / studies / examples like this, please let me know, it would be very helpful!

Best,

Emily

------------------------------
    Emily Conner
    Cooperstown Graduate Program - SUNY at Oneonta
    BALTIMORE MD
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Teen Programs In Rural areas

Posted 02-18-2022 11:54 AM
    Hi Emily! At PAAM we have various art programs for kids, ranging in age from 2 - 22. The older ages (16 - 22) have the opportunity to enter into our mentor program, called Reaching Forward. Essentially, the programs are built to grow with the kids as they grow up, and when they get older, they have the chance to make money while making art and mentoring to younger kids. Here's the website to learn more about it, and let me know if you'd like me to put you in touch with the person who runs the programs. https://paam.org/education/youth-education/reaching-forward/

Lesley Marchessault
    Provincetown Art Association and Museum
    Provincetown MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Teen Programs In Rural areas

Posted 02-18-2022 01:39 PM
    Oh, this is a fantastic example, thanks for taking the time to write to me, Lesley! If you have the time to write an intro email, I would love to talk to the coordinator of the program about recruitment specifically, I can be reached at econner3@uwyo.edu

Thanks again and have a lovely weekend,

Emily

Emily Conner
    Master Teacher
    University of Wyoming Art Museum
    Laramie WY

• 4.  RE: Teen Programs In Rural areas

Posted 02-22-2022 05:30 PM
    Hi Emily,
    I worked on an exhibit project a few years ago in Minneapolis/St. Paul where our goal was to include teen and tween girls in the exhibit development process. The exhibit had both historical and scientific connections, which were strengthened through feedback from our core group of students. They participated in focus groups at a couple of points through design, development, and production and tested exhibit components. It didn't have the rural setting you're looking for, but if you're interested in our process, I'd be happy to tell you more.

Julie

Julie Govert
    Independent Exhibit Developer & Writer
    Vice Chair & Programming Chair, Independent Museum Professionals
    317-919-0046
    juliegovert@gmail.com