Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Comparing visitor motivations to natural history museums and theme parks

Posted 05-27-2019 01:55 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi everyone,

I'm a graduate student in Museum Studies preparing a thesis around comparing visitor motivations to natural history museums and theme parks. My 3 research questions are:

1. How do visitor motivations to attend natural history museums and theme parks compare?
    2. How does incorporating theme park elements and storytelling methods into natural history museum programming and exhibition content affect visitor motivations to attend natural history museums?
    3. How does incorporating theme park elements and storytelling methods into natural history museum programming and exhibition content affect visitor perceptions of natural history museums?

I wanted to reach out to the AAM community to request feedback and/or suggestions for relevant resources. I've also attached my work-in-progress so far in case anyone was curious. I really appreciate your input!

Thank you!
    -Stephen

------------------------------
    Stephen Drury
    Security Supervisor
    Florida Museum of Natural History - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

Attachment(s)

docx
    Drury_Thesis.docx   47 KB 1 version
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Comparing visitor motivations to natural history museums and theme parks

Posted 05-28-2019 06:31 AM
    I recommend getting in touch with Colleen Dilenschneider about this topic. She'll likely have some input and data that'll be helpful. She also has a great article and video, somewhat related, about incorporating entertainment elements into cultural exhibitions: https://www.colleendilen.com/2018/12/12/cultural-organizations-entertainment-not-dirty-word-data/

David Whitemyer AIA
    Director of Business Development
    Luci Creative
    Lincolnwood IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Comparing visitor motivations to natural history museums and theme parks

Posted 05-29-2019 06:50 AM

While I responded privately to Stephen, I thought I might share some ideas with any others of those interested in this topic. The field of hospitality and tourism has been investigating the key components of the hospitality experience for some time and the related scholarship in service marketing has also been working hard on this topic. My point is that anyone interested in the research on the idea of how to create memorable guest experiences in the museum visit has plenty of information and ideas available in these two related but different literatures that a Google Scholar search should reveal.  If anyone would like specific suggestions feel free to ask.

Robert C. Ford, PhD
    Professor of Management Emeritus
    Department of Management
    College of Business Administration
    4000 Central Florida Blvd.
    P.O. Box 161400
    University of Central Florida
    Orlando, Florida 32816-1400
    Phone: 407-601-4616; Fax: 407-823-3725

• 4.  RE: Comparing visitor motivations to natural history museums and theme parks

Posted 05-29-2019 04:30 PM
    Thank you for the resource David, much appreciated!

Stephen Drury
    Security Guard
    Florida Museum of Natural History - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 5.  RE: Comparing visitor motivations to natural history museums and theme parks

Posted 05-30-2019 11:24 AM
    Hello Stephen,

In addition, I suggest looking into the NSF-funded project Why Zoos and Aquariums Matter (wzam.org) which looks at visitor learning and motivations. The project is currently in its third phase (third grant), so data isn't in on WZAM3 yet, but I definitely recommend watching the two webinars that describe the (rather complex) research questions and prototcols, as it dives into the questions of what people expect to "get" out of their visits to a variety of STEM learning environments - including their own backyards.

Betsy Loring

Worcester MA

• 6.  RE: Comparing visitor motivations to natural history museums and theme parks

Posted 05-30-2019 05:40 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi Stephen,

I see that you have cited Falk in your thesis, have you looked at the paper "An Identity-Centered Approach to Understanding Museum Learning"? The file is attached. Also, take a look at the references for some additional potential sources.

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL