Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Active Shooter Awareness Guidelines: Evacuation, Crisis Communication & Training

Posted 10-05-2018 06:15 AM
    My organization has recently developed an emergency preparedness and evacuation plans for an active shooter scenario.  We would like to learn from other institutions with an open floor plans and a highly mobile staff/volunteer corp that have adopted similar emergency preparedness plans.  

Specifically, 

1)  How regularly do you practice/train (both tabletop exercises and physical drills) 
    2)  When does practice/training occur, taking into account public opening/closing
    3)  How are plans consistently communicated to all staff/volunteers and with what frequency?  
    4)  Has your plan been reviewed by local law enforcement agencies?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and guidance.

Cheryl McCormick, Ph.D.
    Executive Director
    Lindsay Wildlife Experience
    Walnut Creek, CA  

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Active Shooter Awareness Guidelines: Evacuation, Crisis Communication & Training

Posted 10-08-2018 12:31 PM
    Hello Cheryl, 

Our museum is governed by the local community college and have been conducting active shooter drills as outlined by the institution and falls within general campus practices that are required by compliance law. As scary as it sounds, these drills are just as important as tornado, fire, and other emergency practices. I applaud you for implementing such a SOP and training. It is the right thing to do, so congrats! My responses to your questions are below in purple/bold. You can reach out to me directly if you want more specifics. Keep up the amazing work! 

For our operations, this is how we keep up to date with training and practice. 

1)  How regularly do you practice/train (both tabletop exercises and physical drills) 
    We conduct this training annually as a whole museum team. While upon hiring, staff watch this national preparedness video titled, Shooter on Campus or Run Hid Fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV5EbEwOyIY&feature=youtu.be
    2)  When does practice/training occur, taking into account public opening/closing
    We choose to do this training after hours without public in the building, as it is a 2 hour workshop. Since we are apart of the college, who has their own Public Safety department, their officers conduct this training. 

3)  How are plans consistently communicated to all staff/volunteers and with what frequency?  
    Annually and upon hiring. 

4)  Has your plan been reviewed by local law enforcement agencies?
    Yes, the director of the Public Safety department is retired from our city's public safety department. All of the officers are deputized Sheriffs as well in our county. 

------------------------------
    Megan Osetek
    Interpretation Manager
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Active Shooter Awareness Guidelines: Evacuation, Crisis Communication & Training

Posted 10-09-2018 02:37 PM

Hello Cheryl,

It is a chilling fact of life that institutions in our world have to consider such things as an active shooter incident.  While a discussion of someone with dangerous intent should include more than just firearms, for the sake of this reply I will simply share my experience with you.

I am a sworn volunteer member and supporter of our city's Certified Emergency Response Team. (CERT)  We serve to augment community services (primarily our fire department) in times of emergency such as natural disasters or other crisis.  Since inception, over 1,600 volunteers have been trained by our fire department, in a city with a population of 65,000.

I recently refreshed my CPR and basic first aid training as a part of our community's CERT program.  Included in the training was discussion and review of available aid materials to treat major wounds as might be experienced during a shooting, bombing or attack by other means.  These materials were not a part of my initial training seven years ago, a sobering thought indeed.  Our class also discussed handling the psychological impact of such in event, including how our fire department is trained to deal with stress during and following a response.   

I imagine that your preparedness plans include a first aid course, or CERT-type course.  The benefit of having staff training in these matters is obvious.

Sincerely,

Jerry Grieser
    Redondo Beach, CA

Jerry Grieser
    Director, Museum Business Development
    Group Delphi
    Alameda CA