Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Still looking for a 19th-century peddler's pack, peddler's wagon, or peddler's cart

Posted 04-11-2022 08:56 AM
    I am searching for a 19th-century peddler's wagon, backpack, or cart for my book on exploiting American Jewish history through 50 American treasures. The objects suggested at the Jewish Museum Milwaukee and the Museum of the Southern Jewish Experience are both facsimiles (props). I am hoping that some state or local historical organization will have an authentic wagon, cart, or backpack in its possession. Any suggestions or leads would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Avi Decter, Managing Partner, History Now   215/621-6460
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Still looking for a 19th-century peddler's pack, peddler's wagon, or peddler's cart

Posted 04-12-2022 08:41 AM

Have you tried contacting the Weitzman Natl. Museum of American Jewish History in Philly? It's been a number of years since I visited so I don't have a specific display in mind while recommending them, but they had a strong collection, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had something close to what you're looking for. 

Good luck in your continued search!

------------------------------
    Emily Kirk
    Exhibit Designer
    The Henry Ford
    Dearborn MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Still looking for a 19th-century peddler's pack, peddler's wagon, or peddler's cart

Posted 04-12-2022 08:46 AM
    Thanks, Emily! I'm actually in Philly and don't think the Weitzman has one. The closest I've come to date is a peddler's cart (c. 1900-1920) at your museum! Best.

Avi

• 4.  RE: Still looking for a 19th-century peddler's pack, peddler's wagon, or peddler's cart

Posted 04-12-2022 05:09 PM
    Maybe this one is close to what you are looking for? Peddler's Cart | Gouverneur Museum

You might try the Haggin Museum in Stockton, CA. Unfortunately their collection is not searchable online, but they have a very wide-ranging collection of vehicles and tools from the time period you are looking for.

-Kristin Morris
    Cisco Archivist @ The Computer History Museum​

Kristin Morris
    Cisco Archivist
    Computer History Museum
    Mountain View CA

• 5.  RE: Still looking for a 19th-century peddler's pack, peddler's wagon, or peddler's cart

Posted 04-12-2022 05:17 PM
    Thanks very much, Kristin, for this lead! Most appreciated. I will follow up ASAP. Best.

Avi

• 6.  RE: Still looking for a 19th-century peddler's pack, peddler's wagon, or peddler's cart

Posted 04-13-2022 10:46 AM
    There was a junk cart (not a repro!) in a Minnesota exhibit a few years ago: https://www.ajwnews.com/scrap-stories/ and https://www.ajwnews.com/scrap-metal-exhibit-opens-april-3/. It looks like the cart may be from a private family collection, but the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest might know how to get in touch.

Lauren Cooper
    Interpretive Planner - Exhibitions
    Penn Museum - University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia PA

• 7.  RE: Still looking for a 19th-century peddler's pack, peddler's wagon, or peddler's cart

Posted 04-13-2022 10:58 AM
    Thanks again, Lauren! Your lead is most appreciated! Best.

Avi