Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Timely opportunity to join with 200 museums, aquariums, and zoos in a united push to protect our nation's lands, waters, and ocean

• 1.  Timely opportunity to join with 200 museums, aquariums, and zoos in a united push to protect our nation's lands, waters, and ocean

Posted 02-24-2022 09:34 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm looking forward to Museum Advocacy Day! It's great how this event is growing so much and huge kudos to AAM for all the great resources and tools and more! My name is Bill Mott, and I'm director of The Ocean Project | World Ocean Day. We've been working behind the scenes for 25 years working in partnership with museums, aquariums, and zoos to effectively engage the public, inform policymakers, and catalyze collaborative action to protect our ocean and climate.

I thought this might be of interest to some...Last year we collaborated with AAM, the Association of Science and Technology Centers (ASTC) and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) on a joint letter supporting the Administration's America the Beautiful Initiative, and specifically the incorporated commitment to conserving at least 30 percent of nature – lands, waters, and ocean – by 2030 ("30x30"). 

This collaboration on a major conservation issue was unprecedented and got a lot of attention as it emphasized the importance of three interconnected threats to society and our planet: disappearance of nature, climate change, and inequitable access to the outdoors. 

By the end of December 2021 the joint letter of support had been signed by over 180 museums, zoos, and aquariums was delivered to the Biden Administration and other national leaders in Congress. We hope your facility will join the nearly 200 others already signed on!

You can see the letter and learn more here. Deadline to sign is March 1.

As a bit of background, a year ago, the Departments of the Interior, Agriculture, and Commerce, in cooperation with the White House Council on Environmental Quality, had released a report, Conserving and Restoring America the Beautiful, which calls for a decade-long effort to advance locally-led and voluntary conservation and restoration efforts in public, private, and tribal lands and waters. It adopts the 30x30 goal, which polling indicates is supported by 85% of Americans. The goal of 30x30 is also strongly supported by scientists across the country and around the world.

This month there is another public comment opportunity regarding the America the Beautiful initiative and 30x30 and we are asking those organizations and facilities that have not yet signed on to join with your colleagues to show even stronger support for nature, addressing climate change, and equitable access to the outdoors. 

By adding your museum's voice, you will help achieve some crucial outcomes: 1) demonstrating strong support for conserving 30% of our lands, waters, and ocean by 2030 through a process centered on community engagement; 2) helping provide more equitable access to nature and the outdoors; and 3) reinforcing the position of AAM, ASTC and AZA members as critically important community leaders for science-based initiatives and a better future, both with the Administration, other national leaders, and within the larger movement, including local and national organizations and funders. 

It's an exciting opportunity for museums! We hope your facility will join the nearly 200 others already signed on! Please click here (https://bit.ly/conserve30x30) to sign and upload your logo.

Please sign on to the letter no later than March 1 as it will be delivered to the Biden Administration shortly thereafter. We will also send all signatories a copy of the final letter, displaying the logos of museums, zoos, and aquariums from diverse communities in all 50 states across the country.

By the way, all our resources and materials are free for museums to use and customize as you wish. We have related resources, including tools for raising public awareness, all developed in collaboration with a 30x30 Working Group, comprised of museum, aquarium and zoo member organizations. Feedback and ideas always most welcome so we can best help support you!

If any questions, please contact me (Bill Mott bmott@theoceanproject.org). Thank you!  

The Ocean Project
    World Ocean Day - Uniting Worldwide Action for Our Ocean on 8 June Every Year

------------------------------
    Bill Mott
    Director
    The Ocean Project
    Providence RI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Timely opportunity to join with 200 museums, aquariums, and zoos in a united push to protect our nation's lands, waters, and ocean

Posted 02-25-2022 09:46 AM
    Mr Mott,
    I am looking into having my institution sign on and think it would be helpful to senior staff to see a list of the 200 signees. Can you please send a link for that list? I'm not finding one.

Thank you,

Stuart
    Co-Chair, Sustainability Team

Stuart Heebner
    Collections Assistant
    Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology at Harvard University
    11 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138-2019

Stuart Heebner
    Collections Assistant
    Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology
    Cambridge MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Timely opportunity to join with 200 museums, aquariums, and zoos in a united push to protect our nation's lands, waters, and ocean

Posted 02-25-2022 10:04 AM
    Hi Stuart,

Great and thank your interest and involvement!

Here is a direct link to the letter with logos all signed on. Already several more museums have signed on!

https://theoceanproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/AtB_30x30_Letter_from_180_Zoos_Aquariums_Museums_FINAL.pdf

If you'd like to see all the names of the museums, zoos, and aquariums that signed on you can also scroll to the bottom of the blog post here: 
    https://theoceanproject.org/2021/11/180-zoos-aquariums-and-museums-from-all-50-states-sign-in-support-of-30x30-and-america-the-beautiful/

As a reminder, all our 30x30 related information, resources, toolkits, etc. for museums and more are located on this page: 
    https://theoceanproject.org/30x30/

Thanks again and it's very exciting to see the broad support from all types of museums, as well as zoos and aquariums. Please let me know if you have any questions and/or suggestions as we continue to develop this collaborative conservation work around 30x30 throughout the entire year, including some cool visitor engagement tools and resources for everyone to use.

Best,
    Bill

Bill Mott
    Director
    The Ocean Project
    Providence RI