Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for guidance on getting EpiPens for our museum in Ohio

Posted 03-27-2017 09:04 AM

Greetings, colleagues--

I am a Red Cross Instructor for the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.  Recently our state passed a bill allowing not only schools, but also institutions like museums, theme parks, and zoos to have EpiPens on site for emergency use. A doctor must write a prescription for the facility, and specific individuals must be named as the authorized users in an anaphylactic emergency.

If you are in a state with similar legislation, has your museum purchased EpiPens?  If so, how did you find a doctor to work with you for the prescription? The Red Cross doesn't address this situation in their training, as it is on a state-to-state basis.  --Lee

--Ms. Lee D. Gambol
    Distance Learning Coordinator-Museum Instructor
    The Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    1 Wade Oval Drive
    Cleveland, OH 44106
    T 216.231.4600 x 3202
    C 216.310.5529
    F 216.231.9960

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Looking for guidance on getting EpiPens for our museum in Ohio

Posted 03-28-2017 10:41 AM
    Hi Lee,

I would suggest getting in touch with your local county EMS Director. That office would be in the best position to assist you with establishing protocols to ensure you are in compliance with and meet the requirement of you jurisdiction. They would also be able to put you in touch with doctors who are certified as EMS Medical Directors (best fit for your needs most likely) and they may also be able to assist with staff training, including response, administration and incident documentation.

You will also want to have your local EMS provider on board with your program as you will need them to respond for after care any time an Epi-pen is used.

There may be challenges to setting this up and there may be more related regulation than it appears on the surface, be persistent.

If you run into issues or have specific questions, I'll be happy to help. kbennett@dma.org

------------------------------
    Kenneth Bennett
    Director of Security
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more