Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  career advice for older worker

Posted 01-06-2021 02:01 PM

Hi, my name is Cheryl and I am trying to decide on the next step in my career path. I have a bachelor degree in Earth Science but after working for many years in laboratory settings I started working at a small museum. Because they lacked funding I was able to help in a few different areas of the museum. I really loved working in the collection with artifacts and archives and even was part of the exhibit committee. I am now working at a different museum as a curatorial assistant in the collection  and would like to ask for advice about whether it is worth it to go back to school for an online masters degree in public history.  I am turning 50 this year so I am wondering if the degree would be necessary for me to get a full time position at a museum.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: career advice for older worker

Posted 01-07-2021 08:35 AM
    Hi Cheryl

I am glad you asked. I am also glad that you love working with collections and the fact you have to be a jack-of-all-trades working at a small place. However, I am not sure going back to school to get a degree in museum studies is a good idea.  I have worked in the museum field for over 30 years. Back when I interned in 1988 I was told that you have to be like a vulture and wait for people to die to get a job, the field was that competitive. When I attended the George Washington University Museum Studies program 1993-94,  I focused on collections management.  At that point, there were only a handful of solid and complete program museum studies programs like GWU with many universities having survey (that is Introduction to Museums) courses only. In 1995, the explosion started. Museum studies programs started dropping out of the sky. It has gotten to the point is hard not to turn around and run into another one. That would great if the jobs were there, but....

Let me tell you a story about an intern I had back about five years ago.  When she graduated from the GWU program, she told me that there roughly 40 students graduating and none of them had a job to go to. It took her over two years to find a job only to find herself in a federal government job where collections management was an unknown concept. It was a nightmare. She left the field, got another graduate degree, and is thriving. She is glad she chose a different career. 

I tell you that story to make an important point. A graduate degree will not guarantee a job. You may be just throwing good money after bad. A public history degree allows you to have more flexibility, that's true, but there is a distinct possibility you will not be working directly in a museum if you find work at all. 

I think the point I am trying to make is buyer beware. I loved what I was doing for thirty years. Yet, I have seen the concerns plaguing the field today are the same ones that plagued it thirty years ago. They are just on steroids now. The field as a whole has been caught flatfooted time and time again.  A colleague of mine at IMLS said at a Webwise conference back around 2004 that museums could stand to learn a lot from libraries because they saw the writing on the wall when the digital age began and took steps to remain relevant. They became community centers and constantly worked to provide services to their communities through simple acts such as providing internet access to those who don't have it.  I have worked in small museums for most of my career.  Every single one had a governing body that was stuck in 1985 and the leadership refused to wake up to the new paradigm. They have lecture series at night that only a handful of people attend and most of them will be in a rest home soon. They wonder why no one is coming. Duh!  It is not what is wanted or needed now. What about an afterschool tutoring program for disadvantaged kids? Now there's the ticket. The board members shutter at the thought. 

COVID-19 has put the disparities in the field, and there are many, out for all to see and it is not pretty.  Being over 50 (like me), you are at a disadvantage because many museums think that younger people will rescue them since they are digital natives. Agism is a dirty little word that no one is discussing in the midst of all the other -isms. There is also a lot of talk about collections don't matter anymore forgetting that the Federal government when creating IMLS in their definition of what a museum is focused everything around the collections. Basically, in the horse and cart scenario, the horse is the collections and the cart is everything else. However, during my entire career, it has been the exact opposite in medium to smaller organizations to the point that it seems that they have completely forgotten their origins and their heart and soul.  

My advice is to take a long hard look at what you want for yourself down the road.  Since I am a chronic perpetual student, going back to school is fine. But, if you are doing it because you think it will get you a job, much less a better salary, think again. The opportunity cost is not necessarily in your favor.  I have three college degrees, two graduate, one ivy league, and the most I ever made was a federal job at $46,000 back in 2005. 

I think what I am trying to say is go in with your eyes wide open like I did thirty years ago. This field has a lot of problems and it needs serious people to help solve them. I hope you are one of them if you decided to pursue a career. However, sadly, most of those being heard right now are ruled by ego and personal interests. I would go back to school if you love learning. I would not go if you think it will improve your job prospects. The jury is very much out on that. I hope that helps.  And good luck.

------------------------------
    [Karen] [Whitehair]
    Frederick MD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: career advice for older worker

Posted 01-07-2021 08:50 AM
    Hi Karen,

Thank you for your insights above; this is helpful food for thought as I, like Cheryl, consider my next steps. 

Mariya Curry

Mariya Curry

• 4.  RE: career advice for older worker

Posted 01-07-2021 08:38 AM
    Hi Cheryl,

Like you, at 51, I am an "older worker" considering a career shift into the museum field, so I am interested in responses to your query. In a previous career as a graphic designer, I worked for an experiential exhibit design firm for several years, but would now like to work in exhibits and collections management on the museum side.

I have been advised that 'breaking into' the museum field is fiercely competitive in normal times, but the pandemic, of course, has taken a financial toll on the budget of many museums, which will likely make opportunities even more scarce.

Living in a suburb of Washington, DC, an area with an abundance of museums, I have still found a dearth of opportunities for those without a Masters degree. That said, direct experience with collections-something you already have-also seems to be equally important. Interestingly, I have seen several entry-level positions and internships explicitly reserved for those either currently in Masters programs or for recent graduates, which exclude us "older" career changers. 

So, I've been looking into education options, as well. Masters programs are financially out of my reach right now, but the Corcoran School of Art and Design (now part of George Washington University) has a less expensive, online certification program in museum studies (https://corcoran.gwu.edu/museum-studies-online-certificate) which appears to be well regarded. However, even this program requires students to have ready access to a collection to complete many of the assignments. Since you are already a curatorial assistant, this could be an option for you, though.

Best of luck to you as you navigate the path(s) ahead!

Mariya Curry

Mariya Curry

• 5.  RE: career advice for older worker

Posted 01-07-2021 01:06 PM
    Hi Cheryl,

I too am a mature, returning student, pursing an online Master's in Museum Studies with concerns about career trajectories as we navigate these difficult times.  Like you, my early studies were in the Earth sciences (Marine Geology) but after years as an educational analyst, I completed my undergraduate studies in Art History/Museum Studies and am passionate about the use of OBL as a transdisciplinary catalyst.

I hope to work in an academic setting (university museum) and look forward to any advice the forum has to offer regardig career trajectories for mature learners pursuing a late life career in the field.

'All best to you in your studies!

Deena

P.S. Please feel free to email should you like to compare notes as we embark on this journey!

Deena Deutsch
    Graduate Student
    SANTA BARBARA CA

• 6.  RE: career advice for older worker

Posted 01-09-2021 09:25 AM
    When asked about how to get into the field, my answer is always the same - volunteer first. It worked for me and others I have supervised over the years. I, too, have a degree in earth science, but I went the route of a masters in teaching natural sciences. While student teaching I was hired as the science curator at our local museum because I had more knowledge of their extensive geology collections with a broad scope of understanding in other science fields. Eventually the curatorial position morphed into a science educator in the same museum as its mission changed.

That new job was critical to landing my life goal as non-formal geoscience educator. I've worked in a state park interpretive center for over 27 years because I had developed an expertise in programs, exhibits, collections, volunteer management, etc. For my then new position, each of those "hats" was important. When I retire in about five years, filling my position will be a real challenge because I was the first to be hired in my position (the second full-time employee hired) and I have essentially defined the role for those who follow. But my position will be filled. So, how does this apply to you? With bills to pay and food to put on the table, income is the issue. However, volunteering at a museum a few hours a week - regularly - makes you a known entity. When a part-time or full-time position opens, you will find yourself in the front of the line. ​
    I agree that getting a degree should not be too helpful in a job at this time. But if you want to learn for learning's sake - go for it. Volunteer at a museum and get to know the people and the work. Good museum volunteers are not common and by making yourself a cog in the museum's gears, when a position opens, you have a good shot at your new career goal.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of the Ohio State Park / Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 7.  RE: career advice for older worker

Posted 01-07-2021 01:37 PM

Hi, Cheryl -

My $0.02 worth says:  If you can get someone else to pay for your Master's degree (or if you have a pile of cash to do it yourself) then go for it.  More education is generally a good thing.  But if you would have to borrow a lot of money to pay for it, be wary.  I know waaaaay too many museum professionals who are 5 or 6 figures in student loan debt with a salary that will never allow them to pay it off, and no real career ladder to climb. 

Many of the already scarce positions that become available require or prefer at least a Master's degree, but some do not.  I was hired for the jobs I've had for the past decade with only a Bachelor's degree, but I wasn't hired for my credentials, I was hired for my skills, knowledge, and experience, and rather than being one of dozens of unknown applicants, I was personally invited to apply.  If you've had good opportunities to build a strong "portfolio" (by this I mean projects or accomplishments that you can put your name on), those may prove more valuable than an additional degree.  But in order to leverage that portfolio, you'll need people to know who you are, so making connections is crucial.  In my experience in Museum Land, what you know and who you know are about equally important. 

Hope this helps, and good luck! 

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions

Redmond, WA USA

• 8.  RE: career advice for older worker

Posted 01-11-2021 04:59 PM
    I agree wholeheartedly with most comments above.  With regard to 'investing' in higher education in museum studies, well-educated emerging professionals like Milldrum & others are abandoning the field to pay off their student debt.  Museums are indeed a low wage ghetto.  Before 'investing' yourself, I advise having a serious look at the 2019 book For Love or Money: Confronting the State of Museum Salaries edited by Salerno, Gold, & Durocher  The Table of Contents can be found at https://museumsetc.com/products/for-love-of-money-confronting-the-state-of-museum-salaries .  This resource should be in every museum studies programme library & it also should be required reading for every student BEFORE enrolling.

Paul C.Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford, Ontario