Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  complicated gift

Posted 03-19-2018 05:52 PM
    I am in search of examples of donation agreements. We normally have donations of one or two pieces to our permanent collection per year, from the artist or a collector. We may be receiving a very large gift over the course of a few years, and the donor has conditions he would like in the contract. We have not received this type of gift before. I have not found anything like this in the AAM resource library. I would be most grateful to anyone who is willing to share their agreements. Feel free to email me directly, at chenke@fullcoll.edu.

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Carol Henke
    Gallery Director
    Fullerton College Art Gallery
    Fullerton CA
    chenke@fullcoll.edu
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: complicated gift

Posted 03-20-2018 10:40 AM
    Hi Carol,

That sounds complicated indeed! In the museums I have worked in our collections policy and deeds of gift state that all gifts are unrestricted. In other words, we will not take gifts if the donor has stipulations (permanent display, annual showing, etc.). This is both to protect the museum from any trouble, but also the objects from a preservation standpoint. Without knowing what your donor is asking, I would suggest trying to explain that any gift to your museum would be treated with the same care and would operate by the same policies as the rest of your collection and that these standards have been set up in the best interest of the collections. Once you open the door to stipulations to one donor, it's hard to deny any others' requests in the future. That said, I have seen it happen and in most cases there is an appendix instead of trying to redo the entire form. The original form will have an added note, however, indicating that the appendix is included and the stipulations therein are to be honored. 

I hope this helps!

Zoe Quinn
    Collections Manager
    Armenian Museum of America
    Watertown MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: complicated gift

Posted 03-21-2018 08:46 AM
      |   view attached
    ​Attached it Soldiers & Sailors Gift agreement that we have every donor sign when the donate an artifact or object to the museum.

I hope this helps

Lisa Petitta
    Historian
    Solders & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum
    Pittsburgh Pa

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Gift Agreement.pdf   204 KB 1 version