Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Box Elder Bugs

Posted 02-17-2017 04:03 PM
    We have been getting an influx of Box Elder bugs in our museum lately. Had a few in the fall, then it slowed down during the beginning of this winter. But its been so warm lately that we have had a lot lately, particularly near the windows. I haven't noticed them in our collections storage but have seen a few in our exhibit space. Anybody familiar with a museum safe and cost effective remedy to keep them away?

------------------------------
    Jakob Etrheim
    Collections Assistant
    Kandiyohi County Historical Society
    Willmar MN
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Box Elder Bugs

Posted 02-20-2017 11:18 AM
    I've had this issue in the past as well, they're always a bit of a pain! They're unfortunately drawn to areas where the sun warms things up nicely. I have a ton on the side of my house. 

One of the biggest things to start with regarding box elders or any bugs or other pests is to look around and see if you can find any obvious areas where they are getting in. It could be that if you're seeing them around windows that there are problems with the seals on the windows or there's an issue with the molding around the window. They also may be getting in under the window and climbing up to bask in the sun. What I've done in the past, since box elders aren't as dangerous as silverfish and other pests, is watch where they're coming in, or just watch them in general and see where they're going. At my former museum there was a crack in the cement at the back door as well as failing seals on the doors that led to loads of box elders coming in and flying around my head. 

At my former museum also chose to do a bug repellent spray, which is generally applied in April or May, to help with those and other bugs coming into the building. 

In the end the biggest thing is figuring out where they're coming in and trying to eliminate that entry route. Hope that helps!

Regina Gorham
    Collections Manager
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Box Elder Bugs

Posted 02-20-2017 12:26 PM
    Treating the points of entry is definitely the best strategy, as eliminating the outdoor source of the bugs would be difficult. Debris and waste from the bugs themselves are the major direct threats to collections. And keep in mind that if you have openings big enough for intrusion by these insects, other species must be getting in also.

James Bryant
    Consultant, SOJOURN Science-Nature-Education
    Santa Fe NM

• 4.  RE: Box Elder Bugs

Posted 03-02-2017 04:05 PM
    We had a big problem with Box Elder Bugs. One thing that surprisingly helped was finding where they were coming in from outside and spraying the bugs directly with a mixture of dish soap and water. I'm sure you could find the soap to water ratio online. It was the best solution we found. Good Luck.

Alicia Fullerton
    Visitor Services Manager
    Lake County Discovery Museum
    Wauconda IL

• 5.  RE: Box Elder Bugs

Posted 03-03-2017 10:59 AM

Hi Alicia,  I have not tried this on box elder bugs yet but we always have issues with spiders and little black beetles. however, since we have gone using just water and white vinegar for cleaning we have cut the bugs issues by at least 98%. we found that by washing doorways down with the vinegar solution it keeps the bugs at bay.    

Cynthia Mallery
    Coordinator
    Smith-Zimmermann Museum
    605-256-5308