Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

• 1.  History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-09-2018 02:44 PM
    We have been working on new exhibits for our Gold Rush Museum and one is a bit unique.  We are installing a Twitter exhibit that tells the story of the Gold Rush through tweets from historical characters.  There is a slippery slope here and I know we've fallen down the hill with a few of them, but we think it can be a successful exhibit if we can walk a few of our "tweets" back.  To give you an example, here are three that link together:

thumbnail image

thumbnail image

thumbnail image

The James Marshall tweet is over the top, but overall is this offensive? Does it take too many liberties with real historic characters?  Are we pushing the envelope too far or is our hesitation an overreaction in itself?  We welcome any feedback.

------------------------------
    Ralph Gibson
    Museum Administrator
    Placer County Museum
    Auburn CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-10-2018 07:15 AM
    Ralph,
    Is there any context so that people would understand the lumberjerks hashtag?  Or the rest of it?  I guess I'm having trouble visualizing what you're doing.  Do the tweets take the place of object labels, or are they the focus of the exhibit?  The idea is good but I'm not sure how you're using them.  If they were the ​headers of a section of objects and labels which were perhaps all kept to Twitter length but not tweet form, then you could use them to get the big idea across for each section.  But in the age of "Hamilton" I don't think you're taking too many liberties if the tweets stay in character.

Michele Lyons
    Curator
    Stetten Museum of Medical Research NIH
    Bethesda MD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-10-2018 07:28 AM
    I have to admit that I cringed a bit reading the tweets.  There has to  be a better way of reaching this generation, rather than essentially making up what you think their tweets might have been.  We are developing more phone based technologies that allow folks of that persuasion to access our exhibits the same way they access other general information.  I am taking a wait and see attitude on the tweets.  But maybe I am just old and in the way.

David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

• 4.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 10:39 AM
    Thank you, Michele.  This exhibit just reinforces information visitors are exposed to before they get to the area where this display will be installed.  So yes, they will have the context for all of the tweets.

Ralph Gibson
    Museum Administrator
    Placer County Museum
    Auburn CA

• 5.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 08:05 PM
    I'd prefer not to put words in the mouths of someone else. 
    But I was toying with the idea of taking the comic below, modifying it for 'my' museum and into a sort of scavenger hunt where students would roam and later share an explanation for a title.
    See https://xkcd.com/1283/

Michael Kan
    Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-10-2018 08:59 AM
    As a social media ambassador for two museums, a public library, and two living history groups, I think this is brilliant. #laterlumberjerks I literally laughed out loud!
    One of the things that we, as museums, have to realize is that there is a difference between taking our mission seriously and taking ourselves too seriously.​ Pomposity serves no one. Kudos on a fun series of tweets that have surely made your museum more accessible to younger visitors!

Jay

Jay Templin
    Museum Interpretive Site Supervisor
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA
    John

• 7.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-10-2018 09:19 AM
    Agreeing with Jay here. I like them.

db

Daniel Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits and Education
    Logan Museum of Anthropology - Beloit College
    Beloit WI

• 8.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-19-2018 03:33 PM
    I think it is a great way to convey the relationships between the characters and connect people in the present to those in the past.  If you are concerned about people being put off, perhaps you could include some language nearby explaining the exhibit a bit.  You might even include some original historical documents to balance it out.

I agree that we have to remember to have fun with history while we are sharing it with others, especially at museums.  We need to show people how fun history can be.  People interested in being very serious about historical analysis will seek it out on their own, read documents, and scholarly monographs.

Stephanie Statz
    Museum Coordinator
    Tooele Valley Museum
    Tooele, UT

• 9.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-10-2018 09:43 AM
    I think this is brilliant. 

Question: how long can you sustain the conversation? Do you have twitter posts that cover the entire exhibit time? Do the posts lead folks to discover something in the physical exhibit?

Patricia Zeiler
    Executive Director
    Fort Lauderdale Historical Society
    Fort Lauderdale FL

• 10.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-10-2018 10:54 AM

I agree with Jay - these are funny! Using social media is also a great way of underscoring that interpretations of history are always built in part from the fragmented, personal perspectives of those who left us the primary sources. Historians of today are already using Tweets as the material for their analyses of events. I can't see anything potentially offensive in the James Marshall Tweet. But the question you ask about visitor sensitivities does raise my curiosity about what perspectives you're including - are there "Tweets" from people of color, women, indigenous people and others profoundly affected by the Gold Rush? 

Just another note about your audience research and targeting: It's important to note that Twitter users aren't a "generation" - people of all ages use Twitter, with the largest group - 40% - falling between the ages of 25 and 44 (Twitter: U.S. user age distribution 2016 | Statistic) ) . It's also a bit more of a niche platform - it isn't for everybody (it has about half the users of Instagram, for instance), and people don't use it in the same way, but in varying ways based on fandoms, professional communities, newsgathering habits, friend groups and interests. I hope you did dig into the research on social media to help with your planning, so you can get a good grasp on who this would make sense to and who it would leave cold. It may be that you'd want to sprinkle in labels that mimic other platforms. 

Statista remove preview
    Twitter: U.S. user age distribution 2016 | Statistic
    This statistic shows the age distribution of Twitter users in the United States as of December 2016. As of that month, 22.5 percent of U.S. Twitter users were between 25 and 34 years old. The second-largest user group were 35 to 44 year olds with a 19.5 percent share.
    View this on Statista >

You might like to contact the Buckman Tavern in Concord, MA. One of their recently developed exhibits retells the story of the Minutemen as if through social media, comparing the communications systems of the Revolutionary War to those of today: Exhibits

Lexington Historical Society remove preview
    Exhibits
    "The Old Tavern Debate: Which Town Fired First?" Boston Globe, April 28, 2014
    View this on Lexington Historical Society >

Michelle Moon
    Director of Interpretation and Program Evaluation
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 11.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 09:39 AM
    I think these are great! But I also echo the caution about the "Twitter Generation." I recently assigned my Museum Studies college students (mostly freshmen/sophomores) an exercise to create a marketing plan that included social media, specifically writing a Tweet. The results indicated that most of them had never paid much attention to Twitter. Post-assignment discussion revealed they are more likely to follow Instagram or Snapchat/Stories. Social media usage is a moving target when it comes to age. I agree that a mix of platforms is valuable.

Kathryn Blake
    Director
    Juniata College Museum of Art
    Huntingdon PA

• 12.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-10-2018 10:23 AM
    I think this is awesome, you always have to think about your audience and this  is their language!

Miriam Machado
    CURATOR OF EDUCATION
    Frost Art Museum
    Florida International University

Miami FL

• 13.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 09:09 AM
    Hi Ralph,

I find this concept innovative, as it humanizes the figures being discussed and provides your patrons with a bit of humor.  I want to second Michelle's point though that it's vital to include "Tweets" from people of color, women, indigenous people, etc.  

I have a few questions regarding the functionality of the exhibition.  Are these real twitter accounts that you've created?  If so, how interactive are they for the general public?  Can people tweet at the names and get a response?  How are the responses generated?  Are they in the style of the character?  

More information on this exhibition would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
    Chris

Christopher Brown
    Curator | Children's Literature Research Collection
    Free Library of Philadelphia
    Philadelphia PA
    www.freelibrary.org/clrc

• 14.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 10:03 AM
    I think that this is A+ work. I would absolutely make/attend/enjoy an exhibit that included fake tweets. Engagement is the second most important factor after accuracy in an exhibit, IMHO. I also believe that not taking yourself or your work too seriously is the way to live life. If you can make your visitors smile while sharing your story then you are doing them two services, not just one. I would also add:

Twitter users span multiple generations. This won't just reach Millennials; Gen X uses Twitter a lot, Gen Z is starting to, and many Boomers also use it.

You probably already thought of this but I would prominently display (and use on your own account) a #hashtag for the exhibit itself. I'd also be sure to have some cutouts of key players so that people can take selfies. You most likely have this in your content plan as well. It would be swell to compare the way information was disseminated back in the mid-1800s to the age of Twitter et al. ​

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Go all in!

@SethBang
    @NRGExhibits
    #twitterrocks

Cheers,
    Seth!​​​

Seth! Leary
    Principal
    NRG! Exhibits
    Kirkland WA

• 15.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 10:04 AM
    Hello Ralph,

This sounds like a very creative way of engaging folks who are social media-minded. As someone who is studying museum learning I would consider what you want visitors/learners to get out of the experience. On first glance, I am not sure what I am learning from the tweets. Additionally, I'm also not sure how altering the photo of James Marshall helps in understanding his role in the Gold Rush when the others are not. 

Is it possible to use primary sources to help build that conversation? From a learning perspective using the language of the time in a contemporary mode of communication can help to make deeper learning connections for the visitor/learner. 

I agree with other posters that it's important not to take ourselves too seriously, but at the same time to consider the learning objectives for visitors. 

Danielle Gabriel
    Doctoral Student, George Washington University
    Washington DC

• 16.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-12-2018 08:31 AM
    To follow up on the responses, I think that the social media texts will attract viewers, including middle and high school classes. But you should add material on how communication worked or failed in the Gold Rush era.  How did a letter or news item get from California's inland to the East coast? How long did it take? That comparison will impress the students who are used to getting messages in nanoseconds. 

Showing primary sources would be wonderful, but you would miss an educable opportunity if you do not quote contemporary letters.  

Barbara Stratyner

--
    Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, Ph. D.
    Suite 7C, 265 Riverside Drive
    Now blogging at outsidethemuseumblog on Wordpress.com

James Baldwin - You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. [Early Essays]
    Mila Jasey -- If you are not at the table, you are on the menu

• 17.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 10:14 AM
    I think these are truly funny and catchy, and I hope they lead visitors to connect with more available historical information and objects, including the original "fragmented, personal perspectives" and "primary sources" mentioned by another poster.  I think we as museums can be that magical (or humorous or profound) connection between our visitors and history, but I hope that connection can stretch both ways.  We can extend our imagination and creativity to reach visitors, and then ask our visitors to stretch their minds and imaginations to respond to the real words, ideas, and objects of another time.

Lisa Adam
    Registrar and Curator of Artifacts
    Museum of South Texas History
    Edinburg TX

• 18.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 11:49 AM
    Thank you everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

One thing that I didn't make clear in the original post was that the tweets cover people and information visitors will learn as they enter the museum and throughout exhibits inside the museum before they get to the Gold Rush Tweets.  The Twitter exhibit just reinforces that information in a new way. And it was my mistake when titling this post with 'Twitter Generation".  The actual exhibit title is simply #GoldRushTweets (which we will ask visitors to use to either comment on the exhibit or to create their own Gold Rush tweet).

The three tweets are just an example.  We do have tweets from women and people of color, but one we lack (but are working on) is a tweet from Native Americans.

Thank you for your ideas on how to go further with this concept and for providing information about other museums that have done similar exhibits.!

Ralph Gibson
    Museum Administrator
    Placer County Museum
    Auburn CA

• 19.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 11:44 AM
    I'm thinking about that "slippery slope" and maybe some unintended consequences, in this case, reinforcing a disturbing trend (to me) that so many Americans are not well-skilled in historical time. That is, we are so accustomed now to instant answers and information we aren't always remembering this a recent development. In the days of the gold rush, the telegraph was not a form of communication that everyone carried in their pockets, and it to took weeks if not months for letters to cross the country. Someone might be deciding to pack up and head west on the basis on very old news (not to mention that it might be fake news, since the motivation to push only one side of a story is not at all a new phenomenon). Is there some way to keep the part that is fun and funny and a good way to add other layers of information, without having users leave the exhibit with a really false impression of the state of communication at the time?

Deborah Smith
    Consultant Belfast Maine

• 20.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-11-2018 01:36 PM
    I think Deborah's concern is valid, and she makes some good points for how this exhibit could help educate visitors about critically examining media and communication using both historical and present contexts. I echo the "brilliant" sentiment! 

The Gold Rush exhibit's exclusive focus on Twitter will capture the attention of those familiar with it, or at least those who follow the basics of social media. Trying to include too many platforms or explanations of social media in general may be in the realm of asking Congress to regulate Facebook.

Freya Liggett
    Museum Manager
    Moses Lake Museum & Art Center
    Moses Lake WA

• 21.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-12-2018 09:20 AM
    Edited by Tania Marien 04-12-2018 09:20 AM
    To add to the comments made about who uses Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.

Last year I attended a conference where Colleen Dilenschneider was the keynote speaker. She spoke about social media. The following posts from her blog "Know Your Own Bone" might be of interest. It appears Instagram and Facebook are the platforms used most often.

The Power of Different Social Media Platforms for Organizations
    40 (More) Ways Nonprofit Zoos, Aquariums & Museums Are Engaging Audiences Through Social Media

Tania Marien
    Freelance Educator/Interpreter
    Riverside, CA
    www.taniamarien.com

• 22.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-12-2018 12:55 PM
    As a millennial (age 23) who works full-time in museums, I thought I might be of use in this conversation! Someone made a point that many of us no longer use certain platforms - that is true. However, I think in this specific case (which I do like), that doesn't matter. Most millennial/Gen X will still recognize and understand the platforms enough to understand what you're getting at.

I use Instagram & Snapchat more than any other platform, and have actually never used Twitter in my life. However, I still found this use of the platform immediately recognizable and funny! It reminded me of: http://coolmaterial.com/roundup/if-historical-events-had-facebook-statuses/

I'll also back up what someone said about a "moving target:" I worked as an educator in a museum that tried to have Gen X (9th graders) post images from the museum to Instagram and about half of them had NO clue how to use it.

Mariah Flanagan

• 23.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-13-2018 12:03 PM
    ICYMI...

The specific years vary for start/end dates for the younger groups depending on where you look but roughly:

Gen Z: Born 1996 and later (we've just entered Gen Alpha, though)
    Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 to 1995
    Generation X: Born 1965 to 1976
    Baby Boomers: Born 1946 to 1964

Millennials and Gen X comprise 67% of Twitter users, with Millennials being slightly more than half of that.

Interestingly (to me, anyway), the spread is very similar for Facebook. Facebook is used more by males until you get into retirement age. 

It's no surprise that Snapchat is dominated by teens and Millennials. Most Boomers probably have no idea what it is.

Instagram is dominated by older Gen Z and younger Millenialls (i.e. ages 13-14) and females are bit more active. I am in the large but comparatively smaller group of Gen X that use it and I will tell you that it is my favorite social media app. I find it relaxing, fun, and free of ire. It inspires me to look for interesting photo opportunities. I recommend checking it out. Make sure your institution is using it, too. I'm @SethBang btw. Follow me. ;)

I know I got off topic a bit. Don't hate me.

Happy Friday the 13th.

Seth!

(ICYMI, ICYMI = in case you missed it)​

Seth! Leary
    Principal
    NRG! Exhibits
    Kirkland WA

• 24.  RE: History Exhibit for the Twitter Generation

Posted 04-13-2018 09:06 AM
    We're doing something similar, in an effort to open up a big photographic archive of world travel pictures that were taken by three related women. Each woman focused her lens on different things (one shot pictures of animals, another was focused on architecture and fashion, and so on), so one of the first comments anyone made was, "These women definitely would have had Instagram accounts if they were alive today!" The concept was an instant no-brainer.
    Alas, a fake Insta account doesn't require any editing of sources like your historic tweets exhibit. It's simply a clever way to show a lot of photos safely and digitally, with the bonus feature of allowing museum visitors to "like" images. Whether or not a visitor is familiar with the platform is irrelevant because, to the "un-initiated," it's just a computer screen with photos on it.

I love the historic Tweets idea - the Gold Rush era, afterall, is a story of hype, and we should all be able to relate. I likewise appreciate all of the words of caution expressed by fellow respondents. I think you're providing a path to accessibility, which is awesome, but it does have to lead somewhere. I think as story tellers, you've struck on a fantastic mechanism by which to familiarize your visitors efficiently with the story's characters and attitudes and if you can gently nudge them into a deeper read, you will have great success!

Jason Jay Stevens
    Exhibit Designer/Principal
    Flutter & Wow Museum Projects
    Ann Arbor MI