Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Effective Internship Program Structures

Posted 12-06-2016 12:36 PM

Dear all,

I work at a non-profit arts organization in NYC and coordinate our internship program, amongst my many other responsibilities. We have a staff of 25 full-time and 2 part-time employees and have 5 - 6 interns with us for each internship cycle. Interns pursue self-selected focuses for four months at about 16 - 20 hours per week with a direct supervisor. You can learn more about our current program here!

We are thinking of ways to improve the timing of when interns join us and extend the total time interns are with us. Currently, the internship cycles are structured to follow typical college semesters. Unfortunately, this means interns are starting with us and leaving us at periods of high activity at the organization and our staff find it difficult to train new folks and have fully-trained interns leave us at our busiest times. 

What would work best for our organization is having two 6-month internship cycles: January - June and July - December. We have the sense it takes at least two months for interns to get comfortable and familiar with all our programs/processes at the organization. We are flexible, if interns need to shift more hours to another week to finish their final papers/prepare for mid-terms, etc. Our internship program is currently unpaid and provides a $125 travel stipend per month. We'd like to provide more and are continually looking at ways to improve the benefits we offer.

My concerns are with students, who will be unable to commit to a 6-month unpaid internship. However, I think their internship experience would be much more effective at this length and timing and both the intern and the organization would benefit.

My questions are:

1. How are your internship programs structured in length and timing? Would 6 months seem like too long to ask?
    2. If your organization does have a 6 month/+ internship program, have you seen interns and your org benefit/not from this length? If you've recently changed to extend the internship period to 6 months or longer, did you see a significant drop in competitive internship candidates?
    3. If your organization pays interns and are willing to share more, I'd be interested to know and include in my research.
    4. What are other benefits/stipends you offer to interns?

Thank you for your time in reading this and I look forward to hearing your responses!

All my best,
    Anne

------------------------------
    Anne Lai
    Finance & Operations Manager
    New York, NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Effective Internship Program Structures

Posted 12-06-2016 10:27 PM

Hello Anne,

As I'm a student in Illinois, I have just a couple of thoughts. First I think the longer internship is valuable and understand what you are saying with it taking two months to effectively train someone. I believe a committed student would stay, especially if they are from the local area.

As I'm sure you know, money is always an issue since school costs are so high, so paid internships are extremely helpful since they take the place of a paid job. The stipend definitely helps, even if it is just paying enough for transportation to and from, and it creates a sense of worth as well. Other benefits I know of include free parking, food, and alumni assistance programs that might help fund with a scholarship. These may be of little outward cost to your organization.

Another thought is in regards to housing. I don't know what it is like for students in New York, but housing can be an issue between semesters for us. Our housing and rentals around campus run semester by semester. If I rent a place, with others usually to keep costs down, it would be difficult to extend that rental agreement for just another month or so. We also tend to get kicked out for a couple weeks between semesters. Your local situation might be different, however.

How have your surveys from your interns turned out? What obstacles do they see to a six-month stint? They may have some very creative suggestions or benefit ideas that may not cost a lot.  

Kris Travis
    Student, Illinois State University

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Effective Internship Program Structures

Posted 12-07-2016 12:11 PM

Hello Anne et al –

My institution runs six-month internships. Ours are 40 hours per week. We have two interns each six-month cycle. This length was chosen because the Director of Programs and I had experience with six month internships as students. We have since found that many programs prefer semester long or summer internships. We are considering switching to that schedule. We just haven't had large candidate pools with the six month system. However, your being located in <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New York</st1:place></st1:state> would probably still net you good sets of candidates from which to choose. I agree that it takes at least a month to get interns comfortable with the procedures, interpretation, etc. at our sites.

We do pay our interns a $100 weekly stipend which may be on the lower end of the acceptable scale. We also offer housing with most utilities paid and that helps. There are regulations regarding intern pay that you should make sure you follow.

I agree with the suggestion that you poll your present interns to get their take on your present and prospective internship structures.

Best,

Chris

Chris Godbold

Chief Curator

<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placetype w:st="on">Fort</st1:placetype> <st1:placename w:st="on">Bend</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">County</st1:placetype> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Museum</st1:placetype></st1:place> Association

George Ranch Historical Park

cgodbold@fortbendmuseum.org

www.fortbendmuseum.org

www.georgeranch.org

• 4.  RE: Effective Internship Program Structures

Posted 12-08-2016 11:45 AM

Hi Anne, and everyone else!

As a young professional transitioning from internships to entry level positions, I can attest to the value of longer internships. I recently completed an unpaid, 6-month internship in the exhibitions department at the Field Museum. Having already graduated college, I had time for a second part-time job - a huge advantage when taking on an unpaid internship. My boss was very upfront about the fact there was no compensation, and very willing to work with my work schedule; based on your post, it sounds like you are already sensitive to these factors. 

The Field allows a maximum of 6 months for internships, though from my experience it seems most interns only work during the summer, and are college students already living in the Chicago area. I can't speak to the science-based internships, but working for 6 months in exhibitions allowed me to fully design a complete exhibit and be present for its opening/first month. This differed from the majority of the exhibition interns, who began work on an exhibition, but returned to school before the project was complete. 

Other than the obvious benefits of practical experience, resume building, and forming connections, interns-only behind-the-scenes tours of the Field were offered, and our ID badges provided free or discounted admission for yourself and 1-2 guests to almost all of the museums in Chicago. 

Hopefully this is helpful for your research!

Sarah Daley, Interpretive Designer
    sdaley@21cparks.org
    The Parklands of Floyds Fork
    Louisville, Kentucky
    www.theparklands.org