Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Public History Masters graduate- job help

Posted 05-10-2022 03:00 PM
    Hello all, I am new to this community and have been quite overwhelmed trying to break into the museum field. I acquired my masters degree in public history in May of 2020 from Washington State University. I focused on museum and archival studies- while I was there I also interned and worked for the university's manuscripts, archives, and special collections division which provided me with archival and collections experience. Unfortunately, this was bad timing to graduate due to the pandemic- many museums closed nationwide. I currenlty live in the Seattle area and have been hitting many road blocks while trying to find a job in the field. I either do not get a reply or am told I do not have the required expereince for even entry level positions. Museum work and history has always been my passion so I would appreciate any advice from this forum. I have received conflicting advice- I have heard I either need a museum studies certificate, another masters in museum studies, or that my public history masters does not really suffice with regards to breaking into this field which would be incredibly disheartening. So I am here to network and learn and take any info that this community might have for me. Thank you everyone! I can attach my resume if needed.

-Chris Halderman

------------------------------
    Christopher Halderman
    Historic Preservation Consultant
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Public History Masters graduate- job help

Posted 05-11-2022 08:35 AM

Chris,

Don't be disheartened.  Yes, the timing wasn't great for your graduation, but you can't control that.  To those that told you that an MA in Public History won't get you a museum job, I say bah humbug. But it takes determination, hard work, networking, and the ability to be flexible.  When I got my MA back in ancient times (1997), my advisor said that you need to be prepared to relocate to find work.  I've held positions in Illinois, Michigan, Tennessee, Illinois again, and now Florida.  Keep in mind too, that you're first few gigs may not pay well and may not even be full time. Out of graduate school I worked three part-time jobs in three very dispersed Chicago suburbs.  It wasn't until 1999 that I landed my first full-time gig.  And that was through a referral from one of my professors.  Twenty-five years later I oversee museums, archives, and historic preservation.  And I too, started out in the university archives. 

Unfortunately I do not have any opportunities for you.  But I encourage you to keep trying and disregard those folks who say you need more education.  What you need now is experience, and that may mean finding time while living life and paying bills to volunteer.  I now that probably sucks and sounds demeaning having a graduate degree, but it is also the reality of the field-at least from my perspective.  If you haven't already, join your state's museum association.  It is probably the most fiscally viable option for reasonable membership costs and ability to attend conferences to network.  And anyone that you know now in the field you should gently remind them every once in a whole that you are looking for work and if they see something to let you know.  If your school has an alumni association or better, if your program has one, that could be the best way to network as they will be familiar with what you have learned and what you are capable of.  They may not know you, but they'll know your education.  That's better than knowing nothing about you at all.

Chin up and good luck!

HK

Harry Klinkhamer

Historical Resources Manager

City of Venice

941-486-2490

hklinkhamer@venicefl.gov

Venice Museum & Archives                        City of Venice

http://www.venicemuseum.org/              http://venicegov.com

The value of history is, indeed, not scientific but moral:

by liberalizing the mind, by deepening the sympathies,

by fortifying the will, it enables us to control, not society,

but ourselves - a much more important thing; it prepares

us to live more humanely in the present and to meet rather

than to foretell the future.

-Carl Becker from Every Man His Own Historian

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Public History Masters graduate- job help

Posted 05-12-2022 01:38 PM
    Dear Chris & other colleagues:

Despite any advanced degrees, my advice is to "go small, or you may have to go & be 'stuck at home'."

In my view, small museums are the very best places to start a career so as to be given significant high-level responsibilities right off the bat.  You then gain the widest kinds of important experience in all aspects of the field at small institutions where you might be the only employee--to say nothing about it being easier work to get. 

You likely will need to move to a small community, but--depending on the local culture--there you can be a 'big fish in a small pond'.  Local leadership roles beyond your institution will be tossed into your lap.  In small institutions, you will be able to put all your training into practice & have wide latitude to make the changes you believe are the most important & necessary to increase the professionalisation of the operations flowing out of your education. 

This early experience & demonstrable rapid results will pay the biggest dividends when looking to sell your EMP experience to advance a career in future.  I would say, "Take a low-level job in a large institution only as a last resort."

Your search should prioritise municipally owned & operated institutions.  My first F-T permanent job--where a $1.7 million CAD capital project was in the offing--as well as 3 others were at unionised municipal & other levels of government shops => good pay & benefits as well as secure funding vs. precarity. 

Although, as we learned from one request for "help!" a couple or 3 years ago on this platform, it is not unknown for a local government to cut a museum.  Later in my career while I was working as ED for one non-government local historical society, a single failed grant application in the face of an ongoing capital project resulted in the need for me to recommend to the board that they lay me off for some months in order to retain the job of my only lower ranked co-worker over the winter.

All the above is to say, a "tax base"--even one in a small municipality--is a really firm foundation for a career in museum work.  You may even find you want to make an entire profession out of it!

I have never regretted starting small & have benefitted from it beyond measure.

Paul

P.S.: One caution for the above advice is the danger of burning yourself out as a 'lone director' of a small museum, but there are ways & means of avoiding the growing problem as recommended at https://solvetasksaturation.wordpress.com/ .

• 4.  RE: Public History Masters graduate- job help

Posted 05-11-2022 09:45 AM
    Hi Chris,

I'll echo what Harry Klinkhamer says -- lots of energetic searching and networking, willingness to relocate, and plugging into sources of job announcements. You're here on this forum, so you're doing that already.

Have you considered the federal government? I've been a curator and historian in the Department of the Air Force for 22 years, and our program is bigger than many people realize. Most government departments have historical/archival offices and many have museums or curatorial operations. You can see jobs as they come open on USAJobs.gov (search archivist, curator, historian, etc.). The hiring process is cumbersome, but federal wages and benefits are good once you're in. One of the keys is a fluff-free and error-free resume that highlights as succinctly as possible relevant experience, accomplishments, and education -- emphasis on relevant. Don't worry that you may not have 20 years experience behind you, there are entry level positions in which you can move up, and for which a public history MA will qualify you. 

A good weekly listing of museum jobs I can recommend is the University of Delaware's MuseWeekly (shameless plug for my own program as an alumnus). I've used it before to alert the community to opportunities in the Department of the Air Force History and Museums Program.

I'm sure others in this forum will also have great tips for you. Good luck! 

Regards,
    Doug Lantry

Doug Lantry
    Curator & Historian, Research Division
    National Museum of the U.S. Air Force
    Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
    douglas.lantry.1@us.af.mil

• 5.  RE: Public History Masters graduate- job help

Posted 05-11-2022 02:18 PM
    Hi Chris. I'm not sure I have much advice, but some other places to seek it that overlap with your interest in History and Archives specifically: American Historical Association, Society of American Archivists, and Northwest Archivists often have mentor opportunities for students and new professionals in these overlapping fields. You do have to pay for membership, but in my experience it is worth it especially as they also post about job, fellowship, and grant opportunities. Best of luck.

Mia Ferm
    Historic Media Collection, Project Manager
    Seattle Art Museum
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: Public History Masters graduate- job help

Posted 05-12-2022 12:22 PM
    Hi Chris,

I was in your boat a few years ago. I graduated in 2016 with my MA in Public History and wanted to go into museum collections. After graduation I had a short paid internship and then after that nothing. It was not until a year later that I got another paid internship. After that was when I got my first full time job. My advice is definitely continue to get experience in you field even if it is for a short amount of time. And I agree with Doug to sign up for Museweekly from the University of Delaware. They not only list jobs but internships as well. Just keep looking and do not give up. Sometimes the one that will fit will come out of no where. And also be willing to move. If you restrict yourself to one area you limit what you can apply for. Hope this helps and good luck!

Jacquelyn George, Collections Assistant
    Haggin Museum
    jgeorge@hagginmuseum.org
    Phone: (309) 940-6333

• 7.  RE: Public History Masters graduate- job help

Posted 05-12-2022 12:50 PM
    Hi Chris,

Seconding all the great advice you have received so far! . I too received my Master's in Public History back in ancient times (2001). It isn't necessary to have a MA in Museum Studies - you can learn everything you need to know in internships and job experience. "Museum" people and "history" people sometimes speak different languages but we can work together very successfully! ;) Two other important resources for you will be the National Council for Public History and the American Association for State and Local History. NCPH is particularly great with resources for new graduates and they have a very affordable new professional membership rate. AASLH can connect you with all kinds of job opportunities in state government and with local history organizations. Both organizations put on great conferences and have new professional networking opportunities.  I personally have found these organizations to be much more helpful in charting my public history career than AAM or my state museums association. Also, just sent you an invite on LinkedIn - use those networks for all they are worth!

Best to you in your journey,

Kristin Morris
    Cisco Archivist
    Computer History Museum
    Mountain View CA

• 8.  RE: Public History Masters graduate- job help

Posted 05-12-2022 05:02 PM
    Ditto the advice to join or follow as many professional networks as you can afford, and I will suggest one more direction to consider linking into: associations dedicated to the advancement of nonprofit organizations, of all genres. I started out with a BA in American Studies (very interdisciplinary with courses in the arts as well as social sciences), then an MA in material culture combined with a museum studies certificate. After 24 years working in museums I realized I wanted to know more about the broader context of how museums (whether independent nonprofits or units of state/local government) contribute to the larger realm of the social good. That led to a final degree in public policy and a focus in the last 12 years of my professional life on the role of organizations in building both social capital and economic benefit in their communities.

I now consult for museums, libraries, and other nonprofits whose missions have included history, preservation, organic farming, land trusts, and community fisheries (though I admit my favorites remain the museums and art centers). Everything I ever learned from the academic course work and the actual work experience in my early career has contributed in wonderful ways to helping this very diverse set of clients today understand how the public, private, and for-profit sectors are inextricably linked. I would say your MA in public history should be an excellent grounding for just about anything related to that broader context of museums as community-based entities, which seems to me the most pressing task of the museum world today. The next time an interviewer tells you that public history is not the direction that their organization believes has any relevance to its mission, turn the tables and politely ask, Why on earth not?

Deborah Smith
    Consultant Belfast Maine

• 9.  RE: Public History Masters graduate- job help

Posted 05-13-2022 10:22 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Chris, 

I don't have any opportunities for you but also just some advice.
    Someone else here said to look for the small museums - I totally agree. I graduated with my MA in Museum Studies in 2013 and will soon be hitting 10 years in the collections management field. I have worked in various museums across the country including Tennessee and Mississippi. Being from upstate NY I never thought I would live in any of the places I have, but I absolutely loved most of them. Now I have made my home in Dallas, TX!
    I'd look into applying for some jobs in the South or Midwest. The large cities have a saturation of museum workers and there will be a lot of competition for those places. Please join SEMC - Emerging Museum Professionals on Facebook. We post lots of jobs in there (SEMC is the Southeastern Museum Conference. The Southeastern Registrars Association (SERA) is a great Facebook page to follow as well, we post lots of registrar and collections management jobs! Also look at the Mountain Plains Museum Association as well. And look at museum related jobs too such as fine art shipping, insurance, and museum database companies! 
    Try to network as much as you can. I know museum conferences are costly but most offer scholarships to help you attend. You probably have a state museum association and these are usually inexpensive conferences. 
    I hope this was helpful! I attached a file with some job resources. 

Kali Mason
    Curator, Perot Family Collections
    Dallas TX

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Museum Job Resources.pdf   55 KB 1 version