Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Foam Core: attaching to wall

• 1.  Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-19-2017 08:34 AM
    Does anyone have any suggestions for attaching foam core to a wall? I'm working on an exhibit and the piece is going to be in a high foot traffic area. I've used command strips before but I'm not sure they will last. 

Any suggestions would be helpful,

Tania Batley
    Curator 
    Lefferts Historic House
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-20-2017 06:51 AM
    Is it a photo reproduction mounted on foam-cor?

Foam-cor is not that structurally stable and warps easily. Therefore, also depending on size of the foam-cor panel, you may want to consider screwing it directly onto gallery wall.

Otherwise consider using another substrate, such as Sintra or Gatorboard, which are more rigid ..... but more expensive.

Hope this is helpful.

Noel Valentin
    El Museo del Barrio --- New York
    212 660 7120
    nvalentin@elmuseo.org

------------------------------
    Noel Valentin
    Permanent Collections Manager
    El Museo del Barrio
    New York NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-23-2017 07:43 AM
    ​We use simple L angle pins, as many as we need, around the edge of the foam core, and brace the back if we think curvature will be a problem. They are available in packages of one hundred for under ten dollars, and best of all, they are reusable.  Try this link::
     Save On Discount Moore Push L-Pins & More Hanging Materials at Utrecht
    Utrechtart remove preview
    Save On Discount Moore Push L-Pins & More Hanging Materials at Utrecht
    Buy Moore Push L-Pins and other quality Hanging Materials at low discount prices from Utrecht, trusted since 1949 by artists from professionals to kids. This item # MP-18963-001.
    View this on Utrechtart >

Colin Windhorst PhD

• 4.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-23-2017 02:31 PM
    I have often used sticky-back velcro on foam-cor, cintra, gatorboard, et al.  I remove the liner from one side of the velcro and stick that to the board and allow it to cure.  Then, I remove the opposite side of the velcro, leaving the liner in place.  With the liner in place, I either drywall screw or staple-gun the velcro to the wall in the desired position and attach the panel to the velcro.  I find that the patching for the holes is easier than the large swaths of damage created by peeling the adhesive away.  It also ensures that the velcro stays on the wall.

Be well,
    Barbara

Barbara Applegate, Director
    Steinberg Museum of Art 
    LIU Post
    720 Northern Boulevard
    Brookville, New York  11548-1300
    t: 516.299.4073
    f: 516.299.2787

• 5.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-20-2017 08:26 AM

Tania,

We use a double sided tape by 3M.  It works well.  I checked the package and we get it from Uline S-10112 - 3M4910 3/4x36 VHB Tape.  It's very strong though.  Hope this helps.

Alan Byler
    AV / Lighting Technician
    State Museum of Pennsylvania
    Harrisburg PA
    (717) 783-9913

• 6.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-20-2017 08:45 AM

We use command strips and have never had a problem. If the panels are very large, you may want to use tiny screws in the corners.

Diane Ingram, Supervisor

Manatee  County Agricultural Museum, Inc.

For Angelina "Angel" Colonneso

Manatee County Clerk of Circuit Court & Comptroller

1015 6th St. West, P. O. Box 1284, Palmetto, FL  34220

(941) 721-2034    FAX: (941) 721-6888

"Pride in Service with a Vision to the Future"

image002.png@01D337A2.096D8B40

Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. This agency is a public entity and is subject to Chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes, concerning public records. E-mail communications are covered under such laws & therefore e-mail sent or received on this entity's computer system, including your e-mail address, may be disclosed to the public or media upon request.

• 7.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-20-2017 09:03 AM
    ​What are the walls made of ?  Drywall?  We have exhibit space that is drywall and a lot of tapes remove paint or surface paper.
    We have glued low pile ( solid color indoor outdoor)  carpet on display wall then use velco on corefoam panels. Things can be moved everywhere without marking walls/

Robert Wolz
    Director
    Harry Truman Little White House SHL
    Key West FL

• 8.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-20-2017 09:29 AM
    I have a design wall in my studio that is made up of foam core panels.  I simply used those thin picture hanging nails in the corners and center edges to hang it to the wall.  The holes where the nails go into the foam core seem to "stretch" so I use a tiny piece of tape or fabric selvage between the nail and the foam core to protect it.  It works well and has been up this way for years without a problem.

Leni Wiener
    Artist, independent curator

• 9.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-20-2017 02:02 PM
    We used mounting squares from I think Office Max. The box is yellow. They are small so you go through a lot but they don't damage the walls.

Christine Foley
    Master of Arts in Museum Studies - University of Oklahoma
    Norman OK

• 10.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-21-2017 06:31 PM
    Hi Tania:

Velcro is great for hanging foam core panels because it consists of two separate pieces – one affixed to the wall, and one to the panel. The best Velcro to use is the kind that comes in large rolls. It may set you back about $25, but is well worth it to keep your signage in place. To avoid destroying your wall, put a layer of blue painter's tape between the velcro and the wall. It typically sticks securely and comes off with minimal residue.

-Johanna

Johanna Goldfeld Design, LLC
    Graphic and Exhibition Design
    Tel: 718-789-1238
    Visit my website: www.jgoldfeld-design.com
    Read my blog: www.jgoldfeld-design.com/blog

• 11.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-23-2017 09:38 AM
    Size of panel and duration of display matter. Anything longer term and the suggestion to use a different substrate should be taken. Even if not messed with, foam core seems to not age well. 

I use exhibition L-pins into drywall/plywood along the bottom edge. Sink them in until the L is very near the wall. Slide the panel down into the L pin such that it goes into the foam. They are hidden from view but carry the weight. I use wall tack to hold the panel, but we have  2 month max exhibits. For longer, others have made good suggestions. I've used velcro leaving the release sheet on the piece going on the wall and then stapled it to avoid the adhesive issues.

Roger Rowley
    Gallery Director
    Prichard Art Gallery - University of Idaho
    Moscow ID

• 12.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-23-2017 11:57 AM
    Hi,
    I just wanted to mention RS Hughes. This is an adhesive company with branches all across the USA. If you call and tell them the material and the surface it will be attached to, they can tell you the tape to use and will often send you free samples to test before you order.

~Dawn

Dawn Farkas Prasad
    Exhibit Designer, graphics
    Natural History Museum of Utah - University of Utah
    Salt Lake City UT

• 13.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 10-24-2017 07:12 PM
    Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions. I will investigate them all. It's been very helpful.

Tania Batley
    Curator
    Lefferts Historic House
    Brooklyn, NY

• 14.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 11-03-2017 11:05 AM
    ​We typically use a medium-gage wire brad (your typical picture hanging nail) in each corner. Before I make a pilot hole in the fome core with an awl or drill, I will put a bit of tape on the back of the board where the holes will go. This keeps the hole from tearing and sagging. And if you are worried about stray hammering while putting the board on the wall, you can take a piece of mat board with a notch cut out and place it as a buffer between the nail and the fome core.

Erin Beveridge
    Exhibition Preparator/Courier
    Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
    Andy Warhol Museum
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 15.  RE: Foam Core: attaching to wall

Posted 11-06-2017 03:53 PM
    Hi Tania,
    Everyone had some great suggestions!  Art Display Essentials sells label holders that can hold a material up to 1/16" thick.  The label holder comes with acrylic in it so paper can be inserted beneath it, but many museums and galleries substitute the acrylic for foam core or other materials.  Since the label holder has an aluminum frame on the back, it provides a sturdy solution for keeping the information in place.  I would be happy to get you some more information if you would like.
    Thanks and best of luck!

Eloise Wierzbicki
    Customer Service and Sales Representative
    Art Display Essentials
    eloisew@artdisplay.com
    www.artdisplay.com
    www.10-31.com
    www.easelsbyamron.com
    2 West Crisman Road
    Columbia, NJ 07832
    USA