Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Vitrines?

• 1.  Vitrines?

Posted 03-06-2018 12:45 PM

Our little university photography gallery is planning a show for next fall that, for the first time, will need some display cases with plexi cubes on top to display a number of artifacts. It's not completely certain yet how many, or what sizes, but we have no pedestals or cases at all right now. Are these available somewhere for rental? Is purchasing them the best way to go?

Any advice or experience is appreciated.

Bill

Bill Barrett

Professor, Electronic & Photographic Media

Coordinator, BA Photography Program

Director, May Gallery

School of Communications

Fellow, Institute for Human Rights and Humanitarian Studies

Webster University

St. Louis

314-968-7185

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-07-2018 08:37 AM
    When Millikin University established Birks Museum back in the 1980s, our vitrine bases were constructed in house by the university maintenance staff. The Plexiglass tops were made in a local glass shop. They served us well and, to my knowledge, are still in use. This might be an option worth exploring. 

------------------------------
    Mary Turner, Retired
    Executive Director of the Illinois Association of Museums

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-07-2018 11:34 AM
    Thank you for that idea, Mary. I will talk to our facilities folks (they are always helpful), but I know we no longer have an in-house carpentry shop. Still, they might be able to outsource for a reasonable cost.

Bill

Bill Barrett
    Director
    May Gallery, Webster University
    Saint Louis MO

• 4.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-07-2018 01:04 PM
    ​Mr. Barrett,

You can purchase simple cases from Gaylord but they are still quite expensive. Museum Exhibit Cases & Display Supplies | Gaylord Archival

If you can find someone to make you case bases for you then I can recommend a plexi vitrine maker    I highly recommend you contact  J.C. Finley in Gerald, MO  at 573-764-3990 or www.jcfinley.com   you'll find their prices are much better than anything you would have to have shipped from out of state. 

Katherine Owens
    Curator of Collections
    Missouri State Museum
    Jefferson City, MO

• 5.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-08-2018 11:54 AM

Thanks. A local person is always a good choice. I am keeping a list of these possibilities, and as soon as I know exactly what sizes (and how many) cases I need, will get on it.\

Bill

• 6.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-07-2018 04:38 PM
    You could try contacting larger institutions in your area to see if they have any old vitrines they can give away.  Due to storage space issues if we can no longer use them my museum offers up vitrines every so often to other institutions in the area.

Karen French
    The Walters Art Museum
    Baltimore MD

• 7.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-08-2018 11:27 AM
    Bill,

We fabricate these acrylic, vitrine displays... depending on your needs and what you would like displayed in them..
    We can assist if you would like to purchase these.

See attached an example of one idea.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need additional information and or pricing.

Thank you,
    Jeanne 

JEANNE TASSONE
    Sr. Account Executive
    Project Management
    Duggal Visual Solutions, Inc.
    Desk: 646-638-7290
    Cell:   917-837-7088
    29 West 23rd  St. NY NY 10010
    United States

Duggal Magazine 2017 Digital Editions:

AIA CES - American Institute of Architects Continuing Education Services Provider 

Where Vision Becomes Visuals, DUGGAL INNOVATION LAB

F.T.P.:      www.filesdirect.com/duggal
    web:        www.Duggal.com

Please consider the environment before printing this email
    This message and the accompanying documents or attachments may 
    contain information which is privileged and/or confidential. If you are
    not the intended recipient, you may not review, discuss, disclose, copy,
    or distribute the contents of this message. If you have received this
    communication in error, please immediately contact me by telephone
    (646-638-7290) and kindly delete all evidence of this correspondence.
    Thank you.

• 8.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-17-2018 06:19 PM
    Contact your sister institutions to see if they have any you could borrow. As others have said, the acrylic vitrines are expensive, so hand my downs and borrowed vitrines and pedestals are a good way to start. You will also need a set of suction cups to maneuver the vitrines on and off. https://www.grainger.com/category/manual-lifting-and-mounting-suction-cups/lifting-magnets-and-suction-cup-lifters/material-handling/ecatalog/N-jev

-- Jane 
    M-410-371-2410
    W-410-727-4808 ext 146
    Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-19-2018 01:11 PM
    Thank you, Jane.

Can you say more about suction cups? Is that to lift the plexi covers on and off?

Bill

Bill Barrett
    Director
    May Gallery, Webster University
    Saint Louis MO

• 10.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-08-2018 08:37 AM
    Good morning, Bill.
    I second Mary's idea. I manage Special Collections for an independent boarding school, and our carpenter's shop has made us all sorts of exhibit furniture, platforms, vitrine bases, and more specialized stuff. It's a fraction of the cost. Then our local sign maker who also works in plexi makes the bonnets. Something to explore.
    Best,
    Joan Baldwin

Joan Baldwin
    Curator-Special Collections - The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT

• 11.  RE: Vitrines?

Posted 03-13-2018 10:05 AM
    Good thread on vitrines. I would like to offer up some advice based off of 18 years doing without quality vitrines, and mistakes I have made.
    1. Buy exactly what you want the first time. 
    2. Make sure they are quality made. This means they will cost a lot. 
    3. Purchase from a craftsman or craftswoman, or manufacturer who knows how to make vitrines.
    4. Make sure the finish is easily cleaned and can be refinished. Veneer is a mistake. 
    5. Make sure they are made with off proper specs for long term storage of art or artifact. 
    6. Make sure you have room to store them when not in use. 
    7. Consider signage
    8. Consider the weight distribution ration from top to bottom, and how easily the design might tip.
    9. Consider security measures 

I am sure I have more...
    Good luck!

Josh Olson
    Cultural Asset Manager
    Boise ID