Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  how to unlock, transfer recordings from briefcase recording/ plastic tapes

Posted 03-26-2019 08:34 PM
    We have a briefcase recording device from the 1950's with plastic reel to reel recordings that contain significant artist recordings.  We do not know how to "unlock the code" of how to play the recordings and then how to transfer them to current storage preferences.  Does anyone know of an expert, company, that can help us with this?

------------------------------
    Mary Byrd
    Chairman
    Fine Art Museum of Sedona
    Sedona AZ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: how to unlock, transfer recordings from briefcase recording/ plastic tapes

Posted 03-27-2019 10:06 AM
    Mary, 

Being an old school electronics guy, I'd be curious to know the make and model of the recorder used, I'd like to research it. 

Your challenges are many.  If the machine uses proprietary tape speeds or track arrangements, it might be difficult to find a machine that can play the tapes.

Magnetic tape is made by putting a layer of magnetic oxide on a plastic tape base.  Early tapes used an acetate base (probably what you have) and later they went to a polyester base.  As acetate ages, it loses it's tensile strength, and tends to "cup" lengthwise and won't lay flat against the tape heads when playing.  

Another problem with very old tape is that sometimes the magnetic oxide coating will fall off the plastic base in large chunks.

I found a company called The LAST Factory (https://thelastfactory.com/) that makes products for the preservation of vintage media.  They may be able to direct you to a professional that can attempt to recover the recordings.

If all this is too cost prohibitive, I'd be glad to trying running one through my machine, but expectations would have to be low (read as "no warranty expressed or implied", if you get my drift).

Best of luck!

Bill Browne
    Westlake LA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: how to unlock, transfer recordings from briefcase recording/ plastic tapes

Posted 03-27-2019 11:51 AM
    Thank you so much for your quick reply.  We are trying to get the details of make/model of the recording device.
    Mary

• 4.  RE: how to unlock, transfer recordings from briefcase recording/ plastic tapes

Posted 03-27-2019 02:20 PM

Hi Mary,

Everything Bill said, and then some. Problems with old audio tape (and videotape for that matter) are many and legend. People have been known to run them through what amount to freeze-baths or to "bake" them in special ovens (depending on the tape and its condition) to try and stabilize the coatings just before attempting to play them for transfer. It's also not that uncommon, if you do come up with a way to play/transfer them, that the original ends up getting destroyed in the process. Think "Mission Impossible:" this tape will self-destruct...

I have forwarded on your question to two people in New York audio who, in the past at least, had large institutional archives of analog tape to address (a radio station and an audio-book publisher). I've already heard from one to say she might "know some people." I'll let you know if/when either come back with specific suggestions.

In the meantime, in addition to getting the make/model of the recorder (very useful/needed info), you should try and determine if it is still functional. If there is anything unique and proprietary about its tracking or speed, etc., as Bill suggests might be the case, playing them back on the machine on which they were recorded might be your best bet. Frankly, even mundane idiosyncrasies like mechanical misalignment can sometimes be handled best by having the original recording device. For testing purposes, 1/4" open-reel audiotape, which I'm guessing it used (?), is still not that hard to get. If not working, think about whether or not it is fair-game for a possible repair effort, or if it, itself, is a valuable artifact in your collection.

Or if it is not a valuable artifact, consider maybe offering to throw it in as partial payment: transfer the tapes, keep the device (and presumably some dough). To someone who does this kind of thing, your briefcase may be of interest for their own technology collection. Maybe not much, who knows? But every little bit helps.

To start the list off, you might reach out to CTL Electronics in New York.
    https://www.ctlny.com/

Their specialty is old video, including old videotape, but they may handle audio as well. Certainly their forte is "antique" electronic technology, and they have worked with museums.

Finally, you may want to give some thought to just how "significant" the recordings are, so that IF it turns out that there is no guaranteed safe way to transfer them, if perhaps your focus should turn to how to best preserve the originals in hopes of better, future technologies. I guarantee you that someday, someone is going to be able to play back the infamous 18-1/2 minute gap on the Nixon tapes. Until then, it was last reported as sitting in a special vault at the National Archives.

Assuming you don't have National Archive-level vaults available, you might think about contacting Electronic Arts Intermix. Their collection is full of what originated as tape-based media (largely video, but maybe some audio, and in any case the issues are similar).
    https://www.eai.org/webpages/71

They may have some useful info on transferring old, tape-based media, and on preserving it. They also have a "resources" page that, while dated, may also hold some valuable nuggets:
    https://www.eai.org/resourceguide/resources.html

Hopefully more soon.

Best,

Brian J. Mattlin
    New York

Brian Mattlin
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: how to unlock, transfer recordings from briefcase recording/ plastic tapes

Posted 03-28-2019 11:15 AM
    You might want to contact the Association for Recorded Sound Collections http://www.arsc-audio.org/index.php.  They will undoubtedly have the proper contacts.

Jim Hunter
    Curator KHMA

Jim Hunter
    Curator
    Klipsch Heritage Museum Association
    Hope AR

• 6.  RE: how to unlock, transfer recordings from briefcase recording/ plastic tapes

Posted 03-28-2019 12:02 PM
    Thank you so much for the information. Mary Byrd

• 7.  RE: how to unlock, transfer recordings from briefcase recording/ plastic tapes

Posted 03-29-2019 09:12 AM
    Mary,

You might also try George Blood, LLC, https://www.georgeblood.com/servicesaudio. 

Best,
    Tara Laver

Tara Z. Laver
    Archivist
    The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
    4525 Oak Street
    Kansas City, MO 64111
    Office: 816.751.1354
    tlaver@nelson-atkins.org
    www.nelson-atkins.org

Where the power of art engages the spirit of community

Tara Laver MLS
    Archivist
    Kansas City