Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Security question: walkie talkie preferences

Posted 03-24-2022 12:30 PM
    Hello all,

The art center I work at is in the process of purchasing radios for the first time and I was curious if there is a preference in radios or an industry standard. We we are a smaller establishment but we sit on over 400 acres with 3 different buildings spread out so they would need to have to have a decent range but also able to work inside brick buildings and in some cases possibly underground. Thank you for any assistance you all can provide!

------------------------------
    Jay Bashant
    Security and Facilities Manager
    Powers Art Center
    Carbondale CO
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Security question: walkie talkie preferences

Posted 03-24-2022 12:59 PM
    Edited by Mark Walhimer 03-24-2022 01:15 PM
    Hi Jay,
    I have always used and recommended Motorola, more for the support than for the radios. Motorola repairs and parts are expensive, but an existing support network is available. 

I might suggest thinking of the exhibitions department, education department, floor staff, and security. That is the real benefit of walkie-talkies is cross-department communication. Another advantage to Motorola is that most vendors use Motorola; it is helpful to share channels with vendors for special events.

Try to limit the number of channels. It is tempting to have one channel for each person or every department, but in the end, no one listens if there are too many channels; when you limit the number of channels, people tend to use the radio and listen to the communication.  When people start to use the radios, communication is a little awkward, practice and set up communication standards, lost child, emergency location, vendor question, office personnel, etc..  

Channel 1 - Security
    Channel 2 - Front Desk
    Channel 3 - Ticketing
    Channel 4 - Floor Staff
    Channel 5 - Exhibitions
    Channel 6 - Offices

Make sure to order extra belt clips they break, and helpful to have extras on hand. Also, order at least one backup radio, which is beneficial to give to vendors on-site and if the radio gets lost or broken. Work with HR to create a long-term signout sheet, so people know that the radios are expensive and they are responsible for the radio. Also, create a numbering system for the radios of their location and department and a method for nightly charging. A Brother label maker is helpful to label the radios. That is one of the reasons that Motorola is beneficial for the charging stations, i.e., a charging station in the security department, a charging station in exhibitions, a charging station on the desk of the office support staff.     

I will be interested in others' responses.

- Mark

Mark Walhimer
    Museum Planning, LLC
    Museum Master Planning and Design

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more