Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  NEA Advocacy?

Posted 03-20-2017 04:25 PM
    My organization has been thinking about facilitating an event around the save the NEA campaign. We would invite the public to come in and decorate postcards that would be pre-addressed to our representative. The only printing on the card would be the mailing address; participants would be encouraged to write their own message and decorate the cards how they choose, but it would be clear that this event is in support of NEA funding. My intention is that this would be an advocacy event. 

Are other organizations organizing similar events? Politics being as they are right now, could this be considered lobbying or political activity? 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

Gretchen 

------------------------------
    Gretchen Boyum
    Director of Education and Programming
    Salina Art Center
    Salina KS
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: NEA Advocacy?

Posted 03-21-2017 07:27 AM
    Hi Gretchen

The Art Students League of Denver just held a postcard event in support of the NEA. I was not able to attend but it was very successful. I suggest you contact them directly to find out details.

Rachel Basye is the Executive Director: 303.778.6990 | ASLD.org

Best,

Tara Hornung
    Conservator
    Longmont CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: NEA Advocacy?

Posted 03-21-2017 01:17 PM
    The great Kansas editor, William Allen White once said, "When anything is going to happen in this country, it happens first in Kansas."
    When I left Kansas in 2010, Sam Brownback had just destroyed the Kansas Arts Council, much to the chagrin of folks on both sides of the aisle! As WAW predicted, this mentality has made its way to Washington D.C. Your programming may be advocacy, but it is NOT political. There are both Republicans and Democrats who support funding for the Arts, Humanities, Museums and Libraries. With over a decade of experience in this field, I have seen elected officials and citizens across the political spectrum support their local art center, knowing that it is one of the few places they can take their kids for free programming, work to save historic buildings, knowing that it brings an economic development to their community, and fight for the NEA and NEH because it provides jobs for our citizens and expands the education of our citizenry.

It has been awhile since I was in Kansas, but it is my understanding that decimating the Kansas Arts Council hurt Kansans more than those in power thought. Those Republicans and Democrats that denounced this unfortunate act did what is best for their community. It sounds like now, the Salina Arts Center is also doing what is best for the people of Salina. Keep up the good work!

Good luck with your program!
    Best,
    Daniel

Daniel Carey-Whalen
    University of Texas at El Paso
    El Paso TX