Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Call for Presenters: MPMA

Posted 11-14-2017 01:22 PM

Hi all,

My colleague, Kreshaun McKinney, and I are putting together a proposal for the regional Mountain-Plains Museum Association, due January 13th, for their September 2018 conference. The theme is Stronger Together: New Museum Solutions (call for proposals can be found here). 

We will be discussing a film-and-dialogue program called Reel to REAL that demonstrated a collaboration with folks in our film community. It was our first attempt at a conversational program that was not tied directly to an exhibition or rotation in our permanent collection. It instead strove to create dialogue around social issues using film as a springboard. While it was successful in terms of meaningful conversation (as our in-house evaluation found) and received a Missouri Humanities Council grant, its ROI (return on investment) was determined to be too costly and we will be stopping the program at the end of our fiscal year. It had evolved from a couple exhibition program iterations and we're evaluating how to continue the dialogue-based programming we've learned our visitors appreciate. 

Kreshaun and I are looking for people who would also like to discuss something they've worked on that "demonstrate strong collaborations and/or new solutions" and to share "successes and constructive failures" with MPMA attendees. Please let me know if you're interested! 

Thanks,
    Cat 

------------------------------
    Catherina Mueller
    Educator, Adult Programs
    The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
    Kansas City MO
    cmueller@nelson-atkins.org
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more