Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Artist Level Memberships

Posted 03-09-2017 11:59 AM
    Hi everyone,

Are there any museums or other member-institutions out there that offer discounted memberships for artists? We are beginning to look into creating one and I'd love to be able to pick people's brains about it. If anyone on here has had any experience being part of an art museum - either as staff or as a member - that has had a similar offering, I would love to talk. I have a lot of questions: what were the requirements to join at this level? was there a verification process? did it abide by the honor system? what was the impetus for offering this level? was it successful? etc.

Thanks in advance - this forum is a great resource and I've learned so much from it over the years!

Best,
    Patrick

------------------------------
    Patrick McIntyre
    Membership and Visitor Services Manager
    Noguchi Museum
    Long Island City NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Artist Level Memberships

Posted 03-10-2017 09:19 AM
    I believe the Museum of Contemporary Art in Denver has a membership level for artists. 

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Artist Level Memberships

Posted 03-10-2017 09:44 AM
    Hi Patrick,

You may want to reach out to the Philadelphia Art Museum.

The Philadelphia Museum of Art was in the news last year for their Artist Level memberships. Here's a link to one of the news stories about it: http://www.phillyvoice.com/pma-introduces-cheaper-memberships-working-artists/

Hope this is helpful,
    Rusty

Rusty Baker
    Executive Director
    PA Museums
    Harrisburg PA

• 4.  RE: Artist Level Memberships

Posted 03-10-2017 10:52 AM
    Thank you Rusty and Amber - this is very helpful.

Patrick McIntyre
    Membership and Visitor Services Manager
    Noguchi Museum
    Long Island City NY

• 5.  RE: Artist Level Memberships

Posted 03-13-2017 10:43 AM
    Hi Patrick,

We have two artist level memberships at the RISD Museum in Providence. We have a discounted individual artist membership, and we have an RI Artist membership which is free.

Both memberships use the honor system to determine whether or not the potential member is an artist, but for the free Rhode Island artist memberships, a Rhode Island mailing address is required. A vast majority of all artist members are Free RI Artist members. This program has been a major success, and has allowed us to build a substantial audience for our artist development programs.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have about the program! 

Matt Berry
    Marketing and PR
    RISD Museum
    Providence RI

• 6.  RE: Artist Level Memberships

Posted 03-22-2017 06:27 PM
    We have an artist membership that basically covers mailing expenses and entry into member shows. It is the honor system, who are we to say?  It is also a student rate. It has served as a good entry to the org and they are prompted to upgrade when the year is over! 
    Our's begins at $15.