Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seeking reviews of "Things Great and Small"

Posted 03-26-2019 09:07 AM
    I would like to ask for reviews of John Simmons's 2006 book Things Great and Small: Collections Management Policies. I am wondering if it is still useful 13 years on, and also whether it touches on collections management policies for non-collecting institutions that nonetheless use objects via loan.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Seeking reviews of "Things Great and Small"

Posted 03-27-2019 02:12 PM
    The good news: Absolutely relevant.   The better news: There's a new edition published in 2018 that's even better.   And only 3 of the 20 chapters are directly related to owning collections (and even they are worth reading).

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Seeking reviews of "Things Great and Small"

Posted 03-29-2019 01:17 AM
    Edited by Bradford Bredehoft 03-29-2019 01:17 AM
    Things Great and Small is still a staple used industry wide and as Janice said the 2nd edition is now available. John also teaches an online course Policies for Managing Collections for Museum Study. In the course we will critically examine the purposes and functions of collections management policies, including how collections are defined, acquired, managed, used, maintained, and deaccessioned. Participants in the course can purchase the book at a discount. John Simmons has also developed a board game as a compliment to the book? It is called Monopolicy the Collections Management Policy Game and it is available on Museum Study's website. The Monopolicy game is free to download and use to foster discussions of collection management policies in your institution.
    Bradford Bredehoft
    CEO
    Museum Study - Museum Study, LLC

• 4.  RE: Seeking reviews of "Things Great and Small"

Posted 03-29-2019 09:57 AM
    Thanks to everyone for the responses! I'm going to share the board game with my staff. It's great to know there are resources for non-collecting institutions.

Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC