Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Temp / rH monitors

Posted 06-25-2019 02:43 PM

We have been using Hobo monitors for about the past decade and need to both replace some and expand our monitoring.  I am looking for systems that allow for wi-fi or Bluetooth access.  What monitoring systems are being used and which ones receive the most recommendations.  Is there something better out there that I should be considering?

Thanks,
    Scott

S. Scott Scholz

Chief Curator, NSCDA

Dumbarton House

Washington, D.C.  20007

202.337.2288 x.223

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Temp / rH monitors

Posted 06-26-2019 07:51 AM
    We've recently upgraded from old Hobo units that were paired with a shuttle unit to download data to the newer ones that connect via Bluetooth to a smartphone app and they are working well.

------------------------------
    John Summers
    Manager, Heritage Services
    Regional Municipality of Halton

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Temp / rH monitors

Posted 06-26-2019 09:03 AM
    How is the Hobo Mobile smartapp functioning for you? Is it easy to download and save digestible data (in graph or chart or table form), and how far back can you configure those readouts -- for instance, can you go back into the data and chart a specific time range in the past?

Christa Molinaro
    Exhibitions Manager
    Sarasota Museum of Art
    Sarasota FL

• 4.  RE: Temp / rH monitors

Posted 06-26-2019 09:19 AM
    So far so good. The app is available for Apple and Android. You can see info in real time on the phone and it aggregates online and you can export to Excel and chart/analyze.

John Summers
    Manager, Heritage Services
    Regional Municipality of Halton

• 5.  RE: Temp / rH monitors

Posted 06-26-2019 09:53 AM
    I've loved using HOBOs for year.  What is the distance over which the bluetooth will work?

Marybeth Tomka
    Curator
    Texas Archeological Research Lab - University of Texas, Austin
    San Antonio TX

• 6.  RE: Temp / rH monitors

Posted 06-26-2019 10:51 AM
    Loggers that transmit using wifi or ethernet can be great but are highly dependent on your building and IT infrastructure.  Onset (Hobo), and others have Bluetooth loggers but understanding the difference between how they transmit and how wifi loggers transmit is important. To determine what product might meet your need you might find a two webinars that I did for the Connecting to Collections Care online community helpful
    Choosing the datalogger that is right for you
    Wireless Monitoring: is it right for you!
    Products come and go but understanding the various specifications may help you think about your application and what will best meet your need.

Rachael Arenstein
    A.M. Art Conservation LLC
    rachael@amartconservation.com

• 7.  RE: Temp / rH monitors

Posted 06-26-2019 11:17 AM
    Thanks Rachael.  I have had issues with a "home" logger at my previous job and the metal in my building.  I was just curious if they had stated ranges.

Marybeth Tomka
    Curator
    Texas Archeological Research Lab - University of Texas, Austin
    San Antonio TX

• 8.  RE: Temp / rH monitors

Posted 06-26-2019 01:30 PM
    They do have ranges (Bluetooth and Wifi) but the range is generally calculated in something like a parking lot, empty field, warehouse, i.e. a big empty space so the minute you have walls, steel beams, storage cabinets, etc. the numbers go down dramatically.  I generally advise buying one and testing it out to see if it will give you the necessary range before investing in a whole bunch.

Rachael Arenstein
    A.M. Art Conservation LLC
    rachael@amartconservation.com

• 9.  RE: Temp / rH monitors

Posted 06-27-2019 09:49 AM
    Rachael's spot on. I would go further and suggest that you ask any vendor with a wireless solution to give you some test equipment to try - shouldn't be on you to buy their stuff if you're not sure it's gonna work.

There are also newer wireless options that don't use WiFi. We use LoRaWAN (Long Range Wide Area Network) which is extremely long range AND extremely low power (so the sensor batteries last 30+ months). NB-IoT is also an emerging option that re-purposes old 2g networks, similar profile to LoRaWAN but it requires cell coverage. The general class of both of these is LPWAN (Low Power Wide Area Network).

There are a lot of changes coming to the environmental monitoring space - much better price points, better technology, more conservation focus. Happy to chat with anyone about what you look for in a great solution.

Austin Senseman
    CEO @Conserv
    Birmingham, AL
    asenseman@conserv.io
    (m) 205-222-2847