Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Paint Night Events

Posted 06-30-2018 12:38 PM

Hello from the Colonial Williamsburg Art Museums!

We are exploring the possibility of a "Paint Night"/"Painting Party".

Who has tried this and to what success?

Have you offered a "Painting Party" event?

Fee?

What did the fee include?

The fee you charged, did that include snacks and beverages?

If so, what types were offered?

Did your food services department provide the snacks and beverages or did the education staff?

If you did not offer snacks and beverages, did the guests bring their own?

How often do you offer PAINT NIGHT EVENTS?

Are the paintings based on objects in your collection?

Or inspired by objects in your collection?

Is the activity run by a staff member, a local artist or other?

Is there a local WINE & DESIGN type of studio you are in competition with?

Any advice you could other or things you have learned?

Any information you could provide would be most helpful!

Thanks so much.

Christina

Christina Westenberger

Assistant Manager for Museum Education

Collections, Conservation and Museums

tcwf_logo

P. O. Box 1776
    Williamsburg, Virginia 23187
    P: (757) 220.7667 F: (757) 565.8804

history.org | cwestenberger@cwf.org

Our Mission:  To feed the human spirit by sharing America's enduring story

Help support our mission to tell America's enduring story by donating to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Paint Night Events

Posted 07-02-2018 07:42 AM
    Hiya!

Having worked for Paint Nite as a side hussle, I can assure you that the company will come down hard on any persons or companies who market a 'paint night' event because it's a direct infringement you their trademark and brand. 

I did not know that my museum was actually planning one of these and when I saw it advertised, I had to beg my boss at Paint Nite to not tell corporate. Instead she wrote a cease and desist letter. The advertised paint night event never occurred after that. 

It's best to work with a local Paint Nite to make a fundraiser out of it so it benefits both parties. 

I hope that helps coming from a former employee of the company!

Best,
    Sarah Gillis
    Associate Registrar, Collection Documentation
    Worcester Art Museum
    Worcester, MA 

Sent from an infinitesimal location within the universe.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Paint Night Events

Posted 07-02-2018 09:49 AM
    Our museum is about to host its first event that has a "paint night" feel to it, however that is not the only element of the event. First of all, it's for kids ages 10-14, so it's not marketed towards adults. The whole event is about Art and War, and how soldiers used art as a means of expressing themselves during wartime, so there is a brief lecture, tour, and a few other activities in the event besides just the painting part. We are not calling it a paint night, rather we are calling it "Art on the Battlefield" and advertised that a local artist was coming to provide step by step instructions for a mixed media piece. We are charging $15 for the event, and it does not include any food or beverages. The fee includes the painting and the fee for paying the instructor. A museum staff member will be running the rest of the event. I hope you find this helpful!

------------------------------
    Jacquelyn Gillaspie
    Volunteer Coordinator and Facilitator
    First Division Museum at Cantigny
    Wheaton IL

• 4.  RE: Paint Night Events

Posted 07-02-2018 11:20 AM
    ​We offer a program that has its roots in Paint Night, but call it a "Sampler". What we were able to determine with our members/visitors was that they didn't want to all create the same piece of art but were interested in a skill building class or opportunity to try something new.  Classes can be based on current exhibitions, our permanent collection or even if something looks cool.  A glass of wine is included with your admission with safety or cultural exceptions taking place.  If there is no wine we offer light refreshments. We have a member ($40) versus non member ($50) rate and typically cap the event at 20 people.  Our classes are taught by local artists and that is part of the draw in brining people in.  We pay CARFAC fee rates. Classes are two or three hours long.  And most everyone comes out with a finished product that is unique.

Kim Verrier
    Coordinator of Visitor Experience
    Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery
    Red Deer AB

• 5.  RE: Paint Night Events

Posted 07-02-2018 01:14 PM
    We held our first paint night event back in May, and we were able to sell out a few weeks in advance.

The painting was inspired by our newest exhibition, The Beautiful Brain, and attendees created a painting of three neurons. For this event, we partnered with a scientific company called Eyewire. Their painting graphic designer created the painting, and led the event, and their executive director gave scientific commentary while we were painting, so visitors learned more about the brain, in addition to creating art. Our attendees really enjoyed the combination of art and science in the event. 

The event was $35 (which is the most expensive event that we've hosted), and it included wine and snacks. We do not have a food service department, so we purchased fruit, cheese, and veggie trays from a local grocery store. 

We would like to continue to host these events with paintings inspired by exhibitions or pieces from our collection, but to do that, we will need to find an instructor who can lead this type of project. 

I'd be happy to talk with you more if you have any other questions!

Jennifer Novotney, PhD
    Public Programs Coordinator
    MIT Museum
    617-324-7313