Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Beyond Just Serving Schools: New Directions taken by Ed Departments?

Posted 11-29-2019 07:57 PM

Greetings, all! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families:

As education director of a private non-profit with historic colonial-era houses, I have spent a good deal of time over the last few years working to make our historic house educational programs appealing to teachers and their students. I have translated programs that had been docent centered to student centered collaborative experiences utilizing primary documents (and I have heard really good things from the teachers I have served). Yet, the schools are not coming to either on-site or distance learning in nearly the numbers they once had in pre 2008 recession...

I am therefore rethinking the educational programming we offer to consider ways I can to reach audiences and bring in income that no longer depends on serving schools during the school year (we have fairly robust summer and winter break programming). Might I ask the other Ed Directors out there: First of all, does this resonate with you? What direction are you taking your ed departments in terms of audiences you serve? Is diversification of programs away from dependence on schools during the school year the name of the game (to, say, weekend family programs, and events?)?

In addition, I also have learned how important it is to learn to "speak" the language of school admins in the offerings of programs, so that is one thing I plan to try in our marketing materials.    But I am thinking that I connecting- and remaining connected- with schools is getting harder and harder.  Any thoughts or inspiration is welcome! And as part of the spirit of thanks, I am definitely thankful for AAM. I learn and am comforted by the exchange that happens here.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Deborah Boudreau
    Education Director
    Rocky Point NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Beyond Just Serving Schools: New Directions taken by Ed Departments?

Posted 12-02-2019 10:06 AM
    Hi Deborah,

I have some analogous experience at an art-ed non profit (was not an ed director, but assisted with programming). We found that schools and teachers had a lot of reasons for not being able to schedule even in-classroom time, despite trying to aline programs with their curriculum goals. Reaching out to established homeschool groups was a way that we increased our programming (but it wasn't quite enough to make up the difference). We also looked at programs and tried to see how they did or did not align with the district goals that were set for the intended grade levels and worked to bridge the gap there. 

If you have successful summer and winter break programming, would it be feasible to try out a spring break program? Many parents are looking for activities for their children during the break, and it might not need to be very different from the programs you've already had success with. 

Best of luck!
    Liz

Elizabeth Davis

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Beyond Just Serving Schools: New Directions taken by Ed Departments?

Posted 12-02-2019 02:24 PM
    It is so great to look for ways to bring your museum mission to students outside of school as well as in school. To diversify our youth-focused programs in addition to school field trips, we host youth- and family-friendly public events on the weekends, some of which generate additional revenue, and some that don't directly (guided walks, hands-on workshops, pop-ups with experts in the Museum, and outreach to family fairs/farmers markets/etc). We have also modified some of our school program content for after school programs, which are eager for enriching content. So far, we take the programs to the after school centers (except for the ones in walking distance to us). I have also seen successful models of offering after school "clubs" or "classes" one per week for 4 or 6 weeks, typically for the very interested student of a particular topic, or for families hoping to bolster extracurricular activities and out-of-school learning. 

All that said, it is very valuable to speak with teachers and administrators to identify THEIR needs, and see how to support them. We offer transportation and program scholarships (funded through grant writing), and have worked with our county office of education to understand their priorities for teachers, and even participate in county-wide trainings and continued education initiatives for teachers. Through this work we have been able to adjust our programs to suit the needs of teachers (and speak to the interests of the administrators--mostly with regards to achieving standards), and we have been able to demonstrate how our programs can truly support their goals. 

Felicia B. Van Stolk
    Executive Director (formerly Education Director)
    831.420.6115 x 11

Connecting people with nature and science to inspire stewardship of the natural world.

• 4.  RE: Beyond Just Serving Schools: New Directions taken by Ed Departments?

Posted 12-02-2019 02:35 PM

Hi Deborah,

Great question about school groups. In addition to schools, we're working toward providing experiences to students and families through community-based partners (i.e. non-school youth- and family-serving organizations). As such, we've developed relationships with local out-of-school-time organizations, social service organizations, service volunteer organizations, etc. to help reach and serve the families that they serve. We're finding staff at these organizations very responsive to engaging with us and to bringing their students to the museum. The community-based organizations also have different curricular requirements and more flexible schedules than schools, which can make scheduling that much easier. Our goal is also to serve the whole child (not just the child while they're in school), which includes reaching the family. Community-based organizations are a great way to connect with families.

Happy to talk with you (and others) more!

Best,
    Kim 

Kim Kuta Dring
    Director of Education
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL

• 5.  RE: Beyond Just Serving Schools: New Directions taken by Ed Departments?

Posted 12-03-2019 12:02 PM

Dear Deborah,

I wanted to offer what might be an issue for schools in your local district, new field trip guidelines!  We have had quite a few teachers this year either not taking students on trips at all or scheduling months out because of new rigorous guidelines from the local district.  While we all agree that safety of the students is the most important factor in any visit, we have reached out to the school district to make them aware of the safe child policy and formalities that are in place here at our museum and throughout our campus in order to make the field trip scheduling and approval process easier for teachers.  Might be worth a call or letter to get in touch with the district to see if their policy has changed over the past few years.  No changes have been made district-wise but we are trying to help teachers by being as proactive as possible.

Best of luck,

Sherri

Sherri Jones

Assistant Administrator of Education

Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art

1430 Johnson Lane

Eugene, OR 97403

sdjones@uoregon.edu

jsmatour@uoregon.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

541-346-0910

• 6.  RE: Beyond Just Serving Schools: New Directions taken by Ed Departments?

Posted 12-03-2019 09:28 AM
    Edited by Annie Thomas Bubel 12-04-2019 10:04 AM
    Hi Deborah,

I work for Nemours Estate (mansion and French formal gardens), the former home of Alfred I. duPont. Alfred and his wife Jessie founded a children's hospital on their property which was built in 1940, today known as the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children. Thanks to our unique setup, we have had the opportunity to provide museum programming in a hospital setting. This has been a fantastic partnership and a whole different angle than traditional school programming. Needless to say, this type of endeavor requires more legwork in terms of coordinating with different hospital departments. If anyone is interested in discussing hospital educational programming I would be more than pleased to share our experiences with you. We find it very rewarding!

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Community Education & Museum Services Coordinator
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE
    annie.thomas-bubel@nemours.org

• 7.  RE: Beyond Just Serving Schools: New Directions taken by Ed Departments?

Posted 12-04-2019 10:51 PM
    Thank you all so much for all the information, insight and support. I am excited to review and explore with my team!  Sincerely, Deborah.