Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dataloggers

Posted 09-20-2017 06:19 PM

Hello,

I am looking to purchase some new dataloggers. We have a mixture of really old HOBO ones (which are on the way out) and the Lascar wifi loggers. The wifi ones have been an issue of late and keep not properly connecting to the wifi. I've checked our signal and it is fine, so it seems to be a problem with the loggers. Can anyone recommend a good, reliable electronic logger? I was looking at the HOBO MX1101 online...has anyone used that? I'd like to spend $150 - $200 per logger. 

Kali 

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Dataloggers

Posted 09-21-2017 08:31 AM
    We use the HOBO MX1101 in our collection buildings. The initial setup is easy and the loggers work well. We have noticed that staff with android devices can have a harder time connecting to the devices, than staff with ios devices which have had no problems at all.

------------------------------
    Bruce Piatek
    Director
    Jekyll Island Museum
    Jekyll Island GA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Dataloggers

Posted 09-21-2017 10:10 AM
    The one caveat with the HOBO MX1101 loggers is the type of smart phone you use to launch & download the logger.  I have found that Android devices (I have one) don't always work with the loggers where as iphones seem to always work.  I've spoken to Onset about it & they know that is an issue & are trying to deal with it.  They are nice little loggers - I just wish they worked consistently with my phone :).

Sue Maltby, Conservator
    Maltby & Associates Inc.
    Adjunct Faculty, Museum Studies Programme/Faculty of Information, University
    of Toronto
    174 Spadina Ave., #508
    Toronto, Ontario
    M5T 2C2
    416-921-2877

Susan Maltby
    Conservator
    Toronto ON

• 4.  RE: Dataloggers

Posted 09-21-2017 10:23 AM
    Hi Kali,

We use a mixture of HOBOs and PEM2s. I really like the PEM2 dataloggers developed by the Image Permanence Institute. They are easy to use, the batteries last much longer, and the logger holds a lot more data.  We also pay for a subscription to use the online eClimate Notebook software, also developed by the IPI. It has been an invaluable tool for us to document and track temperature and relative humidity in our exhibit and storage spaces. We can still upload the HOBO data, but there are a couple extra steps. We also have some gaps in our data from when the HOBO ran out battery power and/or storage space. The PEM2s are a bit more pricey than the HOBOs though ($349 each for 1-9 units, $299 each for 10+ units), so I can see why others may not choose them and then there is an annual fee to use eClimate Notebook as well. Good luck with you decision!

Ann Roos
    Museum Curator
    Rosie the Riveter/WWII Home Front NHP
    Richmond, CA

• 5.  RE: Dataloggers

Posted 09-09-2022 03:00 PM
    I've been looking through the old listserv discussions on dataloggers because we are needing to replace or upgrade our loggers.  I've got some good insights but have additional questiosn.

We have been using Hobos (manually dowloaded) but our shuttle broke and can't be replaced.  I seen here and on their website that Onset is transitioning to Hobos that are bluetooth connected, which we may or may not be able to use since I work for a state government which may restrict using the app on personal devices and not sure yet if we have a work issued device on which to use the app.  If that issue is overcome, I see that the app then sends the data to HoboLink which creates graphs etc.  I am curious as to what museum people familiar HoboLink think of it?  Especially in comparison to eclimatenotebook which was developed specifically with the needs of cultural institutions in mind.  We currently use eclimatenotebook and really like it and I would like to continue using it.  I do see where data on HoboLink could be downloaded as a CSV file which could then be uploaded to eclimatenotebook.  However, that is an extra step I would prefer to avoid.  Can we send Hobo data directly from the Hobo app to eclimatenotebook bypassing HoboLink?

I will look at/watch the FAIC resources provided in other discussion threads on choosing the right datalogger for my institution.  But those are getting dated.  So are there other loggers (Bluetooth enabled or otherwise) besides Hobos which I should consider because they can be uploaded to eclimatenotebook without the extra step?
    I wanted to look at the PEM 2 dataloggers since they are from IPI which created eclimatenotebook but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere : /   Is IPI no longer selling their own brand of dataloggers?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  Have a great weekend.

Katherine Owens
    Curator of Collections
    Missouri State Museum
    Jefferson City, MO

• 6.  RE: Dataloggers

Posted 09-13-2022 10:32 AM
    Hi Katherine, 

Too funny to see this pop up again. I originally posted this way back in 2017. For loggers I now use Conserv, I recommend checking them out. Their sensors are great, highly sensitive and update wirelessly to your Conserve account every few minutes. Their website is here: conserv.io

Kali Mason
    Curator, Perot Family Collections
    Dallas TX

• 7.  RE: Dataloggers

Posted 09-13-2022 12:13 PM
    Kali,

Thanks for the response.  Yes I wanted to go through the archives first to see if I could find an answer to my questions.  
    I appreciate the information on Conserv as I had never heard of that company. However, just looking at their website it appears pretty pricy.  We have three buildings and over 12 loggers currently in use.  If I am reading the pricing data correctly its $220/sensor/year to use the monitoring subscription.  That's a pretty good chunk of change and outside my organizations budget.

Thanks again for your time.  Have a great day.

Kate Owens

Katherine Owens
    Curator of Collections
    Missouri State Museum
    Jefferson City, MO