Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Interviewing

Posted 02-26-2019 06:56 PM
    I interviewed for a position but was not taken to the next level. Now, they want to interview me again. Does this put me in a stronger position? If so, how would you recommend I handle it? Thanks.

------------------------------
    edward shurbutt
    Asheville NC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Interviewing

Posted 02-27-2019 08:02 AM
    A call-back for a second interview suggests you are in a stronger position than you were at the first interview Edward.  While I know from experience it does not mean you will be the successful candidate, I also know from experience that it might.  (Got the gold after one second  interview, the silver after another.)  I discuss second interviews briefly in my book How to Get A Museum Job (Rowman & Littlefield, April, 2019).  If you would like to get a draft copy of my interview chapter, or ask other questions, feel free to send me an email:  sh.miller2@verizon.net.

Good Luck,

Steve

Steven Miller
    Doylestown, PA

Executive Director Retired
    Boscobel Restoration, Inc.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Interviewing

Posted 02-27-2019 11:15 AM
    You've left out some key details that would speak to whether your are in a "stronger" position or possibly in a weaker position. If you are a veteran in the industry and have a proven track record, the organization may have initially believed they didn't have the resources to attract you and later changed their direction and decided to make the investment. On the other side, if you are newer to the workforce and don't have that level of experience and background, it could be very possible that their first and second choices fell through and their going back to look at the candidates they passed on the first time around. 

In either case I would suggest focusing on the interview process and putting yourself in a position to become their top candidate. It really isn't a negotiation until the organization decides that you are a good fit for their operation and team. During the interview you should be evaluating if the position and organization are a good fit for you. Take an honest look at your first interview and determine what you can do to present yourself as a valuable asset that they need to bring on. If you should focus on developing a relationship that helps the organization confidently select you for the position. 

I've hired a lot of people over the course of my career and ensuring candidates have the proper qualifications and are a good fit for the organization are always top considerations.

Kenneth Bennett
    Director of Security
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX

• 4.  RE: Interviewing

Posted 02-28-2019 09:56 AM
    I agree with Steve you are likely in a stronger position. You may never know the reason for the callback. Maybe the top candidate withdrew. Maybe the chief nay-sayer against you on the search committee changed her/his mind. Maybe the museum found what they  thought was a missing element in your background through some other means, so now they are free to re-consider the best things you do offer. In terms of preparing, think hard on what might have come across to the search committee as weaknesses. When you were interviewing the first time, did you feel like anyone was reacting to a red flag? Those are the points where you get a second chance--maybe even to ask before you leave this time: have I addressed whatever concerns you may have?

Deborah Smith
    Consultant Belfast Maine

• 5.  RE: Interviewing

Posted 02-27-2019 10:33 AM
    Hi Edward - Having worked within corporate HR my entire career, re-initiating contact with a candidate happens for several reasons. Sometimes the leading candidates drop out (takes another offer, doesn't want to relocate, etc.). Sometimes the job changes, and you become a better fit--even though it's the same job description, the priorities change. Sometimes it's a related but different opportunity and you align better with those requirements.

So, it is a good question for you to ask: What changed?

Are you in a stronger position? Well, yes; true anytime you are called for another interview. But that doesn't translate to higher salary (e.g., internal decisions may require a lower budget).

Good luck!

Greg Moss
    Museum Planning Committee
    International Society of Antique Scale Collectors (www.isasc.org)
    Pittsburgh, PA