Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

• 1.  Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 09-24-2019 11:14 AM

This question has been on my mind lately. Between ICOM's new definition for museum and the rise in public attention (and criticism) for the Museum of Ice Cream, I wonder; are they a museum?

Though I personally have never visited, I had been on the fence about whether or not they were a "museum" in the traditional sense. It seems they are more or less an immersive, interactive art installation/adult playground.

I recently heard a great podcast from Jeff Martin at the Philbrook that caused me to have a change of heart about the Museum of Ice Cream and its national impact.

ICOM calls for a new definition because museums are changing… is the Museum of Ice Cream contributing to this change?

What are your thoughts?

Mackenzie Finklea

Website | LinkedIn

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 09-25-2019 09:28 AM
    Mackenzie,

Well, first and foremost, the Museum of Ice Cream is a for-profit -- that alone tells me something. When you read the About section of the website, you quickly get the sense that this place is more amusement than education -- with Instagram-worthy installations and backdrops and a hefty ticket price.

This August artnet news article provides info on the company behind it.

I'm disheartened this place calls itself a museum. I don't think it contributes to the societal change the ICOM draft definition articulates or to any serious definition regarding a museum's role in a rapidly changing (and challenging) society.

Anne

-- 
    Anne W. Ackerson
    Creative Leadership & Management Solutions
    1914 Burdett Avenue
    Troy, New York  12180
    T:  518-271-2455
    E:  anne@awackerson.com

Read my Blog, Leading by Design
    Follow me on Twitter and on LinkedIn
    Visit my Website

Subscribe to Take 5, the newsletter with a fresh take on nonprofit life

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 09-25-2019 02:42 PM
    Anne, I like that the article refers to it anything similar as "experium" making a new word for this seemingly new concept​ is not a bad idea. The "experium" concept is basically a form of entertainment, that in some cases calls itself "museum". I haven't visited the Museum of Ice Cream, but from what I understand from their own descriptions it doesn't fit what I would expect from such a museum, which would be to learn things about ice cream, it's history, how it is, or was made, how people use and enjoy it in different cultures, etc.. As an ice cream lover, I might enjoy myself at the Museum of Ice Cream, but probably not come out with much more knowledge about ice cream. I think that perhaps the original reason for calling it "Museum" might have been to say that it isn't just an ice cream shop, and that's where the description "experium" makes sense.

------------------------------
    Valeria Kondratiev
    The Frick Collection
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 09-27-2019 01:36 PM
    I've been to the Museum of Ice Cream-which, incidentally, is NOT about ice cream; it's more like a pink and candy-colored immersive experience in gigantism and all the senses; like a Barbie dream come to life-and the Color Factory. The Color Factory hews closer to a "museum" since it has some less interactive art installations and credited artists, but perhaps a term like "art center" or the aforementioned "experieum" are better signifiers. Ephemeral art experiences have always existed and been hard to collect or document, so perhaps looking to those histories is a good exercise.

Amanda Boesen
    Graphic Designer
    Oakland Museum of California
    Oakland CA

• 5.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 09-26-2019 10:00 AM
    Hey Anne,  As you probably know, the NYS Ed. Dept. regulates what and who may use the word Museum in their title.  You might want to drop Mark Shaming a note to look into it.  They often block commercial outfits from using the term...cheers, Sully

Robert Sullivan
    Partner
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 10-03-2019 05:35 PM
    Leaving to one side the question of who gets to call themselves a museum, I am have been uncomfortable with comment that being a for-profit tells us "something" about the organization regardless of its mission, exhibits, programming or other activities.    

Thankfully Beth Merritt has come to the rescue with a very timely interview with the founder of the Sex Museum, which is (according to Beth) one of the rare examples of a for-profit museum:
    https://www.aam-us.org/2019/09/23/the-museum-of-sex-whats-it-like-to-be-a-for-profit-museum/://www.aam-us.org/2019/09/23/the-museum-of-sex-whats-it-like-to-be-a-for-profit-museum/

The non-profit sector is pretty much unique to the US, so requiring that status (or government operated) for an entity to be a "true" museum may not be a helpful criterion when determining a global definition.

Janice Klein

Tempe AZ

• 7.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 10-03-2019 06:01 PM
    Thank you Janice.  I read the interview.  It will be interesting to see how long the entity lasts.  That aside, as with the Ice Cream museum I have found no mention of why  either uses the word museum in their title.

Steve  

• 8.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 10-03-2019 06:21 PM
    For profit museums are a lot more common than one might think.  The most prominent one was perhaps the International Spy Museum in Washington, DC. It caused quiet a stir when it opened with a ~$20 admission fee in a city known for its free, and fabulous, museums. How could it compete? It did by providing a careful crafted (and curated) experience with a plethora of original artifacts and engaging "spy" experiences. I liked it, and admired their Chutzpah in putting in giving it a shot.

It was so popular (?), that they eventually converted to a nonprofit and recently opened in a bigger location south of the Mall. I don't know all the details, but would be hard pressed not to call it a museum from the beginning.

Another for-profit museum that "reads" like a nonprofit is the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee. I was shocked when they didn't honor my AAM card. The collection is astonishing, even if you don't like motorcycles, and the attached bar is nothing like your typical museum cafe. Lots of leather, beer, and burgers. Very popular.

At the other end of the spectrum are the roadside museums that used to be everywhere and now can still be found on the backest of back roads. One of my favorites is the Dukes of Hazzard Museum, featuring in their collection genuine Daisy Duke shorts and, as a visitor experience, a ride in the General Lee. 

The Museum of Sex actually makes a pretty good case for their choice of for-profit status. Go visit. They are as museum-like as any other place I have been in with fascinating exhibits rich in artifacts.  It must have been ten years since I visited and I still have vivid memories of their exhibit on Japanese foot binding. 

Drawing hard lines is a challenge.

Guy

Guy Hermann
    Museum Insights
    Master Planning for Museums
    http://www.museuminsights.com
    guy@museuminsights.com

• 9.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 10-04-2019 09:55 AM
    I agree with you, Janice.

There are plenty of museums that successfully exist outside the traditional mold.

The Dallas Contemporary -- a non-collecting museum.
    The Sex Museum -- a for-profit museum.
    The Girl Museum -- entirely online and digital.

The question I think, for me, ultimately is; did I walk away having learned something?

Maybe the Museum of Ice Cream teaches us something different than knowledge in the book sense. In the podcast (mentioned above), the Director of Marketing mentions the nostalgic relationship CEO Mary Ellis Bunn has with ice cream and sharing moments with her family-- and the Museum of Ice Cream seems to be "mission driven" by that same idea; sharing moments with people and connecting.

I think the museum has real potential for being a place of connection rather than superficial disconnection (i.e. "Instagrammable" and nothing more).

Mackenzie Finklea

Website | LinkedIn

Mackenzie Finklea
    Executive Assistant
    The Bryan Museum
    Galveston TX

• 10.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 10-04-2019 02:58 PM
    ​I just had a thought about another museum that I believe is "for profit", Madame Tusseaud's wax museum. I guess that is an example of a "for profit" that is also a very traditional museum in the sense that it has a collection that it shows that educates the public about famous and historic people. Profit or no profit, I have no question about Madame Tusseaud's being a museum, as it operates in every way like a traditional museum, providing information along with the wax figures, so it is a learning experience about the characters we are seeing depicted there, along with learning about their fame, etc. The Museum of Ice Cream seems to be more of an amusement experience, like a Disney World experience. I guess I'm thinking that if that is a museum, then FAO Schwartz (toy store) was a museum, and the Apple Store is a museum, as these are stores that also offer a whole experience and the possibility of spending lots of time there having fun playing with the products they are selling.

Valeria Kondratiev
    The Frick Collection
    New York NY

• 11.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 09-26-2019 07:59 AM
    Such a great question, Mackenzie! 

In the traditional definition, the Ice Cream Museum is not a museum - not even close - because it neither collects, preserves, nor interprets anything. 

Regardless, actual authentic museums are competing with the Ice Cream Museum and other selfie-ready installations for peoples' leisure time. Our firm, Luci Creative, has a white paper that suggests ways that cultural institutions can compete with these places, providing "Instagrammable" experiences within museum exhibitions. 

Here's a link (and there's a downloadable PDF as well): https://lucicreative.com/say-cheese-3-ways-museums-can-compete-with-instagrammable-pop-ups/

Enjoy!

David
    ______

David Whitemyer, AIA
    Luci Creative
    david@lucicreative.com

David Whitemyer AIA
    Director of Business Development
    Luci Creative
    Lincolnwood IL

• 12.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 09-27-2019 01:01 PM
    Dear Colleagues:

The conversation about defining a museum has been enjoyable.  In practice, after all is said, done, and pursued, what makes museums unique is their collection-based ethos.  No other human invention exists to use the tangible to provide immediate or long-term evidence of the intangible.  In essence, as they evolved into their present configuration, museums have not changed much.  Their programming and how it is delivered can alter though.  We see this reflected in such phrases as "rethinking the museum," or "museums for a new century," or "reinventing the museums." or " the new museology." How inclusive or exclusive a museum is or can be depends on where a specific museum is at a specific time in its development.  As previously noted, the very type of museum will cause it to be exclusive as some people could care less about its subject and never visit. 

My generic work-a-day museum definition is not dictionary material.  It is an operating guide that I found of immense value on the job.  The thoughtful discussion underway here aligns with my simple thinking.  Regardless of my perspective, there have been lapses in what most people would consider a museum.  The Ice Cream museum offers a perfect example.  These, and similar variants, are exceptions that make the rule.  Perhaps I missed it but when I visited the website I did not see any explanation of why it uses the word museum.  Perhaps the owner wants to pump-up credibility since mainstream museums have scoops of that.  (Sorry, could not resist.)  

There is precedence of how the word museum is creatively applied by entrepreneurs.   This aspect of museum history is either absent in discussions of the subject or only mentioned briefly.  The most prominent example is P.T. Barnum's mid-nineteenth establishment at Broadway and Ann St. in New York City.  Another was the Eden Musee on W. 23rd Street in that same city at the end of the same century.  Both exemplified the museum as side-show venture to make money by entertaining. 

Of course there are many places today that are museums in fact if not in name.  The Frick Collection, NYC, the National Gallery, Washington, DC. and the Barnes Foundation, Philadelphia, immediately come to mind.  How and if the word museum is used continues to be considered by museum-like places.  Not too long ago the Indianapolis Museum of Art, lowered the prominence of that name and is now referred to as Newfields because of its large campus with includes far more than a museum operation.  On the flip side, the Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens, San Marino, CA  just replaced the word collections with the word museum.     

Cheers,

Steve

Steven Miller
    Doylestown, PA

Executive Director Retired
    Boscobel Restoration, Inc.

• 13.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 09-26-2019 11:30 AM
    Another example is the Spam museum in Austin, Minnesota. It's a great experience and lots of fun, but is it really a museum? It is a fantastic marketing tool and actually an excellent food product marketing and branding case study. But, does it contribute to societal change? Here's another question that a now-retired architectural historian once asked about a building being nominated for the state register of historic places (in CT): "What are to we learn from this?" I often keep that question in mind.

Wayne
    Executive Director
    MN

• 14.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 09-30-2019 05:47 AM
    If we think about the original "museum," which was the home of the Muses, then a broad, inclusive, and porous definition is very much in order! Botanical gardens and arboreta, zoos and science centers, historic sites and interpretive centers all function as "museums." Non-profit or for-profit, private or public, are probably not decisive criteria. And the meaning of collections in a digital age is also up for grabs! The discussion of definitions seems to be useful primarily because it exemplifies reflection and self-awareness: What does my institution want to do, for whom, and how?

Avi Decter
    Brooklyn NY

• 15.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 10-02-2019 09:38 AM
    Avi--

It sounds like we are very much on the same page. Perhaps the distinction that needs to be made here is between an exclusive definition and and inclusive definition. One sets boundaries. The other invites discussion. It reminds me of the difference between prescriptive and descriptive grammar.  The first says "This is the correct way." The other says "This is how people actually speak." One allows innovation and creativity.  The other locks it out. There is certainly value in consistency of grammar and usage to ensure understanding, but it is a sad day when that is at the expense of lyricism and romance.

ICOM may need a definition to determine who is in and who is out. But perhaps the rest of us can be more generous.

Museums are the homes of the Muses. I like it.

Guy Hermann
    Museum Insights
    guy@museuminsights.com

• 16.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 10-02-2019 09:50 AM
    Guy,

I like this! Do you think it is the job to provide an exclusive or inclusive definition-- or perhaps both?

For instance, Merriam Webster Dictionary simply says; an institution devoted to the procurement, care, study, and display of objects of lasting interest or value.

(Muse)um -- need that on a T-shirt!

Mackenzie Finklea

Website | LinkedIn

Mackenzie Finklea
    Executive Assistant
    The Bryan Museum
    Galveston TX

• 17.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 10-02-2019 02:51 PM
    I like your t-shirt idea!  We could all use more Musing.

To me, the dictionary definition is a good starting place for an exclusive definition.  It leaves out children's museums and places like the Holocaust Museum, which might have objects of lasting value, but is primarily "devoted" to telling the story of the Holocaust (and by the way, changing the way people see the world).

I think that if an institution or organization needs a definition with boundaries in order to focus their work, they should be able to use whatever definition their constituencies find compelling, or at least palatable. For those of us who work with, or just enjoy, a plethora of Muse-driven experiences, a definition like mine or Avi's is more useful. 

Guy

Guy Hermann
    Museum Insights
    guy@museuminsights.com

• 18.  RE: Is the Museum of Ice Cream a Museum?

Posted 10-01-2019 05:17 PM
    It feels like a retail experience rather than a museum to me. More retail experiences like this are continuing to pop up under the guise of both museums and art exhibits.

Kristina Lopez
    Events Manager
    New York NY