Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Training Resources for Volunteers that Interact with Children

Posted 11-21-2017 07:29 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for modern training materials that I can use at my children's museum for our volunteers. We are seeing an increase in visitor attendance (which is good) but I want our volunteers to have better training on dealing with children who are disruptive/misbehaving and also with children who have special needs. 

Also, any advice on how to handle issues with field trips and chaperones who don't supervise their children - I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance!

Brittany

------------------------------
    Brittany Wedd
    Director of Operations
    Discovery Station at Hagerstown, Inc.
    Hagerstown MD
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Training Resources for Volunteers that Interact with Children

Posted 11-22-2017 09:43 AM
    Hi Brittany! 

I don't have any official training materials, but I'd still love to offer some advice!

This is an issue I've been having with our volunteers as well, and it's definitely a process teaching them how to handle those situations. One of the things that I've done is talked about how to redirect misbehaving energy into something productive/educational. I work at a military museum, so we have a ton of cool artifacts that kids get very excited and disruptive about. One of the major things that kids react to are our weapons displays. When a volunteer is giving a tour to a group and sees that the kids are distracted by our weapons and getting disruptive, they know to read their audience and change their tour to focus on what the kids are interested in. In this case, they'd focus their tour more on weaponry and technology in warfare. I also had someone from the National Association for Interpretation come and speak to my volunteers about reading their audience and creating dynamic tours and field trips that will engage the kids. When it comes to tours or field trips for kids with special needs, I have several co workers and volunteers who have a lot of experience with special ed, so I make sure that I assign those staff and volunteers to those groups.   

Issues with chaperones who aren't stepping in while their kids misbehave is also a major problem. We try to make our expectations for our chaperones very clear when they arrive. If they still are not actively supervising, our guides will step in and ask them to please ask their kids to be respectful. If the kids are completely out of line and the chaperones are not helping and have been asked multiple times to supervise their kids, we have a policy that our volunteers and guides can end their field trip at any time. Obviously that is in extreme cases and happens very infrequently, but volunteers (or staff members!) should not have to deal with continuously being disrespected. Museums are fun and it's ok to have fun, but there is a level of respect that kids must learn.  

I hope this is helpful and I wish your museum luck! Congratulations on your increase in visitor attendance!

Jacquelyn Gillaspie
    Volunteer Coordinator and Facilitator
    First Division Museum at Cantigny
    Wheaton IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Training Resources for Volunteers that Interact with Children

Posted 11-22-2017 04:08 PM
    The best advice I can give on handling chaperones: Call them by name at the very beginning, thank them for helping, and describe what they are helping with: "Thank you, Mrs. Jones, for joining us today and helping to keep our group together and our bodies, voices and behavior under control in this exciting environment."

Susan Hogan
    Museum Educator
    Hawaii State Art Museum
    Honolulu HI
    [susan.m.hogan@hawaii.gov]susan.m.hogan@hawaii.govsusan.m.hogan@hawaii.govsusan.m.hogan@hawaii.gov

• 4.  RE: Training Resources for Volunteers that Interact with Children

Posted 11-25-2017 10:04 AM
    And smile as you shake them by the hand and look them in the eye when you thank them/ask for their future assistance.

Walter Burgoyne
    Asst. Dir of Education for Interpretation
    National World War II Museum
    New Orleans LA

• 5.  RE: Training Resources for Volunteers that Interact with Children

Posted 11-23-2017 09:25 PM
    Hello,

It is great to think proactively about how to handle these kind of situations. I wish I had a prepacked set of materials to point your towards (note to self, get working on that!) but I can give you a few ideas. You will want to spend some time talking about child development. Just basic overviews of what to expect from different children at different ages. I'm not sure what ages you are working with but the difference  between a young four year old and a five year old in kindergarten are much bigger then you might expect!

Regarding behavior, the things to look for are "classroom management techniques." There are lots of ideas on the internet and in teacher prep materials and you can tailor it to your space. Having a set of of things you introduce/use at the beginning of the tour and then can employ to regain focus are usually pretty effective. For example, I talk to the kids I work with about "museum manners" (catch a bubble, hands on stomach/in pocket, walking feet) then if I need to regain focus in the museum I say "Let's put our museum manners back on!"

I know others have added their thoughts about chaperones so hopefully you are getting what you need!

Sarah

Sarah Erdman
    Museum and Early Childhood Education Consultant
    Washington DC