Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Adhesive Wall Labels

Posted 02-27-2017 12:55 PM
    I'm looking for a type of wall label that is made of polyester fabric with an adhesive backing, that can be printed out like "Avery" labels.
    Does anyone happen to know a vendor in the NY area?  I am curating an alumni student photo show in a large atrium space. Walls are cinderblock brick. I can use regular white labels but think the fabric would stand out more and look more elegant too.

Any suggestions are welcome of cloth or paper adhesive labels of good quality.

​Lena Hyun, Curator/Coordinator
    Rockland Community College Art Dept.
    Suffern, NY 10901​
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Adhesive Wall Labels

Posted 02-28-2017 08:58 AM
    I would use double-sided foam tape. It would adhere better to the irregularities of the wall without transferring those irregularities to your label. you may also want to use a layer of bristol board behind the fabric to make it more rigid.

------------------------------
    Ian Swope
    Exhibit Designer
    Winchester MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Adhesive Wall Labels

Posted 03-11-2017 03:03 PM
    We print labels on regular paper, then mount them onto scrap matboard with positionable mounting adhesive and trim them with a matcutter. They stick to the walls with double-sided tape, a low-tack variety that doesn't tend to tear up the sheetrock when we take them up. They've been pretty reliable, and only lift up from the wall if they get rubbed against or if the labels are larger than half a sheet of paper.

Sherry Best
    Collection Curator
    Alice C. Sabatini Gallery - Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library
    Topeka KS

• 4.  RE: Adhesive Wall Labels

Posted 02-28-2017 09:32 AM
    I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but most craft stores sell printable adhesive fabrics in shhets that you can run through your printer. Designed for printing your photos and attaching to a t-shirt.

• 5.  RE: Adhesive Wall Labels

Posted 02-28-2017 10:36 AM
    You could also print on paper, using a high-resolution image of a fabric texture as the background of the label. I would recommend Bron double-stick tape, which is strong enough that labels will stick over a long period of time, but is easier to remove completely–especially since you are adhering to cinderblock brick which may be difficult to scrape and touch-up.

Skye Malish-Olson
    Exhibition Designer
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX

• 6.  RE: Adhesive Wall Labels

Posted 03-06-2017 09:29 AM
    We use Photo-Tex "New Fabric Paper" which comes in a large roll and can be cut to size. It's fabric with a paper backing, peel-and-stick. You can order it online.

Kerry Schauber
    Research Assistant
    Memorial Art Gallery
    Rochester NY