Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cloud based survey software

Posted 05-03-2019 02:24 PM
    Dear Colleagues,
    I am trying to do a literature review of sorts of reputable cloud based survey software. Vizcaya Museum and Gardens currently uses SurveyMonkey and have been pleased with its functionality for creating surveys and data analytics. I am still curious if others have used systems they have found fits their visitor study and other data collection needs and if so if you could share what systems you are using.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Cloud based survey software

Posted 05-06-2019 08:32 AM
    At The Wolfsonian-FIU museum we have been using Google Forms for collections and conservation surveys. Free, highly customized, easy, and readily accessible to anyone online, it has proven much better than SurveyMonkey. I am pretty sure it could be worked into visitor surveys as well. Feel free to contact me if you have questions about our experience. 

Silvia Manrique | Collections Manager/Conservator
    The Wolfsonian–FIU
    1001 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139
    801.635.75.70 | wolfsonian.org

Silvia Manrique
    Project Conservation Advisor
    Wolfsonian, Florida International University
    Miami Beach FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Cloud based survey software

Posted 05-07-2019 09:13 AM
    Thank you both for bringing up this discussion, surveys/evaluations have been a consistent discussion while developing exhibitions at our venue. May I ask what has been your most successful way of presenting/requesting surveys at your venue?

Ryan Farrell
    Exhibitions & Collections Manager
    Stark Museum of Art
    Orange TX

• 4.  RE: Cloud based survey software

Posted 05-07-2019 09:24 AM
    Ryan,
    Most successful survey approaches at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens have been through people to people. We use our museum educators to often implement visitor studies surveys. This personal approach makes visitors feel their voices are being heard and they seem eager to participate.

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Miami, FL 33141

• 5.  RE: Cloud based survey software

Posted 05-10-2019 04:00 PM
    We also use Google Forms. I find it does a few things that other sites wouldn't do for free such as sending respondents to a specific page depending on their answer to a question (allows them to skip questions that don't apply) and you can ask unlimited questions (I know some services limit to 10-15 with the free option). The reporting that Google gives you isn't very detailed, but you can download everything into Excel to dig in deeper.

Where possible, and depending on the application, we try to provide both a printed and an online version of surveys and evaluations so that they can be handed out on-site and sent via email. If I am distributing a survey I don't expect them to fill out right away, I make sure there are directions for finding the survey online on the paper copy. 

Hope that is helpful,
    Elizabeth

Elizabeth Bazan
    Assistant Curator of Education
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL

• 6.  RE: Cloud based survey software

Posted 05-13-2019 09:31 AM
    Thanks so much for responses

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Miami, FL 33141