Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Staff members and comfort animals

• 1.  Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-23-2020 04:36 PM
    I was wondering what your policies may be on non-disabled staff members being allowed to have comfort dogs (pets) or in their office.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

------------------------------
    Rebecca Rosen
    Executive Assistant to the Director
    James A. Michener Art Museum
    Doylestown, PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-24-2020 06:49 AM
    I would like to add to the question and ask what policy if any your organization has regarding visitors bring comfort or service animals into the facility.

Shunzyu Haigler
    Director of Membership, Visitor Experience and Volunteers
    Newark Museum of Art
    Newark NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-27-2020 02:33 PM
    There are guidelines under the ADA about service animals that can help. https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html
    Emotional support animal guidelines would be more at the state level, though as pointed out in the ADA guidelines a dog that has been trained to sense an anxiety attack is a service animal. We of course allow service animals at our institution and have even served as a training site for organizations that are acclimating them to public spaces. It is important to make sure your staff know what they can and cannot ask and how to handle the need for a service animal as well as any other assistance with respect and tact. 

Here is an article that may be of interest for the employee question, which may be a little more difficult than access for the general visitor: https://www.workforce.com/news/a-handy-faq-for-service-animals-in-the-workplace

Lynda

Lynda Kennedy PhD
    VP Education & Evaluation
    Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-24-2020 08:25 AM
    Nope.  One person's pet is another's allergy.  Then there's the issue that airlines are having.  Comfort weasel?  Emotional support peacock?  I'm not anti-pet.  I have had and have dogs, cats, gerbils, etc.  But I think it truly would depend on what kind of institution you work in.  Farm museum?  Historic Village?  There might be a fit for that kind of operation.

Greg

Gregory A. Jackson, CA

Archivist

Bryn Athyn Historic Landmark District

Glencairn Museum

www.glencairnmuseum.org

• 5.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-28-2020 09:14 AM
    For those of us with allergies, the office environment is already a nightmare. Between the chemicals used by housekeeping staff, the prodigious amounts of scent in which some coworkers marinate, and the stale, recycled air because nobody uses windows that open anymore, any day spent in an office is a gauntlet of allergenic horrors. If you brought, say, a cat into it, I would personally be too doped up on Benadryl to get any work done!

Animals other than actually trained service dogs are a nightmare on historic sites with livestock, especially since the majority of "comfort animals" I see lack any sort of training and are rarely leashed. We haven't lost any of our livestock yet, but we've ended up with traumatized chickens and ducks that have been chased by dogs, and one guy even put his horrible little sausage of a dog on the table where we had a foodways demo going and allowed it to drink from one of my interpreters' cups. To say nothing of all the issues with these animals dropping waste which their owners do not always attend to, and the liability issue if someone is bitten by a non-service animal you allowed in.

Based on my years of bad experiences with untrained and poorly managed pets masquerading as support animals, my personal recommendation (not the position of my museum) is that sites with livestock only allow visitors to bring in those service dogs specifically required by the ADA. I've never yet (30 years in living history museums) had the first problem with a real service dog.

Jay
    --

Jay Templin, James Fort Supervisor

Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation  -  P.O. Box 1607 -  Williamsburg, VA 23187

(757) 253-4247 - fax (757) 887-1306

www.HistoryIsFun.org- Follow us on Facebook

• 6.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-24-2020 10:01 AM
    I believe that pets or comfort animals should remain at home.  There is always the issue of allergens, safety, and everyone does not care to have the distraction of animals in their workspace.  If a person is truly disabled, the law is there to make it so they can reasonably earn a living.  Employers, are to provide a safe, workplace in every sense of the word, but not necessarily a comfortable workplace.

Carol Edlow
    MPA-E, Onsite Education Services
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

• 7.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-24-2020 11:36 AM
    There's lots to unpack in this question.

What do you mean by "comfort animal"? Is it an emotional support animal or a pet? An emotional support animal is indeed helping someone with a disability...it just may not be a visible or physical disability. Support animals can be very helpful in calming folks with anxiety, etc.

That said, there is no certification or training for emotional support animals like there are for some dogs that assist folks with visible physical disabilities.

Some unethical people have ruined things by claiming that their pets are actually service animals. You can buy an official looking "working animal" vest on Amazon.

And I understand that you'd want to avoid that situation, but I encourage you to be open to discussing options with the staff person.

Juline Chevalier
    Head of Interpretation
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    Minneapolis MN

• 8.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-24-2020 12:38 PM
    Rebecca,

I think that you may benefit from reaching out to HR on staff if you have one, or if it's totally out of anyone's wheelhouse where you're at, reach out to an area college or high school disabilities coordinator and get their input. I am not an authority on the matter, but I work at a college, and it's a conversation that's come up for us. 

Essentially, my understanding that an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is primarily a residential animal. That is to say, the person who has a valid ESA may be granted exceptions for pets in housing where they might otherwise not be allowed to have them. The animal does is not trained specifically or granted exceptions for places outside of the persons primary residence. Exceptions may be made for travel?

ESAs differ from service animals because a service animal is an animal "that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability.  The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person's disability." (ADA.gov website) It's been described to me that service dogs can be considered an extension of that person in that space, because they rely directly on their service animal to go about their day. 

If you have the time, I would really reach out to someone in your area to see what kind of light they could shed for you. I think it can really vary state by state about what is or isn't routine. 

Best of luck! 

Elizabeth Davis

• 9.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-27-2020 01:16 PM
    The Ask A Manager site has handled many questions over the years about pets/service animals in workplaces, which may help you get an overview of ways this has been handled in other workplaces.

Search Results - Ask a Manager
    Ask a Manager remove preview
    Search Results - Ask a Manager
    View this on Ask a Manager >

Mamiko Carroll
    Public Information Officer
    Hawaii State Art Museum
    Honolulu HI

• 10.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 01-27-2020 12:38 PM
    Edited by Lissa Kramer 01-27-2020 12:38 PM
    Animals in a museum also increase likelihood of carrying in pests harmful to artifacts and archives.  Obviously people can bring them in as well, but people are likely to bathe more frequently than most people bathe their pets.  Pets also are more likely to have significant hair, fur, or feathers that serve as very effective hiding places for small insects like carpet beetles, fleas, etc.

Lissa Kramer
    Heritage Capital Projects
    Washington State History Museum - Historical Society
    Tacoma WA

• 11.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 02-05-2020 01:04 PM
    Edited by Tara Hart 03-19-2020 10:14 AM
    Tara Hart (she/her)
    Managing Archivist
    Whitney Museum of American Art

Tara Hart
    Pratt Institute
    Brooklyn NY

• 12.  RE: Staff members and comfort animals

Posted 02-05-2020 01:50 PM

Dear Group,

Please note that this question had to do with "pets" or comfort animals, not service animals and the ADA does not apply here except that it notes that emotional support animals are NOT protected under the law.  Let's not keep this thread going with repeated references to the ADA.  Thanks!

From someone who already gets too much email �� ,

Greg

Sent from Mail for Windows 10