Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  No Trespass Policy

Posted 02-24-2017 03:54 PM

Hello Museum Colleagues,

I'm looking to implement a no trespass policy for members that have engaged in criminal activities on location. We currently don't have any member regulations outside of purchasing stipulations. Please let me know if anyone has regulations in place and if  willing to share.

Thanks

Pamela

Pamela Riles

Rated one of the 10 Best Children's Museums in the U.S.

And a USA Today 10Best

butterfly

www.TheDoSeum.org | Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: No Trespass Policy

Posted 02-27-2017 11:16 AM
    What you need in place is a Code of Conduct for Visitors and a Code of Conduct for Staff.  Those found in violation of the published code may be denied access, even as a visitor.  Those persons who are properly banned or removed from the property become trespassers if they re-enter, but only if they are told, in writing, that they are not welcome.  You invite the public, contractors, staff, volunteers, and others to visit the property.  For various causes (stated in the Codes of Conduct), you may remove that invitation, and advise the subject they are not welcome to return.  Removal by force should involve the police, who may arrest for trespass, only if the charge meets the above criteria.  Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.  

------------------------------
    Stevan Layne
    CEO & Founding Director
    Layne Consultants International
    Nokomis FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: No Trespass Policy

Posted 02-28-2017 04:37 PM
    Not knowing what state you are in, my answers will be based on California law.   Under California law,if a person is not authorized to be private property, they can be told to leave.  If they do not or refuse to leave, then they have committed the crime of trespassing and local law enforcement can be called.  If they leave when told, then no crime.  Any property owner can post their  property with "No Trespassing" signs and certain property must post signs every so many feet.  Even posted as such, it still takes a property owner or authorized representative to order the people to leave.  However, property owners or authorized representative can send a letter to the appropriate law enforcement agency or agencies stating anyone found on the property, say between 6 PM to 6 AM is not authorized and law enforcement can order them off or arrest.  This same authority to removed can be provided to a private security patrol.

Property owners have a lot of latitude in  ordering people off their property or banning them.     

We had a volunteer who violated two policies -  Bringing an unauthorized person (his minor child) into a work space and using an aircraft engine hoist without authorization/permission.  He put his son in a rock climbing harness and raised him off the floor with the engine hoist.  Unfortunately the son fell, suffered a head injury and died.  The father/volunteer was instructed (verbal) to remain away from the Museum's property during the resulting civil suits.  He continued to show up for some events and on his own.  After discussing it with me, the Executive Director and I met with the gentleman.  He was given a written letter outlining what had taken place and previous stay-away instructions.  The letter ended with written instructions to stay-away and some additional conditions.  The Exec Director, myself and the volunteer signed the letter with the date he received a copy.  However, he felt that order only applied if has doing Museum activities.  He continued to come to the Museum based on his relationship with other organizations he was affiliated with .  So I had to prepare a second letter "banning" him from ever being on any property of the Museum, in any capacity, with any organization.  A second in person meeting was held and the letter was issued.

He was never exhibited aggressive or inappropriate behavior beyond the fatal incident.  Just a lack of understanding or unwilling to accept. Between his two letters, we were dropped from both his and his former wife's law suits.  He still is banned.

You wrote about criminal activities on Museum property.  You can use that as a basis.  You don;t need to have an arrest or trial.  Banning the person is an administrative action which requires less proof then a criminal action.  But you should have some type of documentation such at witness statements, photos, etc.  

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Raymond Meyer
    Safety-Security Manager
    Aerospace Museum of California
    McClellan, CA 95652
    safety-security@aerospaceca.org