Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Docent Volunteers as Board members

• 1.  Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-08-2021 07:39 PM

Our museum has two board directors who are trained docents. One leads tours in addition to her board service. The other, who is also an officer on the board, feels it is a conflict of interest to lead museum tours while serving on the board and likes to state this regularly. Our organization does not have a policy against doing both. Is there any reason to believe there is a conflict of interest here and it should be avoided?

Lisa Hastreiter-Lamb

Executive Director & Curator

She, Her, Hers

The Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures

4455 E. Camp Lowell Drive  Tucson, AZ 85712

p.520.881.0606 ext.102   f.520.881.9307

www.theminitimemachine.org

This message and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system. 

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-09-2021 09:40 AM
    Lisa,

Interesting question. So much depends on personalities.

I see a conflict of interest in the area of authority. If you as executive director and curator determine what's included in a tour, and also manage docents and evaluate their performance (that's a lot of ifs), then a board member as docent seems like a clear conflict if the board member in turn has any say, in their other role, in your position or evaluation. It's a role-switching authority inversion that can become uncomfortable unless there's a very good personal relationship and common understanding underpinning the situation.

A note on this "authority inversion" from experience -- I'm probably preaching to the choir, so skip this if it's old news! An authority structure, influenced by relationships, also depends on what kind of authority is involved: statutory (these are the rules, follow them as I direct), moral (do the right thing as we all should do, and as I expect), and earned (follow me and do what I want you to do because you respect my judgment). If you have a very good and open relationship with both people involved, you might discuss who's in authority in what ways and when, and head off any problems with clear agreement.

Another angle to consider is how you receive input from docents -- is anyone full of good ideas you can't or shouldn't do, so they go straight to the board member, their fellow docent, and try to influence the operation by going around you? It's possible (i.e., it has happened elsewhere).

One potential solution is that you might switch your docent/board member to another status -- say, a very engaged board member who loves to give a tour now and then, according to established docent practice, but who is not a member of the group of docents evaluated on that performance. That way they get to stay involved in tours, they understand your concerns and your responsibilities, and the potential for issues of authority inversion based on role-switching is eliminated. 

Those are just a few thoughts from my perspective in a large institution. I'm curious to see others' points of view.

Cheers,
    Doug

------------------------------
    Doug Lantry
    Curator & Historian, Research Division
    National Museum of the U.S. Air Force
    Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
    douglas.lantry.1@us.af.mil

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-09-2021 10:16 AM

Doug makes great points. In smaller organizations, it is not uncommon for board members to do hands on work and they always have to be clear about authority. I know of one case where a board member who worked at the admissions desk wanted to keep the front door open for fresh air. The curator told her that was not acceptable and she said… "I'm a board member, you work for me." So sometimes, it's easier to set rules rather than deal with specific personalities. But if the docents don't abuse their positions and muddy the waters, I'd be thrilled that they are still so involved so I'd deal with issues on a case by case basis.

This all presumes they are unpaid. If they are paid, I'd be less comfortable. 

While we are having this discussion, let's acknowledge that board members' spouses are often welcomed as volunteers and the behind the scenes politicking can be just as insidious. 

Laura Roberts
    Principal
    Roberts Consulting
    Cambridge MA

• 4.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-09-2021 10:27 AM
    Hi Lisa,

My husband and I both discussed your question this morning, and we don't see a conflict of interest based on the information you provided. 

The only hesitation we had was considering whether or not she is paid to give tours. If she is paid to give tours, it could be seen as a personal gain. Especially because she could use her board member status as leverage to persuade staff to schedule tours for her over other docents. It may not even be her actively persuading them; it could be an unconscious decision by staff to schedule her more often since she is a board member. Regardless, this entire scenario is based upon the idea that she is paid. If she receives no compensation, then we personally see no issue with it. It is a great benefit to have a board member so actively engaged in your institution. 

Sincerely,

Caitlin 

--

Caitlin Clay

Curator of Exhibitions

she/her/hers

Art Museum of Southeast Texas

500 Main Street

Beaumont, Texas 77701

www.amset.org

Email: cclay@amset.org

Phone: (409) 832-3432

Fax: (409) 832-8508

• 5.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-09-2021 11:58 AM

Thank you all for your input. Our docents are not paid. I am not in charge of the docent. Our education director trains and supervises them, though I do introduce the content of exhibits to them on occasion. Most board members feel having a docent involved in the board has been positive and I agree. Because of their training, the docent's knowledge of the collection and exhibits is deeper than most of the other board members, and their interaction with the public provides them a broader perspective on how the museum is perceived by the public. Like Caitlin, I am grateful to have someone so engaged that she is willing to take on two volunteer roles in our museum. I appreciate all your responses.   

Lisa Hastreiter-Lamb

She, Her, Hers

This message and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system. 

• 6.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-09-2021 12:13 PM
    I'm happy to hear it's working for you! Thanks for posting an interesting question.

Cheers,
    Doug

Doug Lantry
    Curator & Historian, Research Division
    National Museum of the U.S. Air Force
    Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
    douglas.lantry.1@us.af.mil

• 7.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-09-2021 12:20 PM

Doug- You made some very good points that I will keep in mind and share with the Board president who was curious to hear what the response would be. Thank you!

Lisa Hastreiter-Lamb

She, Her, Hers

• 8.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-09-2021 03:20 PM
    Hi Lisa,

I have had similar experiences with volunteer docents becoming board members and with board members training to serve as volunteer docents. I've never heard it presented as a conflict of interest. As long as it's not in the bylaws, and especially if there is no compensation for either role, I don't understand where there could be a conflict of interest. I don't see how personal gain could be achieved, and I don't understand how working with the tours could cloud your director's judgement.   However, I'm always open to learning new things if someone has a different viewpoint. 

Where things might get tricky is for your docent manager who is responsible for training, scheduling, and evaluating docent performance.  Yet, I don't believe this is any more difficult or different than working with board members as volunteers for fundraisers or other events/activities and is something we all learn to navigate. 

Maybe your board member no longer wants to serve in the docent role and is unwilling to say outright? It might be worth a conversation to ask why they consider it a conflict of interest. If they keep sharing this inaccurate opinion, it could have the harmful effect of dissuading current or future docents and directors. 

Donna L. Merkt

Director

South Dakota Art Museum

1036 Medary Avenue, Box 2250, Brookings, SD 57007

Donna.Merkt@sdstate.edu | SouthDakotaArtMuseum.com

325.260.6622 Mobile | 605.688.5423 Museum

• 9.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-09-2021 04:44 PM

Thank you for sharing Donna. I think you are correct about the person trying to save face concerning continuing at a docent.

Lisa Hastreiter-Lamb

She, Her, Hers

• 10.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-10-2021 07:22 AM
    Lisa--
    An interesting discussion. One thing to consider, and rules for nonprofits vary by state, but board members govern collectively, not individually so a board member who believes she is the individual boss of a museum's paid staff is misinformed. As Laura Roberts and others pointed out sometimes size dictates that board members in small organizations have multiple roles. With many it works well, but all need to realize that their individual wishes and desires have to be discussed and agreed upon by the full board, not just announced by individual fiat.
    Joan Baldwin

Joan Baldwin
    Curator-Special Collections - The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT

• 11.  RE: Docent Volunteers as Board members

Posted 09-10-2021 12:22 PM

Thank you for your comments Joan. Our board members do understand that they rule collectively. When they become board members, they are asked to disclose anything that could be a conflict of interest. Because one board member felt his docent position was a conflict of interest, we tried to consider if that could be true. Based on our discussion we determined it was not a conflict of interest, especially considering board members who are docents could recuse themselves from voting if a decision that impacted the docent program came up. My primary reason for asking the question was to be sure there is nothing we overlooked that could make it a matter of concern or something to be avoided. It's been great to hear from so many.

Lisa Hastreiter-Lamb

She, Her, Hers