Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  2019 Session Proposal: Intersections with Other Disciplines

Posted 09-05-2018 09:41 AM
    Hi everyone,

A little late to the game on session proposal planning but... I'm interested in exploring how work in (and examples from) other disciplines can intersect with and inform the museum world to increase relevancy, push the boundaries of transformation, and do better work. I tend to see potential applications to our field everywhere--from conflict resolution to UX learning design to environmental advocacy to cooking. Curious to know if others are interested in or have examples from beyond museums that we can use to advance the work we do. 

I'm always interested in self reflection but I worry sometime we do a little too much navel gazing! Please drop me a line here or email me at annielundsten@gmail.com if you'd like to look outward with me!

Thanks,
    Annie

------------------------------
    Annie Lundsten
    Consultant / Museum Services
    Natick MA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: 2019 Session Proposal: Intersections with Other Disciplines

Posted 09-07-2018 08:21 AM
    ​Good Morning Annie,

Clearly there is nothing like the last minute so I am writing to note that I am interested in joining you on a panel. I am the Chief of Programs and Education at the National Museum of the US Army (not yet open) and we are developing programs that look well beyond what many consider we might be "known for," military history. Among our planned programs (and yes, there will be military history offerings) are art, movement, play, GSTEM, social history, music, and environment. Each one is designed, we hope, to link to other elements in an effort to show that life isn't as simple as we imagine and often there is a bit of the engineer in every artist or a little dance in our GSTEM efforts. Our idea is to have disciplines radiate out from the museum in hopes of striking those natural intersections and pulling them all back together.

I hope to hear from you.

Patrick

Patrick Jennings PhD
    Chief, Programs & Education
    National Museum of the United States Army
    Fort Belvoir VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: 2019 Session Proposal: Intersections with Other Disciplines

Posted 09-10-2018 08:44 AM
    As a curious middle school math educator and lover of art, I frequently took my students to museums to discover the geometry of art, e.g., Picasso sculpture at MOMA, Kandinsky at Guggenheim, Storm King sculpture park. Students embraced the mathematical perspective in addition to the more traditional interpretation of technique, formal aesthetic elements and period context. Now, having launched a venture to commercialize this concept in museums and gardens, and researching similar offerings, I am struck by the lack of math in art museum educational programming. Yet to view a work through a mathematical lens adds not only adds so much to the experience, but also draws in people who typically are less interested in paintings and sculpture. I'd be happy to elaborate. Please look at my website urbanmathtrails.com and contact me if you would like to discuss: urbanmathtrails@gmail.com.

Jan Cohen
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: 2019 Session Proposal: Intersections with Other Disciplines

Posted 09-10-2018 12:11 PM
    I run a little university photography gallery, but try to partner with/co-sponsor for audience building with other groups, especially in unrelated areas of the university, whenever appropriates. My current show (a Filipino-American photographer) is co-sponsored by the Multicultural Center & International Student Affairs. In the past I've had exhibitions that linked to the Centre Francopone, the Institute for Human Rights and Humanitarian Studies, and others. We are a member of AAM

If this is anything that could contribute to the conversation, I'd be happy to join a panel.

Bill Barrett
    Director
    May Gallery, Webster University
    Saint Louis MO