Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

• 1.  Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-04-2020 02:39 PM
    I hope everyone is safe and well in these challenging times. I'm curious if any of you have had experience (science museums, etc.) including smells in an exhibition. Even beyond COVID-19 concerns, I'm interested in ways to let visitors experience smells safely, hygienically, and in a contained way that is still effective and engaging. Thank you for your thoughts!

------------------------------
    Brad Rosenstein
    Independent Curator
    San Francisco, CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-05-2020 07:05 AM

Dear Brad, 
    maybe a consult with an important artist that has been working with scent for a very long time. 

she is Brazilian but lives in nyc. Last year won an international Art and Olfaction Sadakichi Award and had an exhibition at the museum of contemporary art in São Paulo in Brazil  
    I will write her and introduce you

http://www.joselycarvalho.com/
    josely@joselycarvalho.com

Barbara S. Krulik
    Krulik Cultural Consulting Services
    barbaraskrulik@gmail.com
    New York

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-05-2020 03:23 PM
    Barbara, thank you so much for your kind reply, and for connecting me with Josely. Her work sounds fascinating, and I will follow up.

Brad Rosenstein
    Curator/Educator/Program Producer
    San Francisco CA

• 4.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-08-2020 02:48 PM
    When I was at the University of Oklahoma I worked with artist Cathleen Faubert to create a multi-sensory exhibition to engage visitors with low vision and to enhance memory in all visitors. Faubert selected several landscape paintings and developed scents based on the plants, etc. depicted in the painting. It was very effective!

Susan Baley
    Executive Director
    108 Contemporary
    Tulsa OK

• 5.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-09-2020 01:27 PM
    Thanks so much, Susan. Just been looking at some of Cathleen's work online, which sounds fascinating.

All best,
    Brad

Brad Rosenstein
    San Francisco CA

• 6.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-05-2020 10:31 AM
    Two places that I saw put on great scent only shows were MAD in NYC https://madmuseum.org/exhibition/art-scent and an installation at Mediamatic in Amsterdam https://www.mediamatic.net/en/page/371913/het-parfum that was work with the Institute of Art & Olfaction in LA. https://artandolfaction.com/
    I too am interested in this subject; would you please share what you find?
    Thanks and stay well,
    Nezka

Nezka Pfeifer
    Museum Curator
    Missouri Botanical Garden
    Saint Louis MO

• 7.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-05-2020 03:17 PM
    Wonderful information, Nezka, thank you so much. Yes, I will happily share what I find. Take care and be well.

Brad Rosenstein
    San Francisco CA

• 8.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-05-2020 11:27 AM
    Hi Brad!

We have been doing smells for about 12 years now and many are triggered in different parts of the museum tour. We also cook, provide, and eat historical dishes as part of our NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM offering. This allows people to eat history and taste it first hand. You are on the right path as what we have been doing is featured on CBS, NBC, PBS, ABC, FOX, CNN, Vitaya of Europe, BrussellsTV, and NHK Tokyo as well as in 160+ newspapers and magazines reaching three billion readers and viewers.

Once we began this form of actors leading tours in first and third person (switching back and forth with multiple character voices and accents) as well as eating and smelling history - things really took off.

Thank you, from Marti

Martin CJ Mongiello, MBA, MA, MCFE.

CEO and CMO at The United States Presidential Service Center Foundation Trusts and US Presidential Culinary Museum. White House Military Office badge number 14592, 301 Cleveland Avenue, Grover, NC 28073
    001 (704) 937-2940 

www.PresidentialServiceCenter.org

www.PresidentialCulinaryMuseum.org

GM of The Inn of the Patriots country inn www.TheInnofthePatriots.com

"Enjoy a night at the museum!"

• 9.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-05-2020 03:22 PM
    Thanks so much, Marti! I am a big believer in immersive experiences, so appreciate your encouragement, and your work sounds wonderful. Smell (and taste) have sometimes played a major role in the programs I've produced, and I'm very interested in ways to do this appropriately within an exhibition.

Brad Rosenstein
    San Francisco CA

• 10.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-09-2020 04:07 PM
    Hi Brad,

I've seen squeeze bottles and scratch and sniff products used for scents in science museum exhibits.

The scratch and sniff was for an exhibit about fungi (the smell of decaying wood) and the scratch cards were a much more accurate representation of the smell than any of the liquid oil products available.

Using squeeze bottles usually entails putting drops of scent onto cotton balls in the bottles and perforating the bottle tops so that scent is released when the bottles are squeezed. 

In both cases, you have to plan/budget for regularly refreshing/replacing the scent, generally about once a week.

--
    Betsy Loring
    she/her/hers
    expLoring exhibits & engagement, LLC
    6 Farnum Street
    Worcester, MA 01602

Phone: +1 (978) 618 - 9673

• 11.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-16-2020 05:47 PM
    Thanks, Betsy - it's useful to hear of the various nuts and bolts approaches to this.

All best,
    Brad

Brad Rosenstein
    San Francisco CA

• 12.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-05-2020 11:44 AM
    Hi Brad,

Katia Johansen, a textile conservator at the Royal Danish Collections, did a project about historic perfumed textiles some 12 or 14 years ago.  I attended a conference where she gave a paper about her work that included a bevy of scent samples that people could experience using the paper samplers that perfumers use when they're developing scents.  I believe Katia is now retired but I may be able to find current contact information for her--I'll try.  I don't remember if she turned her work into an exhibition but it might be worth inquiring.

I also attended an exhibition about scent and perfume at the Courtauld Galleries in London a couple of years ago that made similar use of paper scent samplers.  I'll try to scare that information up for you as well.

Melissa

Melissa Leventon
    Principal
    [Curatrix Group]
    San Francisco CA

• 13.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-05-2020 03:27 PM
    Hi Melissa, and thanks so much! Yes, since perfume is my current motivation in asking this question, I had been considering paper samplers. I'd very much appreciate any further leads or information you can turn up.

Brad Rosenstein
    San Francisco CA

• 14.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-08-2020 08:44 AM
    Hi Brad,

Two exhibits I'm aware of using scent are:

"A Taste of Science", which is a travelling exhibit about the science behind preserving foods for safe consumption. You can get in touch with the museum that developed it here: https://ingeniumcanada.org/exhibitions/taste-of-science-travelling

The other, "Warflowers", had special scents developed by a perfumer to help evoke the dried flowers that an officer had mailed home from France in letters to his family during WWI. You may be able to contact exhibit's producer here: https://warflowers.ca/

Very different topics, but in both, the use of scent is really crucial in conveying the information. (In my experience, you don't often see scent used very often for history topics, so I loved how it was used in this latter exhibit.)

Best wishes,

Michelle Watson
    Managing Director

• 15.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-08-2020 03:37 PM
    This is wonderful info, Michelle, many thanks for sharing. I will follow up.

All best,
    Brad

Brad Rosenstein
    San Francisco CA

• 16.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-08-2020 09:46 AM
    Dear Brad, 
    Explus, Inc fabricated and installed a "Scent Organ" at Longwood Gardens (PA) that allowed visitors to mix 3 scents and then a card pops out with their new perfume design. The scents were all based on flowers located within the gardens and "Scent Stations" were deposited throughout the gardens tour path. The stations provided live examples of the plants plus graphics showing the mix of plants or possibly how many pounds of petals required to make an Oz. of perfume. Unsure of Longwood still has that exhibit running?

Clete Wood
    (the former project manager at Explus for that Longwood Gardens exhibit)
    Museum Preparator
    MoPOP  (Seattle, WA)

Clete Wood
    Museum of Pop Culture
    Seattle WA

• 17.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-08-2020 03:40 PM
    This sounds amazing, Clete! What an imaginative interactive display.

All best,
    Brad

Brad Rosenstein
    San Francisco CA

• 18.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-09-2020 01:12 PM
    Clete, is there anything written up with more details on this project? It sounds brilliant and I'd love to learn more.

Many thanks,
    Brad

Brad Rosenstein
    San Francisco CA

• 19.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-08-2020 10:06 AM
    Dear Brad,
    You might want to see the fascinating work of Caro Verbeek, a Dutch researcher and curator specialized in smell in Art History: http://www.caroverbeek.nl/
    Have a nice day,
    Alba

Alba Campo-Rosillo
    Ph.D. Student
    Philadelphia PA

• 20.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-08-2020 03:41 PM
    Wonderful, Alba, I will explore her work. Many thanks!

All best,
    Brad

Brad Rosenstein
    San Francisco CA

• 21.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-09-2020 10:08 AM
    Dear Brad,

I highly recommend the work of my colleague, Marie Clapot, Assoc. Educator at The Met, who has been working intently with scents for gallery teaching for the past several years. Through the lens of accessibility, she has developed tremendous themes to expand content, introduce artistic process and materials, and has designed scents inspired by works of art.

Please feel free to message me directly (William.Gassaway@metmuseum.org) if I can put you in touch. She has a wealth of tips as well as publications on the use of scents in gallery teaching that she may be able to share as well.

With best wishes,
    William

William T. Gassaway, PhD
    Assistant Educator
    Academic and Professional Programs, Education
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art

William Gassaway PhD
    Assistant Educator
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art
    New York NY

• 22.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-10-2020 06:44 AM
    Brad,

Luci Creative recently designed a perfume museum with a number of different scent/smelling stations, using techniques often found in European perfumeries.

If you're interested in learning more about these techniques, please reach out to me directly and I'll put you in touch with someone from our team who will have more detailed info than I do. My email is david@lucicreative.com and my cell is 617.877.0211

Here's a link to some info about the project: https://lucicreative.com/projects/perfume-passage/

Best,

David

David Whitemyer AIA
    Director of Business Development
    Luci Creative
    Lincolnwood IL

• 23.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-11-2020 06:15 AM
    To add to all these discussions about using smell to enhance the visitor experience, I offer two hotlinks to descriptions of Disney's Smellitzer which is used in the parks to add complementary aromas to the Disney experience.

Robert C. Ford, PhD
    Professor of Management Emeritus
    Department of Management
    College of Business Administration
    4000 Central Florida Blvd.
    P.O. Box 161400
    University of Central Florida
    Orlando, Florida 32816-1400
    Phone: 407-601-4616; Fax: 407-823-3725

• 24.  RE: Featuring Smells in an Exhibition

Posted 06-12-2020 05:34 PM
    Thanks so much, Robert! I appreciate your sharing this.

Brad