Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Solicit free design in RFP?

• 1.  Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 08-28-2018 01:39 PM
    I've heard AAM has language censoring (prohibiting?) member institutions from soliciting work for free in RFPs.  Does anybody know where I can find that language, or what it says?  I'd like to cite it in an article I'm writing.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Barbara

Barbara Punt
    Punt Consulting Group
    409 North PCH, Suite 326
    Redondo Beach, CA 90277
    (310) 937-3366
    barbara@puntconsulting.com

When in Doubt...Punt!

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 08-29-2018 10:46 AM
    Hello...this may help...

AIGA: https://www.aiga.org/position-spec-work
    http://www.no-spec.com/info-for-businesses

------------------------------
    Allen Yee
    Digital Designer
    Brooklyn NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 08-29-2018 10:52 AM
    Barbara,

Not sure if AAM has ever published anything official although many issues of the Exhibitionist Magazine addressed "Design on Spec."
    AIGA has published this statement: 
    What is AIGA's position on spec work? And how are ethical standards determined
    And the American Institute of Architects has a code of ethics (Rule 3.301) with questions and answers re: "free design services."
    Happy to forward you the <g class="gr_ gr_453 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="453" data-gr-id="453">pdfs</g> outside of this forum.

Matt Kirchman
    President | Creative Director
    ObjectIDEA
    Salem MA

• 4.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 08-30-2018 08:21 AM
    Barbara,

I think that the previously replies to your question will be of help to you. However, concerning AAM prohibiting museums from obtaining free work in connection with pursuing RFPs, I have not heard of such, in several decades of serving in peer review programs for AAM. I hasten to add that I am not speaking on behalf of AAM, but only from my experience. I would rather not speculate further about the matter, though for my own purposes, I may investigate further.

I recommend that you contact AAM directly, and speak with the staff there regarding your question. Anecdotal evidence may not support your research sufficiently, and I think that you will find the AAM folks to be quite helpful in clearing up your inquiries.

Best,
    Bruce

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Cooperstown NY

• 5.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 08-30-2018 10:18 AM
    Hey Barbara, long time!
    I know you're not asking for outside opinions but I think about this all the time and can't resist.  I wish the AIGA position were a little stronger.  I can think of three reasons a museum asks for work on spec:

First, they want something for free.  I think this is a bad idea because at this stage of the process the designer barely knows the client's needs and the deliverable suffers as a result.  In essence "you get what you pay for".
    Second, the museum wants to "see how the designer works". This is an admirable goal but there are probably better ways to do it.  I like adding a small "homework" assignment to design solicitations, asking designers to work on one small issue that is more theoretical than targeted.  For example, the RFP could ask "what are some techniques to draw visitors deeper into the lobby upon entering" or "what new technologies help reduce audio overlap between adjacent exhibits?".  Then during the interview, the designer could share their thinking on that topic and the museum can gain an understanding of how they tackle design.  It also makes interviews much more interesting.
    Third, the entire project- not just the design effort - is speculative in nature, which is common in commercial real estate but rare in museums. In this situation I guess the museum could treat the design effort like a commercial developer: bring in a designer for spec work such that the designer becomes a development partner and takes on some of the ownership risk (i.e. their design fees are at risk based on whether the project moves forward, which they don't particularly control). I think this strategy could work but there are downsides: to be fair, the designer should be compensated for the substantial risk they are taking which means the museum pays more overall for design. How much more?  I don't know but I'll bet it's a substantial premium.  Also, whereas there are many commercial and multi-family architects accustomed to working on spec, I don't think you will find many museum designers who are.  This strategy may drastically limit the talent pool. 

So, long story short: it might make sense to contract design services on spec but the museum really needs to think about why they're asking for it and what they want to accomplish. The museum might be giving up more than they get.

Hope you're doing well!

Sean

Sean Regan
    Managing Director
    Regan Associates, LLC
    and Owner's Rep for the Walters Art Museum

• 6.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 08-31-2018 12:30 AM
    Thank you all for identifying other organizations' positions on this and for supplying your own thoughts as to how one might approach this.  Very good fodder for my article!

If anyone else had additional thoughts about this feel free to contact me directly at Barbara@puntconsulting.com.

Cheers,
    Barbara

Barbara Punt
    President
    Punt Consulting Group
    Redondo Beach CA 902
    javascript:AddSignatureVariable('barbara@puntconsulting.com');

• 7.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 08-31-2018 04:35 PM
    Hi Barbara,
    I agree with your previous respondents: speculative design is neither ethical nor effective, except when very limited as in the "homework" examples as a way of structuring interview dialogue that shows how they work (the homework results should not be deliverables).

The points I wish to add are about why museums are tempted to ask for spec design. I have run across two main reasons:

1.They want fund raising visuals for free. They hope to use the spec designs to raise the money for the project. This may be OK if:

a) they disclose that they don't yet have the funds, and that they intend to use the designer's work to try to sell it.
    b) they agree to include the designer as a listed part of the team in their sales materials and follow up with at least first-refusal contracts if it is funded
    c) they intended funders are not likely to demand a competitive RFP if their money is to be used -- often the case with public money.

2. They are aware of the architectural and public art practice of design competitions, and assume the same process can work selecting exhibit designers. I have written elsewhere (Jacobsen, Museum Manager's Compendium, Rowman & Littelfield, 2016, pg 2) why design competitions are usually flawed, so I do not recommend the exhibit design community adopt the practice.

Cheers,  John

John Jacobsen
    CEO
    White Oak
    Marblehead MA

• 8.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 09-20-2018 03:28 PM
    I am a graphic designer, and agree with AIGA's statement about the danger of spec work, which everyone has linked to. Are you also wondering about pro bono work, wherein an ad agency partners with a non-profit for mutual success? There is a contract, brief, deliverables, and transparency in this relationship that can be beneficial for all parties: museums get access to talent and agencies get to make award-winning work. Museums can be great pro bono clients because we have interesting ideas to sell! However, museums need to be able to be flexible and spontaneous because what is offered or delivered may be off brief. Developing and maintaining a relationship with the right partner can be a challenge. There are lots of conversations about this out there. Some PRO pro bono articles are here and here, from the ad agency perspective. An ANTI pro bono article here. Some ideas about being a good client can be extrapolated here. Taproot connects creatives with causes, though it may be more project-based than some institutions need. In terms of how to write an RFP, look at existing RFPs for agencies of record. But mostly try to narrow down who you'd send this to: go to a mixer, speaking event, awards show, or other AIGA event (substitute another professional organization for other needs) and meet some people! Most events are free or low-cost and AIGA has chapters in many cities and regions.

*I've gotten all my jobs through people I've met via AIGA, hence my unsolicited support of them... They also offer health insurance to members, a godsend for freelancers, and basic contracts, resources, etc.

Amanda Boesen
    Graphic Designer
    Oakland Museum of California
    Oakland CA

• 9.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 09-21-2018 04:47 PM
    Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the detailed answer.  I wasn't referring to pro bono work per se, although I guess you might call submitting any work without pay a pro bono gesture.  I appreciate all the urls and information for variations on my original question.

Cheers,
    Barbara

Barbara Punt
    President
    Punt Consulting Group
    Redondo Beach CA

• 10.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 09-21-2018 06:53 AM
    Hi Barbara,
    You may already be aware of NAME's Ethics Statement on its website, including the statements against speculative work:

Paul Orselli
    President and Chief Instigator
    POW!

• 11.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 10-19-2018 09:53 AM
    I find the idea of an unpaid "homework assignment" just as unethical. If you want design services, pay for them.
    Designers make their livings by billing for professional time – end of story.
    There are other ways to evaluate and choose the right design talent. Do you see yourself in their portfolio? Have you checked their references? Can you afford them? Do you feel "chemistry" for having interviewed them and gotten to know them?
    If you want to know how a designer works, then you may have to pay the price: get in a car or a train or an airplane and visit their studio and spend some time with them You might ask if they will meet you at a conference or something like that. Most designers are very eager to meet with potential clients rather than add studio time on spec' work, hoping to get it right.

Matthew Kirchman
    President | Creative Director
    ObjectIDEA
    Salem MA

• 12.  RE: Solicit free design in RFP?

Posted 10-22-2018 11:47 AM
    Hi Matthew,

Yes, I completely agree. I don't remember if I answered Paul on this forum or privately, but I think in addition to the ethics of asking for work for free there's also no benefit to the client. An effective design requires their participation. I've had a few clients who offered a stipend for firms on the short list to do a small and extremely well defined scope and bring it to their interview.

I think that can be beneficial to both parties and provides a good basis for discussion, as long as the client truly understands this may not be the ultimate solution in their eyes (because the conversation's barely started) but represents one possible way of looking at things.

Barbara Punt
    President
    Punt Consulting Group
    Redondo Beach CA