Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Would you recommend Expression Engine as a website platform?

Posted 09-14-2018 03:22 PM
    Hi all,

I've been asked to evaluate Expression Engine as a web platform, compared to Drupal or Wordpress. I'd love to hear from any of you whose sites are built in EE and why you chose to use it. 

Also, from those of you who've compared EE with the others and chose not to use it.

Thanks very much in advance, as always,

Robin

Robin White Owen
    M: 917/407-7641
    T: 646/472-5145

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Would you recommend Expression Engine as a website platform?

Posted 09-17-2018 11:07 AM
    Edited by Allen Yee 09-17-2018 11:08 AM
    Hi Robin,
    Really good question. Expression Engine is a proprietary Content Management System so at a certain point, you will need to pay to use it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EllisLab

Drupal and Wordpress are completely free to use and extend. We primarily design and develop sites for our civic-minded clients in either of these platforms. For simpler brochure sites, wordpress will work. For more complex sites, Drupal is better.

We have found that there are developers and programmers familiar with WP and Drupal, EE must less so. It's all PHP/MySQL so a competent PHP developer could figure them all out.

Also...not once in my 10 years of building web platforms has EE been a top contender. I know that my experience can't be taken as word but just relaying my experience. 

Hope this helps.
    Allen

------------------------------
    Allen Yee
    Digital Designer
    Brooklyn NY
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Would you recommend Expression Engine as a website platform?

Posted 09-18-2018 11:50 AM
    Hi Allen,

Thanks very much for your advice. I agree with you but the client has EE on their minds so we're doing some due diligence.

All best,

Robin

Robin White Owen
    M: 917/407-7641
    T: 646/472-5145