Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Magnet Puzzle material recommendation

Posted 01-31-2017 03:54 PM
    Greeting Colleagues,

As a designer who is struggling to find a child proof exhibit I realize / hope someone out there has found the perfect solution. My client has four puzzles - cut from Sintra with direct printing - these are mounted to magnets. The issues include: dirty surfaces (yes, images are pastel colored), dings on edges, several have broken and the magnets are a bit too robust for small hands to pry off the magnet wall. I researched online - finding examples using acrylics, solid parts (not printed), and direct printed plywood. These may be options for me to prototype however, I'm open to all suggestions. 

Thanks,
    Pattie

------------------------------
    Pattie Ann Smith
    Independent Contractor
    Tampa FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Magnet Puzzle material recommendation

Posted 02-01-2017 08:31 AM
    Try getting in touch with Visual Magnetics— they might have a solution for you: Visual Magnetics
    Visualmagnetics remove preview
    Visual Magnetics
    © 2016 Visual Magnetics Limited Partnership | Dynamic Spaces | VM-Graphic System | Design by Malcolm Grear Designers
    View this on Visualmagnetics >
    . They

Shari Berman
    Partner
    Evidence Design
    Brooklyn NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Magnet Puzzle material recommendation

Posted 02-01-2017 04:34 PM
    Hi Pattie Ann,
    For our magnetic puzzle pieces, we usually use a layer of sheet magnet material on the back of 1/2" black Sintra which holds nicely, but not too strongly to a graphic (vinyl with lex overlam) applied to sheet steel mounted to 1/2" Sintra. The puzzle pieces are also a vinyl print with matt overlam (which will help with cleanability), with beveled edges. For other puzzle activities, we've also used 1/16" iZone phenolic laminated to Sintra. Even if you bevel or round the edges, the phenolic can still chip over time. So we've also dropped the phenolic into a pocket dadoed in the Sintra, with an 1/8" border. These Sintra edges can still get dented, but the image is protected, and the dented edges can be re-routed or sanded periodically. 

Would love to hear any better solutions you find!

Kelly

Kelly Fernandi
    President/Creative Director
    Minotaur Mazes
    Seattle WA

• 4.  RE: Magnet Puzzle material recommendation

Posted 02-02-2017 11:17 AM
    Hi Pattie

I'd think about direct print onto magnetic vinyl sheet. Would not have the thickness or weight of Sintra or plywood, but should not chip. Not sure about controlling dirty fingers. If the images are not very detailed and the pieces are large, you could look into direct printing on a loop pile carpet. But would need to bind the edges somehow. In general, a flexible material seems a better bet than a rigid one.

Hope to see you before long.

Mark

Mark Driscoll
    Designer
    Montgomery AL

• 5.  RE: Magnet Puzzle material recommendation

Posted 02-03-2017 03:38 PM
    Mark, Shari and Kelly - thanks for your insights, links and suggestions. Hope to test a few of the options and see what I come up with. If I find a super solution I'll share with the forum. 

Mark - hope to see you soon too! 

Pattie

Pattie Ann Smith
    Independent Contractor
    Tampa FL