Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Online Museum - Omeka

Posted 06-20-2017 09:08 AM
    We have the creation of a virtual museum as part of our strategic plan.  That has led us to online templates designed for museums, and "Omeka" is high on the list.

Any Omeka users in this Forum? It would greatly help to get some tips and guidance from experienced users.

------------------------------
    Greg Moss
    Museum Planning Committee
    International Society of Antique Scale Collectors (www.isasc.org)
    Pittsburgh, PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Online Museum - Omeka

Posted 06-21-2017 06:29 AM
    Edited by Colin Windhorst 06-21-2017 06:31 AM
    ​I have successfully built several exhibits on Omeka, relating to history relevant to Eastern Maine.  The program is simple enough in conception,--always remember to save your work--but there are plenty of frustrations along the way that require patience and persistence.  Participating in the Omeka forum is a great way to seek answers to problems as they arise. and there is a very active user community willing to share solutions and respond to questions.  Be prepared to learn a lot more about the application of Dublin Core standards, which form the underlying structure of the collections metadata.   The plug-ins are many and various, and each one seems to have its own learning curve.  Some things appear to work better that others.  I have entered some materials that I am still looking for. If you would like to check out one exhibit, try Browse Exhibits · Norumbega
    Norumbega remove preview
    Browse Exhibits · Norumbega
    Framing the Atlantic Charter by Colin J. C. Windhorst is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at http://norumbega.org/admin/. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at See individual items.
    View this on Norumbega >

Comments are welcome.

Colin Windhorst PhD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more