Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Accession without a Donor form

Posted 03-06-2019 04:14 PM
    Hi all,

I am curious if anyone/any institution uses a special kind of accession form for those objects that may have no donor attached to them? 
    If anyone has any ideas for formatting a different accession form, or examples of these kind of accession forms that they would be willing to share, please let me know! 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Emily Tipton
    Curator of Collections & Archivist
    Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum
    Vista, CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Accession without a Donor form

Posted 03-07-2019 12:05 PM

For Museum Purchases being accessioned, I use the purchase receipt.  For accessions done before my time for which I cannot find documentation, I note as much in PastPerfect and print PastPerfect's accession form to be filed with the rest of the Deed of Gift paperwork.

Dana Neitzel

Curator

San Mateo County Historical Association

2200 Broadway, Redwood City, CA 94063

Ph: 650.299.0104, ext. 230 | Fax: 650.299.0141

dana@historysmc.org | www.historysmc.org

image002.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image004.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image006.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230  image008.jpg@01CFB22C.09A3D230

Current changing exhibits at the History Museum:

Our Story:  Transformation of a Courthouse & Twenty Years in Redwood City (through October 27, 2019)

After Promontory:  150 Years of Transcontinental Railroading (opens May 10, 2019)

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Accession without a Donor form

Posted 03-07-2019 12:41 PM
    Thank you so much for the tips Dana!

Emily Tipton
    Vista, CA

• 4.  RE: Accession without a Donor form

Posted 03-07-2019 12:10 PM
    You should look into your state's FIC laws (Found in Collection), in there are any.

Museum Registration Methods 5th Edition by Rebecca A. Buck and Jean Allman Gilmore
    A Legal Primer on Managing Museum Collections 3rd Edition by Marie Malaro

I've been relying pretty heavily on these books since I've started at my position. They cover a lot about undocumented objects, as well as other common issues found in museums.

Best,
    Shelby

Shelby Miller
    Curator/Dr. of Education and Outreach
    Galena History Museum
    Galena IL

• 5.  RE: Accession without a Donor form

Posted 03-07-2019 12:41 PM
    Shelby, thank you for including those resources, I will look into them!

Emily Tipton
    Vista, CA

• 6.  RE: Accession without a Donor form

Posted 03-08-2019 11:44 AM
    We have a separate form, the Purchase Agreement, that we send to vendors when acquiring work through purchase for the collection. This form confirms that the vendor holds title and is transferring title to the museum through purchase, or is acting as an agent for the artist. It also provides space for the vendor to enter provenance, exhibition history and bibliography as well as copyright holder.

If you contact me, I would be happy to provide you with a sample.

Best
    Peg Brady

Peg Brady
    Collections Dept Manager & Senior Registrar
    Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
    Stanford CA
    pbrady2@stanford.edu