Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Exhibit design advice on contradictions in accessibility measurements

Posted 11-28-2020 12:21 PM
    Hello Colleagues,
    I am designing a free-standing exhibit component "box" that has a flat wall on one side with circular cut-outs for visitors to look through. I plan to cut out a rectangle on the bottom portion of one side of that wall to allow front-on wheelchair access. I intended to make this 33" tall to accommodate the armrests (and arms), to allow visitors in wheelchairs to get close enough to the hole to see in easily. But the ADA regs state that wall mounted cases (which this is most similar to, but is actually free standing) must not be taller than 27" off the floor so that users with white canes will detect the structure and not run into it. My dilemma is how do I make the component accessible to wheelchair users without putting people with visual impairments using canes at risk? I could lower the cut out to 27" which would allow a person in a wheelchair to roll under it as far as the arm rest, but he/she would have to lean over a good bit to look in the cut-out. Or visitors might be able to pull up sideways and look through, but this seems very awkward at best. (Or is the 27" cane regulation not an issue because the component is a free standing wall and not wall mounted?) Help! I am sure many of you have already dealt with such an issue and I welcome your thoughts.
    Thanks!
    Rita Elliott

Virus-free. www.avg.com
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Exhibit design advice on contradictions in accessibility measurements

Posted 11-30-2020 08:42 AM
    Rita,
    One suggestion to investigate are Tactile Paving elements: truncated domes, detectable warnings, tactile paving, tactile tile, which is typically a system of textured ground surface indicators, its purpose is to provide a tactile surface on public pathways, access routes that can be felt underfoot and recognized as a warning of impending pedestrian hazard or directional information, particularly to the vision impaired or blind. Additionally, they can also give directional orientation to a person who must deviate from the continuous accessible path.

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager and Head of Education
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Exhibit design advice on contradictions in accessibility measurements

Posted 11-30-2020 08:45 AM

The 27" high / 4" protrusion rule is often misinterpreted and used when unnecessary. Although it's an extremely valuable guideline to consider everywhere for those with canes and/or seeing impairments, the ADA requires these dimensions for wall-mounted objects that protrude "into walks, halls, corridors, passageways, or aisles." Essentially, it needs to be considered for circulation routes and formal paths of egress. Depending on where you're placing your "box," the ADA rule might not have to be followed.

David Whitemyer AIA
    Director of Business Development
    Luci Creative
    Lincolnwood IL

• 4.  RE: Exhibit design advice on contradictions in accessibility measurements

Posted 12-01-2020 11:17 AM
    Dear Colleagues,
    Thank you all (those who replied in the forum and those who emailed me) for some enlightening and very useful information! Mark Osterman, you outlined an array of paving/tactile elements that I look forward to exploring (for this and future exhibits). David Whitemyer your clarification between circulation routes versus gallery area was a new and important point to be made aware of in this regard. The issues regarding detectable warnings as a collection rather than a one-off in museums was a critical point to learn. Thanks for that, Janice Majewski, and the clarification of Section 307.3 of ADA standards. Valerie Kinkade, I thought about using heavy plastic strips (like on dog door openings - I know that sounds horrible!) but knew that wouldn't work. Your idea of fringe is a great substitute and made me think that even a fine, light weigh chain or series of chains would work. Thank you all (and those who emailed me directly as well) for a lot of incredibly good ideas and information that has propelled me forward over this hurdle and given me lots to explore in future exhibits. (I hope replying this way reaches everyone; I've not responded to a question I've asked on the Open Forum before). Best wishes!
    Rita Elliott

Rita Elliott

• 5.  RE: Exhibit design advice on contradictions in accessibility measurements

Posted 11-30-2020 09:37 AM
    Hi Rita,

You're absolutely right to think of this opening as a possible cane-detection problem.  There are requirements for post-mounted protruding objects (that are not wall mounted) - ADA Standards, Section 307.3 - that have greater than 12" between posts that can be applied here if you think about the two wall edges as the posts.  There are compromises in the ADA to meet the needs of more than one group of people and this is one of them:  27" is the maximum height for cane-detection and the minimum height for a wheelchair user's knee clearance.  As wheelchairs have different heights and widths and scooters are different as well, giving someone 30"-36" of width (depending on the maneuvering required), 27" exactly of knee height clearance, and 17"-25" of depth into the box for toe clearance will meet the ADA requirements and most of your visitors' needs.   

As Mark said, detectable warnings alert people to potential hazards.  The problem is if there is only one warning in the museum, visitors who use canes may not recognize it as a warning.  Detectable warnings have to be part of a system so that visitors understand what they mean. Federal laws mandate them in very specific locations (e.g., bases of curb ramps, edges of transit platforms) so that people recognize their meaning. The other problem with them is that they can be trip hazards and very difficult for people who have mobility disabilities to roll over/walk over.  So they have to be used very carefully.

Hope that helps.
    Jan

Janice Majewski
    Director, Inclusive Cultural & Educational Projects
    Institute for Human Centered Design
    Boston MA

• 6.  RE: Exhibit design advice on contradictions in accessibility measurements

Posted 11-30-2020 02:01 PM
    Rita:  What about a fabric, "fringe," or movable material of some sort below the cut out to tactically signal to someone that something exists in that space?  It would easily move aside automatically as a wheel chair arm went under that part of the structure.

Valarie Kinkade
    Principal
    Museum and Collector Resource LLC
    Fort Lauderdale FL