Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  exhibition proposals

Posted 01-17-2018 12:51 PM
    I work as a sculptor and printmaker.  I have an established resume with many awards.  Recently a well known NY museum has asked me to submit what they term a "full proposal" as their curators, unlike the NY Metropolitan Museum, do not view artist portfolios.  many of their exhibits are developed by their in-house curators but they do consider outside individuals.

To quote...."this proposal must include high quality photographs of the works to be shown......timing for exhibition and display.....a budget for projected costs (framing, couriers, shipping, mounting, etc)".

This is clearly in the realm of ART AS BUSINESS and outside of my experience but I do want to pursue this.  I know museums pay for some exhibitions....but how do I broach this subject with these somewhat remote curators?  Do I ask their budget parameters and framing guidelines?  Who pays for shipping?  I have been in this NY museum many times and have a large series of drawings ENTIRELY APPROPRIATE  for their gallery and they do show contemporary work related to their collection.

Does the AAM have guidelines for these "full proposals".  This is outside my world of grantswriting and I will appreciate information.

Thank You,

Lynn Newcomb
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more